It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board

• Bladder Cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2006, 02:10 AM   #1
    malibu82
    Veteran
    (female)

malibu82 HB User
    Bladder Cancer

Hi I just wanted to talk to someone who is going through the same thing.

My day had a large tumour removed from his bladder a few weeks ago. (CT scans, kidney x-rays etc have all been clear).

He had to go in for the results of his pathology today and the surgeon told him that because of his enlarged prostate (a condition my dad has knowingly had for years) they were unable to remove the whole tumour as it is too close to his prostrate. He will have to go in for the same operation in 6 weeks time and they will shave more from the tumour, and then after that we're not sure but the surgeon said this may be an ongoing thing.

He also mentioned radiation, chemo and possible removal of the bladder in the future, but I'm not sure if or when.

You see, my dad is very old school and doesn't ask any questions which is very infuriating for the whole family.

Has anyone been in this situation or could even presume an outcome?

I just feel very helpless just now and have about a million questions that I wish I could ask his surgeon.

Thanks x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Re: Bladder Cancer

Do you know if the tumor has invaded the bladder wall? If so, radical cystectomy is probably his best option, and he'll probably need the prostate removed as well.

My suggestion would be to search the web for bladder cancer info at such sites as M.D. Anderson, Mayo Clinic, Sloane-Kettering, etc. Bladder Cancer Web Cafe is also a place to get info re bladder cancer.

A lot will depend on the stage and grade of his tumor. And, is it Transitional Cell Carcinoma (TCC) or some other type of bladder cancer? TCC is the most common, but it's possible to get squamous cell and small cell cancer in the bladder, although both of those are pretty rare in this country.

Ruth

Old 04-10-2006, 02:01 AM   #3
    malibu82
    Veteran
    (female)

malibu82 HB User

Hi Ruth, thanks for replying.

I got more information from my Mum about my Dad. She said that in 6 weeks time they are going to try and remove the rest of the tumour and also part of his prostate. They are not sure if it has invaded the bladder wall. (I don't know why they don't know that at this point.)

After the operation they may give him some radiation and chemotherapy.

If all goes well they said they may not have to see him for another year (don't know why this would be the case either) but depending how it goes they may have to consider at some point removing the bladder.

I don't know the type or stage of tumour, as I said my Dad asked practically no questions, but I understand that you can't really help me much unless you know this information.

Thanks for replying anyway. x

Old 04-10-2006, 06:10 AM   #4
    roxyfoxy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I've read that bladder removal is no longer necessary. With a combination of surgery (to remove the tumor), radiation, and chemotherapy the survival rate is nearly the same as removing the bladder. My father is going through all of this, his case is a bit different, however. He waited too long to see a doctor. His cancer has spread to the liver, 6th rib, and spine. They have done the surgery, radiation is almost over, then they will do chemo. I've been researching alot, and I think that's the most important thing to do for the family. We have to be informed about what is going on and what the new courses of treatment are. The cancer patients have enough on their mind, the last thing they think of is research, well, in my dad's case. Getting a second opinion is vital before any treatment. In my father's case, we didn't get a second opinion because the surgery for the tumor was necessary. He was bleeding quite a bit, with his blood count at a 6, surgery was unavoidable.

I, myself, couldn't imagine going through the bladder removal even if it could save my life. Its not like removing a kidney, you can function with one. Bladder removal calls for a bag attached to the patient for life, although they now create a bladder from the patients bowels occasionally. While dealing with my father's cancer, putting myself in his situation is the best way to recommend courses of treatment. I wouldn't want to be more uncomfortable than what I already would be. If the bladder can be replaced with portions of the bowels, then I would have the surgery, but having a bag for life wouldn't be an option for me.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #5
    malibu82
    Veteran
    (female)

malibu82 HB User

Hopefully it won't come to the point where my dad will need to have his full bladder removed.

I don't really think he would have much of a choice if it came to that though, I mean whats the alternative?

Maybe you couldn't live your life without a bladder, but personally, if it came to the worst, I would rather have my dad alive with me, than not get his bladder removed.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #6
    roxyfoxy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Well that's another thing to remember. Its your father going through this, not you. I'm not your enemy, I'm in the same situation. I am going home to care for my father during his chemo treatment. We all want to push him to do everything the doctors say to fight this thing, but if he decides to draw a line somewhere, I wouldn't stop him. It would be hard knowing the consequences, but ultimately its his life. We love our parents very much, and seeing them, or any loved one, go through terrible pain and suffering is very difficult. However, we have to decide what is more important, their comfort or ours?

Old 04-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
    joann57
    (female)

joann57 HB User

i lost my dad 10 days ago from bladder cancer it is so hard i not only lost my dad i lost my best friend.

Closed Thread