It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board

• Update re: looking for information on bladder cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-28-2007, 11:16 PM   #16
    mwwjgc
    Inactive
    (female)

mwwjgc HB User
    Re: looking for information on bladder cancer

Hi All, I'm looking for some answers, hope someone can help me here. My husband had bladder cancer two and half years ago, he had a reconstructed neobladder, he's been doing fine, three months ago he had a CTscan the resultscame back. "There is a small, less than 1cm, adenopathy along the right iliac chain". I'm getting the run around with the doctors, just wait and see, after some persistence the doctors said to have another scan in four months time, which is at the end of Sep. I want some honest answers, I'm not afraid of the truth, I don't want to waist time waiting, when I can move on,weather it be good or bad. Don't worry about telling me the truth I like straight shooters.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #17
    keyzersoce
    (male)

keyzersoce HB User

Hi. Just checking back in after a long absence. Glad to see so many people are doing well.

MWWJGC: I've had three bladder tumors removed, bcg treatments and a cysto every three months for the past few years. I'm not a doctor, just a very annoying patient and have discovered the following.

During an examination, your doctor may "knead" the body. He is looking for swollen lymph glands, which are referred to as: adenopathy. One of the areas he feels is the lower abdomen, right above the hip; this is the iliac channel.

Adenopathy can be caused by many things and doctors use a process called "differential diagnosis" to try to narrow down the underlying reason. This just means they try to eliminate each possible cause till they find the one responsible. I'm just assuming that if the enlargement is so small it only shows up on a CT scan, the doctors are not yet that concerned. Also remember, studies have shown different radiologists will give different findings looking at the same scan; I was given three different opinions on the same CT scan.

However, I believe our goal as patients and loved ones is to not let doctors get away with just "blowing us off" but keep questioning them in ways that force them out of their established, preconceived mindset. If you're not happy with the answers so far, request an office meeting with the doctor and ask such questions as: What do you suspect? What's the worst it could be? etc.

FWIW, I believe you're doing the right thing in seeking answers. But then again, I'm the annoying patient. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:18 AM   #18
    tmg
    (female)

tmg HB User

mwwjgc,

I think the not knowing and the waiting is so hard. My dad was lucky he was able to have his cancer removed and then Chemo inserted into his bladder. His wasn't into the muscle so he didn't need any other surgery. I agree with Keyzersoce I think it may have been too small to tell exactly what it was. Hopefully you will get some answers with this CT scan. You might want to write your questions down to take to the Dr. Sometimes you get so focused on what they are telling you that you forget about some of the other question you wanted to ask. Good luck and i hope you get a good report let us know how it turns out.
    tina

Old 09-06-2007, 06:22 AM   #19
    tmg
    (female)

tmg HB User

Baylee,

How was your visit with your sister? How did she look? Is she keeping her check up appointments or did you have to get onto her about that?

Hope you had a good time visiting her and had a good break from all the everyday crazziness of life.

tina

Old 09-08-2007, 02:34 PM   #20
    mwwjgc
    Inactive
    (female)

mwwjgc HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by keyzersoce View Post
    Hi. Just checking back in after a long absence. Glad to see so many people are doing well.

MWWJGC: I've had three bladder tumors removed, bcg treatments and a cysto every three months for the past few years. I'm not a doctor, just a very annoying patient and have discovered the following.

During an examination, your doctor may "knead" the body. He is looking for swollen lymph glands, which are referred to as: adenopathy. One of the areas he feels is the lower abdomen, right above the hip; this is the iliac channel.

Adenopathy can be caused by many things and doctors use a process called "differential diagnosis" to try to narrow down the underlying reason. This just means they try to eliminate each possible cause till they find the one responsible. I'm just assuming that if the enlargement is so small it only shows up on a CT scan, the doctors are not yet that concerned. Also remember, studies have shown different radiologists will give different findings looking at the same scan; I was given three different opinions on the same CT scan.

However, I believe our goal as patients and loved ones is to not let doctors get away with just "blowing us off" but keep questioning them in ways that force them out of their established, preconceived mindset. If you're not happy with the answers so far, request an office meeting with the doctor and ask such questions as: What do you suspect? What's the worst it could be? etc.

FWIW, I believe you're doing the right thing in seeking answers. But then again, I'm the annoying patient. Good luck!
    Thank's for your input, it's comforting to speak to people who are in the same boat. 15 day's to go for the CT scan, 16for the report, let you know the results. Mary

Old 09-08-2007, 02:36 PM   #21
    mwwjgc
    Inactive
    (female)

mwwjgc HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmg;3194***
    mwwjgc,

I think the not knowing and the waiting is so hard. My dad was lucky he was able to have his cancer removed and then Chemo inserted into his bladder. His wasn't into the muscle so he didn't need any other surgery. I agree with Keyzersoce I think it may have been too small to tell exactly what it was. Hopefully you will get some answers with this CT scan. You might want to write your questions down to take to the Dr. Sometimes you get so focused on what they are telling you that you forget about some of the other question you wanted to ask. Good luck and i hope you get a good report let us know how it turns out.
    tina
    Thank you for answering Tina, you've been helpful. Mary

Old 09-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #22
    mwwjgc
    Inactive
    (female)

mwwjgc HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwwjgc View Post
    Hi All, I'm looking for some answers, hope someone can help me here. My husband had bladder cancer two and half years ago, he had a reconstructed neobladder, he's been doing fine, three months ago he had a CTscan the resultscame back. "There is a small, less than 1cm, adenopathy along the right iliac chain". I'm getting the run around with the doctors, just wait and see, after some persistence the doctors said to have another scan in four months time, which is at the end of Sep. I want some honest answers, I'm not afraid of the truth, I don't want to waist time waiting, when I can move on,weather it be good or bad. Don't worry about telling me the truth I like straight shooters.
    Hi all, We have just received my husband's CT scan report & it's not good. His node is now 14mm in size, it's not looking good, considering the high grade cancer he had. We now go on Tuesday next to see his urologist for a biopsy & maybe a Pet scan? It's a bit hard as it's his 60th birthday in November & our 40th wedding anniversary in December. Well a least we know what road were on now. Thank's to all. Mary

Old 10-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #23
    Baylee Bianca
    (female)

Baylee Bianca HB User

Hi Tina & All,

Hope all is well your way. My trip to Vegas was wonderful and my sister looked great. Not sure when her next check up is as her doctor is only wanting to see her once a year for a check up Seem's to long to me but, she is set on keeping him as her doctor.

Will be looking for updates and as always keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Baylee

Old 12-01-2007, 06:38 PM   #24
    tmg
    (female)

tmg HB User

Hi Bayley and all,

I wanted to give you an update on my dad. He has a scope every 6 months to make sure everything is still ok. Last Wednesday they found a tumor he had surgery on Thursday and it went well. The tumor was small he will now be checked in 3 months. It was going to be three years in Febuary since his last bladder cancer.

Mwwjgc, How is your husband doing?

Old 12-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #25
    Lorabelle
    (female)

Lorabelle HB User

Hi Guys!

As per usual I've fallen off the face of Earth once again! My dad is doing well. He never did the biopsy of his prostate. After he got back from Florida, his PSA test had gone down, so the doctor let him slip by without having the test. I think it was September when he had his bladder checked again and everything looked good. I would imagine the doctor would like to do another BCG treatment, but my parents haven't told me about it.

Tina,

Sorry to hear that your dad had a recurrence. I'm glad to see that they caught it early. I'm worried that my dad will have a recurrence, that would freak all of us out so much. I think since it's been three years for him that we've all put the whole thing behind us now.

Baylee,

I'm glad to hear that your sister is doing well and that is so awesome about the horse. What's his or her name?

Have a good Christmas everyone!

Lori

Old 01-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #26
    tmg
    (female)

tmg HB User

Hi, Everyone,

Lori it is good to hear from you. I am so happy about your Dads PSA coming down and that he seems to be doing well. That is great News. I know we were all worried about his prostate. My dad is doing well he is planning on retirement in March around his 64th birthday. He works in a Factory and it is just getting too hard on his body to do such physical labor.

Baylee, hope all is well with your sister. I figure no news is good news. Waiting for an update from you.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and that the New Year is a healthy happy one.
    tina

Old 03-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #27
    Baylee Bianca
    (female)

Baylee Bianca HB User

Sorry I have not posted in awhile. We moved to the country and I have been so busy getting settled in.

Things with my sister are going good. She to is in the middle of a move and she is feeling great.

Tina & Lori and all, Will be checking in more frequently and looking for updates. Hope all is going well your way. I think of you both often and pray all is good.

Hug's, Baylee

Closed Thread