It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bowel Message Board

• 32/scared/questions/not diagnosed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
    neochiq
    (female)

neochiq HB User
    32/scared/questions/not diagnosed

I know you all probably hate these 'do you think I have cancer' threads but hopefully one or some of you can provide some insight.

Try to summarize it.

Been feeling off for about a month. Thought I was just constipated from not drinking enough water... So I upped my intake- and I can't remember if it got better or not but I stopped focusing on it. No change in weight at that point. So April 15th we ate at a frozen yogurt place as a treat. We eat a paleo lifestyle so dairy free, grain free, refined sugar free, etc. well little did I know this dairy free sorbet had sorbitol in it and wow... That was a fun evening of gut wrenching cramps and explosive diarrhea! Then I thought back to the recent weeks where I would have random acts of diarrhea... They always seemed to coincide with a little cheat on the diet so I hadn't thought too much about it. So then I got that fullness feeling again a few days later... Where it seemed like I was constipated... And I would have semi normal bowel movements followed by liquid diarrhea. About 2-3 times a day...this lasted oh... 6-7 days? Then I became constipated and didn't poop for one full day then the next day had normal soft stools but they required straining to push out... Hen this morning had a totally normal easy movement and about 45 min later- bam- liquid diarrhea. Then a few hours later....liquid diarrhea.

Nothing in my diet has changed...I've been very careful to avoid things so as not to be able to 'blame' it on food. When I was constipated I upped my water intake a TON but in the last week or so I've noticed some weight loss and it's scaring me very badly. Now...of note... I was steadily losing weight while on this diet and have been plateuaed for a while.... And with upping my water intake a TON maybe this is water weight and I'm worried because of my bowel symptoms? I don't know.

Anyhow, there is no blood that I've seen...in or on... I'm so terrified though...I've seen a bunch of people MY age on forums with colon cancer and I am making myself positively sick with worry. I have an appt with my regular dr on Tuesday but I know she's just going to refer me.

What do you all think? My huge fear and what I feel is playing against me is that I've been on this diet for like 7 months so I feel like where a normal person could say 'oh must be the dairy, or sugar, or whatever' I can't say any of those things because I don't eat them!!!!

Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
    Prairie Fairie
    (female)

Prairie Fairie HB User
    Re: 32/scared/questions/not diagnosed

Is there a particular reason you're on a Paleo diet? I'm not asking out of nosiness, but rather wondering if you had any issues prior to the Paleo diet?

I don't (or hope I don't) have stomach cancer, but it seems like it's one of those cancers that requires 'scopes' to be able to confirm the presence. All I can really say is that if your bowel movements are not normal for you (normal isn't what the media likes to tout), then monitor your food and your bowel movements, whether they float, don't float, shape, or lack of and if the issue doesn't resolve itself in a reasonable time frame, say within a week or so - get it checked out. The body is ever-changing and sometimes what we tolerated quite well, suddenly we don't. There's all kinds of bowel irritations they lump under the umbrella syndromes, but to me that's not really an answer. It's recommended you see a doctor, or if you'd rather try a natural approach first, try changing up your diet for a week to see if that normalizes your bowel function. If not, definitely get checked - but it doesn't sound like you have an obstruction.

Sugar replacements, as you may be well aware, can upset your stomach as well. I tried that Stevia and let's just say: terrible flatulence, with a terrible odor. It made me think I had just found the perfect 'food' for my colon bacteria.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
    neochiq
    (female)

neochiq HB User
    Re: 32/scared/questions/not diagnosed

I will message back with a bit more info tomorrow but in short- yes I tried paleo for health reasons.

My bowels have gotten more normal but I'll write tomorrow. Thanks!

Closed Thread