It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bone Message Board

• My mom has all the s/s of Multiple Myeloma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
    missheavyweight
    (female)

missheavyweight HB User
    My mom has all the s/s of Multiple Myeloma

Hello, my name is Ashley. I am relatively new to this board but have had a lot on my mind lately and I really feel as though I need to sort it out somehow.

I am currently studying Nursing and am in my 2nd year. I love it! I love learning about the human body and I love helping others. However, d/t my mom being pretty much on her death bed and my ulcerative colitis flaring up d/t the stress of my moms "undiagnosed" condition, I have decided to take one semester off because I am afraid that she wont be here much longer. I ended up missing out on 2 final exams because she has been in and out of the hospital (she discharges herself) and I cannot go to school (2 hrs away) when I know that my mom could be dying. So this semester was not good and will be returning in the fall so now I can dedicate some time to my moms health issues.

Since early March my mom has pretty much gone from being relatively healthy to bedridden. A few years back my mom was diagnosed with Emphysema(she is a chronic smoker), Hypertension, Hypercalcemia and Acute renal failure. They never really determined the cause of any of these but I think that the hypercalcemia has something to do with her decline in renal function.

Just recently she was admitted (before she discharged herself 5 days later) and her platelets were severely low. So she had to have them transfused. They did all kinds of tests on her .... found a lot of stuff too but she doesn't always listen and it's like sometimes, she just doesn't care at all. I had a chance to speak wit her primary physician and I was told that they found thickening of the bowel, dilated bile ducts and lytic lesions. My entire family thought the lesions were d/t stroke but I don't agree. I know that lytic lesions are a symptom of multiple myeloma. She has severe weightloss, hes very frail, incontinent, fractures easy, bleeds easy, bone pain, sleeps all day and is hard to wake up, dysphagia(cant swallow without puking), delirium, dehydration, pitting edema, etc.

The symptoms that I find worrysome are hypercalcemia (that will not go away), severe bone pain, excesive bleeding(low platelets), lytic lesions!! And acute renal failure. I feel like she really needs a bone biopsy or something because she is getting progresively worse. I feel like I am watching her die right before my eyes. If anyone has any insight PLEASE help me out

Ashley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
    Seraph
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
    Re: My mom has all the s/s of Multiple Myeloma

Are you in contact with her doctors? Will they advise you on her behalf? You may have to be a bit persistent to get the answers from them. It is hard to watch a loved one get sicker and sicker and I hope you get the answers you need. Sera

Old 05-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
    missheavyweight
    (female)

missheavyweight HB User
    Re: My mom has all the s/s of Multiple Myeloma

Thank you so much for your response. It's the toughest thing I have had to go through because I really did not see it coming at all. But watching her deteriorate and not even care, it breaks my heart because I know the real mom would want to be healthy and recover but the person she has become just wants to die and thinks we just want to put her away in some nuthouse as she would call it. But we don't want that at all, we want her in the hospital til shes better or homecare would be even better but the bottomline is she needs to recover but can't when she is not telling us everything (she hides a lot and lies a lot) makes it hard to trust what she says a lot of the time.

Closed Thread