It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bone Message Board

• Bone Cancer TREMINAL Any Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2004, 01:04 AM   #1
    mesueminna

mesueminna HB User
    Bone Cancer TREMINAL Any Help

four years ago my FIL was DX with prostste cancer. They insister his was the best way to do it. But with in a year it has spread to his bones.
    He was fighting it and taking each and every treatment they could think of.
    But as of this year they have been told it was terminal. Sinced January when he stil could walk, Within a week he was in a walker then in a few day he was in an wheel chair. Now he is in bed full time and they had to put a catheritor in . They just brought him in a hospital bed.
    I guess other then suppot. And I need to know if there is expermental treatment or it is just took late> Be Bulnt that is what we need at this point.
    Melinda
    One son deceased now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2004, 11:07 PM   #2
    suzey

suzey HB User
    Re: Bone Cancer TREMINAL Any Help

Melinda,
    We are going through a lot with my mom right now too. She was first diagnosed with a tumor on the lumbar spine, as well as widespread metastasis. She did go through the radiation for the tumor, but through many tests, it seems they cannot locate a primary cancer. We have watched her go down hill so much, and so fast, we are at the point of not knowing what to do either. From an oncology point of view, it seems they are focusing more on comfort/supportive care. It's a sad situation, and we all feel so helpless, as I am sure you do. I have no exact input on anything as far as hope,help,guidance, any of that. We seemed to have reached point of not knowing what to do anymore.
    Susan

Old 04-16-2004, 11:44 PM   #3
    mesueminna

mesueminna HB User

Thank You so much for your responce. I so know what you mean about being lost. My FIL's started as prostate cancer. Personally I think his doctors did not treat him aggressivly enough. He was told about it in June of 2000 and in July my MIL was told she had breast cancer. They treated her right away. A biopsey followed by a lumpectomy and then radiation. But my FIL was treated with hormone thearpy only. For over a year that is all they gave him. They kept saying they thought they could control it that way. In spite of his tumor markers going up each month. Then he had pain in a hip and they did a scan. So then they did localised radiation. Then his back was hurting, then it was his elbow his shoulder and knee and hip and spine and now they are doing his tailbone. He has bony tumors all over his head now. At this point he still has not had surgery for prostate or the bone thing. As clear as it was to me (had some medical training so I knew what I was looking at) it was not to his family or him and his doctors never said a word to him. Then last year he woke up one day and was seeing double and all sorts of things. Still all they did was treat what showed when it showed. But they came up here Christmas this past year. He looked so so bad and I knew right then it was terminal. My husbands family has this thing. As long as they dont say the word metastasis it wont happen. But I also know that the family is so close and if they were not going to ask then I needed to find out a way. We are Navy and live 3000 miles away. And my husband will be leaving soon for 6 months. So I started looking into a humaniterian transfer so he can be there. But in order to get it I had to have a letter from his doctors saying what his prognosis was. That was in January and it was the first time they found the courage to ask about it. But then she told them that yes he was terminal. But they could keep treating the spots that do show up. So that is what they are doing and keeping him comfortable. He has a surgically implanted morphine pump and then he takes pain pills when it is hurting so bad and the morphine has not helped it. Right now he is pretty much in hospiceat the house. Has a body lift to get him off the sheets to change them. He has a nurse that comes in 3 times a week to help bath him and check up and stuff. And they just got a van with a wheelchair lift so she can get him in and out for treatments. He hurts, he is swollen, his skin is like tissue paper. Sometimes I think if he was not all togethr there or in a coma it would be better. Or if it was a car wreck and it was something fdast. It is just hard to see him suffer day after day. But he knows everything going on and reacts to it. He talks and sometimes crack jokes. He is a wonderfal man I am I going to really miss him. My husband and I started dating when we were 17 and got married at 19. Andd we are now 36 years old.So I have known him being in my life for more the half of it. So he is a father to me. I just wanted to know if this is really the end or if there was hope.
    I am really sorry about your mom. Please feel free to contact me if you need to talk.
    Melinda
    One son deceased now.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:45 AM   #4
    mesueminna

mesueminna HB User

Thank you for the information. We are all game for alternative treatment. But I do not think it will help at this point. He is so sick now it is all he can do to talk on the phone.
    When he first got sick he was doing hormone thearpy. And he started this regiment he researched. So he would drink orange juice, with peeled catus leaf and a dstalk of aleo vera. Sounds a little gross but it really was not bad at all. I always try everything once. I use to eat steamed or fried catus all the time growing up. But I could do without the aloe it is a little bitter.
    Right now he can only eat cereal or drink a ensure. Some days he cant even do that. I think at this time we are just trying to keep him comfortable and not hurting.
    But I am printing this out. Some of the other uses might be able to help us.
    Melinda
    One son deceased now.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:56 AM   #5
    timsworld73
    Veteran

timsworld73 HB User

If I may ask a question from you. In the earlier stages when his tumor markers were going up and not down, did they try him on different kind of treatment. Was it his choice to do the therapy he did? My mother has liver adenocarcinoma and her tumor marker started at 6,000 and is now hovering at around 2,000 and we are happy about that, but if our oncologist said in the beginning that if her tumor marker did not start declining or started rising they would try different treatment options. Did they change his course of therapy as his tumor markers kept rising? My mother is now complaining of pain in her hip, but she has osteopnia already and fell out of bed about three weeks ago. It did not start hurting her until about 2 weeks ago. So now she is scaredit is in the bone. We were told that her declining tumor marker tells us that the chemo is doing its job and the last CT showed reduction in the tumor, but that if the treatment was working the chances of it metatasing(sp) was almost zero. That is what we were told. Was his tumor marker ever do down at all?

Old 04-28-2004, 06:38 PM   #6
    mesueminna

mesueminna HB User

I know at one point he had a tumor marker done. That is when they started him on the hormone thearpy. His doctor did not recheck it until 6 months later. It was up or no change I cant remember which. But I know he told him that it was still not to the point of needing chemo or radiation. So he wanted to continue the hormone and the herbal treatments hed was doing. We rely on the doctors because they are the ones who went to medical school. So they deal with this each day. Plus I did research but everything I was seeing said that hormone thearpy on prostate cancer was standard thearpy. It never said at what point you need to be more agressive. So until he started having pain in his hip they did nothing. Personally with what we know now I think they should do tumor markers either once a month or at the least every other month. And if there is no change then they need to change their approch to treatment. It is something that did not have to happen.
    you should probably ask them to do a xray on your mom. If they want a bone scan. It is painless. If they do a bone marrow sample it hurts like heck for areally longtime. I know that by first hand knowledge. They did two on me both from different sides. They use the hip. It hurt for so long. It was a good 6 months before I could sit without having to get my butt in just the right spot for it to not hurt. And I still have times I can tell where it was done. So if she can avoid that it is better.
    Hope things turn out okay for her. She is in my prayers.
    Melinda
    One son deceased now.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:51 AM   #7
    louann

louann HB User

My sister is also terminal with bone cancer that has spread from cancer of the urethra. She is 51 years old. We have tried Wheat grass with no success. If there are any treatments that have worked I would love to try anything at this point.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:31 AM   #8
    mesueminna

mesueminna HB User

Louann I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I have two sisters myself and they are so dear to me. I know it may sound selfish but I hope I die before them and my mom and husband. I do not think I would be able to handle the loss. I have been a part of my father in laws life since I was 17 (I am 36 now). He is a major father figure in my life but no matter how much I love him, his loss still is not going to be as bad on me as it is my husband. I have looked for every possible alternitive treatment for him. I have not found anything. He use to drink a cocktail of Cactus leaf and Orange Juice with Aloe Vera. It helped keep his energy up but did nothing for his cancer. And now he is so weak he does not do that anymore. In fact he is now completely bedridden. He is doing hospis care at home. He has started to lose his memory. He knows who people are but he cant remember things he use to do with my MIL and his sons. Him and my MIL are going to celebrate there 40th wedding anniversary in September. We are not sure anymore he will make it until then. He is a wonderful man. He grew up in Yucatan. His mom died while giving birth to his sister when he was little. He quite school to work in the feilds to help the family out. Then he joined the Mexican army and transfered to the US Army. Taught himself English was transfered to Germany and taught himself German. He saved every penny he could and made a wonderful life for his family. Men like that are hard to come by in this world. I cant imagin him being gone. I have always been close to my in laws. If someone told me my sister or mother was dieing I dont know how I would handle that.
    Your family is in my prayers
    One son deceased now.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:35 PM   #9
    mesueminna

mesueminna HB User

I am sorry to report that my father in law died on May 26th after a long battle. For those of you who have read my post will know that my husband and I live in Washington state and he is active duty military.
    My mother in law had called us on the 25th and told us to come as fast as we can, it did not look good and had been ahardd past few days. So my husband asked for leave and was having to go in the next morning for the signatures he need for its apporval as I booked flights for us. While at work his mom called to tell us that his dad passed that night. She had been sitting up wioth him and telling him to hold out just a little longer so we could say goodbye. But she dozed off for about 30 minutes and when she woke he had stopped breathing and had no heartbeat. So we did not make it home to say goodbye but we know he knew our feelings. It was a beautiful service because he was Army it was a military service. My husband was able dress in his full dress uniform and medals. His father would have loved that. I broke down when I saw him salute his dad.
    All of your comforting words and advice was much more help that I had expected it would be. So thank you all very much.
    Melinda Pacho
    In honor of Julio G Pacho Sr.
    One son deceased now.

Old 06-22-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
    RobbinsEgg
    Inactive

RobbinsEgg HB User

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited by RobbinsEgg; 06-22-2004 at 07:21 PM. Reason: I missed the last message

Old 06-28-2004, 09:56 PM   #11
    xomrogue

xomrogue HB User

Hello,

I am sorry for what is hapenning to your mother and your family. My dad has been diagnosed with non small cell carcinoma and bone cancer. I have been trying to get him to use alternative methods such as juicing, detoxing his body, and B17 vitamin. I only started the B17 this past week. But I hear it can do wonders. Don't give up hope. I will be praying for you and family through this.

Closed Thread