It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board

• Passed a stone, residual bladder ache

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
    catsnow
    (female)

catsnow HB User
    Passed a stone, residual bladder ache

Hi there -

as some of you all know my 11 yr old son had a small kidney stone. it took exactly three months to pass - since he'd had surgery last year he did not want to have a cystoscopy etc. his surgeon didn't quite believe him, but now we have empirical evidence of the stone - he peed it out on saturday.

no more kidney pain, no more feeling of a rock in him, etc. BUT his bladder still aches alot esp. when going up and down stairs. (it's been now 48 hours). Is this normal? how long?

many thanks!

catsnow

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
    duzford
    Inactive
    (female)

duzford HB User
    Re: Passed a stone, residual bladder ache

Cat,

He should increase his fluids for a few days. Sometimes when a stone passes, it causes a temporary blockage and there could be (sorry to be graphic) some stale urine still in his bladder - the more liquids he can put in the more he will put out this cleanses his system. This happened to me once but it did correct itself. If it keeps up, get him to the doc to see if the stone has a buddy or to see if any infection appears. There is no fever, is there?

Old 05-21-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
    catsnow
    (female)

catsnow HB User

Thank you Allie and 2plus1. I just hope it's all over. he's thinking maybe he has still part of the stone or another tiny one IN his bladder, I don't know. I know we're on the down grade now though, at least. Anyway, his bladder just aches, and I know it sure has been thru a lot. I still haven't forgiven doctor for not believing it was a stone for so long. Tiny, but there it was.

You guys are so supportive, and have been through so much, I thank you.

cats now

Old 05-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
    catsnow
    (female)

catsnow HB User
    Re: Passed a stone, residual bladder ache - sudden bad ache

first of all thanks you guys just for being here and hope everybody is doing okay -

my son did have another stone or part of same stone (we think the latter) that came out exactly a week to the day later when he was peeing in a movie theater urinal - made such a loud ping he startled a man standing next to him!

Then he was fine - i mean really fine, small residual ache, nothing much the last two days for the first time in months he was going up and down stairs himself, he went to a golf driving range for an hour etc.

Then for no reason it appears this afternoon all of a sudden a SEVERE bladder ache at bottom of bladder near where the second part of the stone was stuck for awhile - he thinks it might be nerves, i was thinking infection - any ideas?

came on just like - wham - no warning. easing off some (its been an hour now) but not a lot.

thanks so much in advance!

Catsnow

Old 05-29-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
    catsnow
    (female)

catsnow HB User

Allie, you are the best - i know you have so much on your own plate thank you for taking the time to answer me...

we were so happy he got all of the stone out (we think anyway) but now...[

>Does he have pain or burning when he urinates? Any fever or chills?

he has a low grade fever that started about an hour ago. I just gave him some macrodantin that he'd had to prevent uti. It's so wierd to me that he passed it saturday and now it's tuesday and this is happening - i will look up renal colic.

We didn't have stone analyzed - didn't catch either first or second much larger piece. he says he doesn't think there is another piece and it doesn't feel the same at all - feels he says like someone punched him in the bladder.

I guess we'll be going to see our overpriced "i cant believe it's a kidney stone" doctor again - he now believes that it was a kidney stone but if he says NOW to me again "could he be stressed out" doctor WILL feel like he got punched in the bladder, LOL.

THANK YOU Allie.

genie
    catsnow

Old 05-29-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
    catsnow
    (female)

catsnow HB User

Hi Allie -

>I can't believe how much they charge either..

i have a new philosophy (have ever since my son's reconstructive surgery last aug/september) if it is cheaper than a doctor's visit/ct scan/surgery, I will not feel bad about spending it (assuming I have it to spend). this has led to a much more relaxed POV when it comes to my daughter's computer breaking, the dryer croaking, and car repairs.

>I hope your son feels better soon...he may very well have an infection with a low grade fever that's what it sounds like..

thank you so much! that's what it seems like too although I don't know why the bladder pain came on so suddenly or so severe which scares me. if it doesn't respond to the macrodantin by tomorrow I will have to go see doctor.

>In the event he has anymore stones try to get them so they can tell what kind he is making...the most common are calcium oxalate..

he peed in a strainer for months. then right at the end i kept making him pee in empty water bottles like howard hughes (!) when we were out somewhere but of course - the first part of the stone passed when he didn't have one and the second part, even tho he had the bottle in his hand, some guy was in the toilet stall so he went in a urinal and didn't want to look like a freak, sigh.

>Does he drink a lot of soda..coke, root beer, pepsi?
    Eat chocolate??

no. i am convinced that it had something to do with the narrowed ureter and repeated utis which was surgically corrected - either the condition initially caused them to form and only fall down later or the surgery itself maybe. the stones were tiny - first part he said double the size of a grain of coarse pepper, second he said was double that size. both were light brown which means nothing, i suppose.

>The other thing is limiting his sodium too much sodium adds to this...

he hardly eats any salty stuff, but before the surgery i always had a hard time getting him to drink water. now its four bottles a day plus green tea plus lemonade.

>they use to say avoid calcium and that's what I did now I have oseopenia early form of osteoporisis...Thanks doctors...my old ones told me to avoid calcium..I swear they got their license from a cracker jack box...

I think they do, I honestly do.

You are an angel, Allie. I hope you are doing okay. sending you the best and will def. keep you all posted

genie
    catsnow

Closed Thread