It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Cancer: Bone Message Board

Surgery scheduled in two days


Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2014, 04:28 AM   #1
CAS88
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1
CAS88 HB User
Surgery scheduled in two days

There is probably an existing topic/thread but I'm new to this site so please forgive me.



Basically, I've been dealing with osteosarcoma of my right proximal tibia since January 2013 and live in Scotland. Since then, I've had seven operations consisting of bone grafts, cementations, steel plates etc.! None of these have been successful and after speaking with my consultant this morning, he's decided that the only option left is to amputate my lower right leg. On Thursday (5th June) this week.

This came as a bit of a shock to be honest as it was only vaguely mentioned at the start of the year and I've had no input into this decision whatsoever. Is this common practice? I'm still trying to get my head around things but is there any advice you can offer? What is the procedure like? Typically how long were you in hospital for? What challenges did you find particularly hard? Seriously, anything right now would be hugely appreciated!

 
The following user gives a hug of support to CAS88:
solofelix (06-03-2014)
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
ladybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,018
ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Surgery scheduled in two days

I am sorry you are faced with such a difficult decision. Have you seen any specialist who specializes in limb preservation procedures? There are such clinics here in US, but I don't know about Scotland. It has been standard practice in past to amputate when osteosarcoma cannot be controlled. A lot depends on where it is, how large it is, and what has already been tried. It sounds like you need more time to explore this and get yourself prepared. If it were me, I would want to explore limb preservation procedures, and at least get a second or third opinion from bone cancer experts before proceeding with amputation. You might consider postponing surgery for a week or so to give you time to come to grips with it and be sure before you proceed. I think your surgeon would understand and certainly would discuss it with him/her.

 
Old 06-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,511
solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Surgery scheduled in two days

Hi CAS88,

Welcome to HealthBoards,

Sorry to hear you have to face such a decision but I have to agree with ladybud's reply
and agree you need more time to think about this.
However whatever you decide I wish you well and let us know how you get on,
All the best,

Solofelix.

 
Closed Thread




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:43 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2017 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!