It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board

• Bladder Sling/UTI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2002, 12:02 PM   #31
    annie13

annie13 HB User
    Nicole,
    If you had the surgery would the OBGYN do it? If'in you don't like the urologist, that alone is a good sign not to let him or her do it! You are very welcome. Best of luck to you also. Annie.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2002, 08:48 AM   #32
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
    Nicole, My problems started about 2 years after my total hysterectomy. The best thing to do I found out is to empty every 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. and drink plenty of water daily. My bladder got so extended and forgot how to contract on it's own. I had to wear a cath bag for two weeks straight, and take med.s that help the bladder contract. I found out also that when my colon is not empting properly, the bladder wouldn't drain right. Like someone was standing on the hose!! Ouch. I still get bladder spasms sometimes but not like I used to. Seriously for me. I think my bowels got twisted when the yanked out my uterus. I was also compacted in my bowels at the time of the vag. hysterectomy. So it's possible that was what started the whole problem for me anyway.

Hi to you annie, let me know how the doc. appt. goes. I'll check in when I can. Had lots of fun with our company this last weekend, so much so that they will be coming again this weekend too. lol. Talk to you later, Diana

Old 09-30-2002, 08:43 PM   #33
    Cord's Mom

Cord's Mom HB User
    What kind of symptoms did you have that let you know the bladder was getting worse? If any I guess I am just not looking forward to being off work for a very long time.(not that I would mind it all that much but my checkbook would)
    Thank you,
    Nicole

Old 09-30-2002, 09:22 PM   #34
    annie13

annie13 HB User
    Nicole,
    If you mean before the surgery, when I had to wear the special pads for incontince. If you mean after the surgery, when the infection wouldn't clear up with all the antibotics I have been on. Also, I have painful voiding. And cloudy, dark urine. My recovery time was supposed to be 2 wks. and I could return to work. No heavy lifting for 6 weeks. But with the infections, my recovery hasn't happend yet. My pocket book has a hole that is still burning. I am back to work of course. But just barely able to preform duties that are expected of me. I am a tech. at a pharmacy. I walk, bend, reach, and stand all 8 hours of my shift. Well, except for breaks. They are very nice at my work though. The girls pitch in and help me alot. My boss is the greatest! Have you set a date? I do wish you the best whatever your decision is. Annie.

Hey Diana!!
    I am glad your weekend went great!! I will be seeing the general surgeon on MON. the 7th. Hopefully I will have better news. Back on the macrodantin and levaquin at the same time. Awaiting culture results. Been 5 days since last urinalysis. I called the dr. the nurse said, rudely, "he will call you with the results." Whatever!! Back to the same old, same old. How are you feeling these days? How is your mother? I hope your news is better than mine! Annie

Old 10-01-2002, 05:03 AM   #35
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nicole, I didn't have a bladder sling either, but I have had problems with bowels and emtying the bladder. I had a total hysterectomy too. I have to make sure my colon is empty so my bladder will drain properly, I have to urinate about every 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. or the bladder will stretch out and forget how to contract.(which already happened to me.) I still get bladder spasms sometimes. I also make sure I drink plenty of water. And hardly any caffine or alcohol, both of this tend to bring on the spasms.

Hi annie, My cold is doing better, I finally made a chiro. appt. they can't get me in till Oct 15th. Now I wish I'd called earlier. Hind sight is 20/20.lol. take care all, Diana
    PS. my first post didn't show up for me so this one sounds about the same.lol. Annie, my mom is doing pretty good. Her cataract removal went well, now she can hardly wait for the other eye to be done. That is scheduled for next monday the 7th. My daughter is suppose to have her spacers put in for braces on thurs. I guess those are pretty painful. Soon I'll begin painting in the house again. Colder weather is here again, that's what I like to do when it's cold out. Also I bought some Material to make a fleece blanket for my daughter for x-mas. It's nice to be home and not have to be sick just to stay home!! So I understand what Nicole is saying about the time off. But surgery is not the fun way to have some time at home that's for sure.
    Well bye for now. Talk soon, Diana

[This message has been edited by drs (edited 10-01-2002).]

Old 10-11-2002, 07:13 AM   #36
    Cord's Mom

Cord's Mom HB User
    I have not set a date for anything I just had my gullbladder removed last week and I am very scared to have any other surgery for a while. But sneezing and coughing and wetting myself is getting VERY old too. Did the surgery at least help with that? You guys have helped me a great deal thank you so much,
    Nicole

Old 10-12-2002, 05:56 AM   #37
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Annie will have to answer with the wetting problem, I didn't have a sling put in. I do have trouble in that area sometime if I've got a cold, I have to wear a light days pad for protection. I didn't know you just had gall bladder sugery!! Was it lazer surgery or did they have to cut you open? My girlfriend had that, she had a really bad infection, took awhile to heal up. No wonder you don't want to have another surgery right away.

Annie how are you doing these days? Diana

Old 10-12-2002, 07:50 PM   #38
    newdawn

newdawn HB User
    oh hun,
    I am so sorry I have had tons of UTI's lately I mean I don't even remember how many I have had... the nurse practioner sent my urine off to do a culture she thinks its a bacterial infection I am now on macrobid again and I feel awful tonight myself I had a full hysterectomy in March and did quite well but can't get rid of these infections I swear people who don't have these are so lucky hang in there I am so sorry and I will pray for you sweetie..
    take care,Renee'

Old 10-14-2002, 06:40 PM   #39
    Cord's Mom

Cord's Mom HB User
    Well I am feeling alot better now. They did the gallbladder by 4 small insions but I think that was the problem. That is the problem I was having with pain. The gas they pump you with has no way to excape and it has to be obsorberd by your body....yuk

I think I will make my appt. for my yearly visit and see if my bladder is getting any worse and then decide to decide if I should have the surgery...

Old 10-14-2002, 09:09 PM   #40
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Good luck to you Nicole, I know when I'm swollen from anything even gas, my bladder hurts worse, or goes into a spazy thing. Take care of yourself, hope you get good news. Diana
    PS. Where are you Annie?

Old 10-16-2002, 02:04 PM   #41
    annie13

annie13 HB User
    Hello Girls!!
    Sorry I haven't written. I have been so sick and busy at work. Update: going to new urologist, !!! Found a new family dr.!!! Downside, I found out the urologist stiched me up wrong. That is why I can't make love. Medically, I am healing ok in that department, however, the stiching was grossly done. He sewed me too small and did a poor job at that. I don't know what I am going to do now. It is supposed to "strech out" but he didn't leave me enough space down there to do so. My options, well, to redo the stiching. But, I may never feel anything again, or I may feel worse than it already does. Gee, what to do?!?! As far as the sling, I have a bone scan to do on the 28th of this month. It will show if the infection is in those stiches from the sling. They think my sling is not adapting to my body. Duh!! What a mess huh! I am not down though. I am still alive!!
    Nicole, I found a good urologist. He is very familar with this sling procudure. Don't worry. Just find the right dr. if you wish to have this done. And get a second opinion. They are other options. Discuss it with them. It is your body.
    Renee, Hello there! Thank you for the well wishes. My best to you as well. UTI's are horrible!!! Thank goodness for Pyridium!!
    Diana, I have missed writing to you!! Those fleece blankets are sooooo nice and soft and warm. She will be lucky to get it. I didn't know you sew!! You are a crafty person aren't you?! How are you doing these days my friend? I will write back again as soon as I here from you! Bye for now, Annie

Old 10-16-2002, 08:09 PM   #42
    newdawn

newdawn HB User
    Unhappy

I have never been on that medication Pyridium....
    I have been on macrobid, cipro, and sulfur and the macrobid isn't doing the job they told me my urine culture was normal I so if it is.... why am I still sick??? I am so tired of having these cronic infections they really are getting old my mom used to have a lot of them she drank a lot of pepsi.. I am so tired of it I just want something to make them go away..
    good luck to you all,Renee'

Old 10-24-2002, 06:23 AM   #43
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Annie, you poor thing, as if you didn't feel bad enough, now you get sick, and have to go to work!!!!!

Sometimes when life throws us sh## you just need to pitch it in the garden, and see what happens. lol

I'm glad to hear you at least found out what the problem is, even though you have a dilima that's for sure.

Lately I've been busy clean out cupboards, closets, and redoing things in the house, we had a large surprise engagement party for our son last weekend. 72 people!! It was really fun. Boy, him and his bride to be were very surprised. And I don't sew all that much, curtains and patching is about all I do. I did make new curtains in the laundry room. I redid that room, it was such a catch all, now it looks pretty nice and I know where everything is!!!

Hope your scan turns out ok. Only four more days to go for that. If I had a majic wand, you'd be at the top of my list. You've been sick long enough already!!!!! Dang Doctor you had, sew him up too tight and see how he likes it. Jerk. I think I'm more ticked off than you sound. But you need to keep on keeping on, and anger isn't going to help any. Hope you find some relief soon.

Well I better get cracking on my work for the day, last night I taped off the bathroom wood work, this morning I spackled, and now I'm ready to paint in there, it hasn't been done since we moved in, and it needs it. I'm going with light green and purple in there. My next major project will be painting my bedroom and finishing off the living room walls, still want to tackle the junk in the attic too. Boy will that be a big load for good will when I get to that!!!!

Take care of yourself, don't overdo, it's hard I know, it seems like when I'm sick is when I get antsy, which is the worst time to be doing alot. Hopefully your news will be better soon. Diana

Old 10-25-2002, 09:22 PM   #44
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hey, annie, I wrote to you yesterday and I don't see my post yet, do you?
    Diana

Old 10-26-2002, 07:27 AM   #45
    annie13

annie13 HB User
    Hello Diana,
    Today is the first time I had gotten on the net since last week. Not feeling very well. It is hard for me to sit at the computer anymore. I am so tired lately. Monday I do go for my bone scan. But Tues. I also go for a blood test called Indium. It is where they take your blood and separate the WBC and 24 hours later they inject it back into you to find out where any infection is in you entire body. These past 2 weeks my health is detererating. I have fevers of 99.5 to 102.
    It peaks and falls. If I lay down, then the fevers go away. If I get up and take a shower and get ready for the day, it rises. Any time I am active, my fever rises. That is why we are doing this Indium test. I am in pain all the time. My new family dr. is brilliant. He is the one who stayed up all night and researched this test for me. He called that night to tell me of this test. He is great. He is a very concerned dr. and very aggressive in my health care. God bless him!! He wrote a note to the urologist to tell him that he would like all of us to work together in getting me better. That time is of the essance. He would like his opinion on my health, and would like him to share my records with him. That was over 20 days ago. We have heard nothing. I will never go back to him for NOTHING.
    There is obvioulsy (sp) some reason I am having these fevers. Infection of course. By why, and where has the infection spread. We think this sling. I have always thought that. I have just found someone who belives in me. Look it up on the net about this Indium test. They speak of sepsis. Pretty scary!! I am off work again for the next 4 wks. I went back on short term disibility. I will try my best to keep in touch. I will definatly write you on Wed. or Thur. to let you know what we found, if I am not back in the hospital. I will think of you and do not think I still do not have my spunk and good humor.LOL. I just do not feel very well.
    Looks like you have been busy!! I hate so much to paint!! If it is a small piece of furniture, then ok.LOL. Sounds like you had a wonderful anniversary party. Congratulations! I have been with my fiancee for about 7 years. My mom keeps here eye on a dress each year just in case that day comes. LOL. We both have been divorced. No hurry. I think in about 2 years we will tie the not. Outch! Well my neck is hurting me. I will get back to you. If you write this weekend I will try to write you back on Sun. eve. Your friend, Annie Duh, I just re-read your post. I am sorry, congratulations to your son and his fiancee. What a goof I am!!

[This message has been edited by annie13 (edited 10-26-2002).]

Closed Thread