It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bowel Message Board

• Recent Colonoscopy Results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #1
    Igirl
    (female)

Igirl HB User
    Recent Colonoscopy Results

I had a colonoscopy about 10 days ago. Results: 4-5 smaller polyps removed during the procedure and there are 2 large ones that will require surgery and resection.

Does anyone have any idea whether a required resection for larger polyps indicates likelihood of malignancy? Have appt with surgeon tomorrow and am very nervous. The GI didn't provide much info except as follows:

"The biopsy from your recent procedure showed adenomatous polyp(s). Adenomatous polyps or adenoma are benign (non-cancerous) polyps that may become cancerous over time. Adenomas account for approximately 75% of all colon polyps." I hope those specimens went to the lab but don't know. She had discussed the 2 polyps requiring surgery after the procedure but all she said was they would require resection and gave the name of a surgeon she recommends.
    Thanks to anyone who may have similar experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User
    Re: Recent Colonoscopy Results

There is a correlation between polyp size and likelihood of cancer. Do you know the exact size? The good news though is that fewer than 10% of adenomatous polyps ever become cancerous. You'll definitely want them out though, obviously. You should also talk to your Dr about more frequent colonoscopies as well. I'm on an every 3 year schedule after finding a small benign polyp about 3 years ago (time for another colonoscopy soon... yay!)

Old 01-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
    Igirl
    (female)

Igirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChuckStr View Post
    There is a correlation between polyp size and likelihood of cancer. Do you know the exact size? The good news though is that fewer than 10% of adenomatous polyps ever become cancerous. You'll definitely want them out though, obviously. You should also talk to your Dr about more frequent colonoscopies as well. I'm on an every 3 year schedule after finding a small benign polyp about 3 years ago (time for another colonoscopy soon... yay!)
    Thanks for the response. Not sure how large they are but the photos the GI showed me made them appear to be flat and close together along the bowel wall. What bothers me most is the last colonoscopy I had approx. 18 months ago did not detect these. GI said perhaps they were hidden in the fold of the intestine. Just getting anxious now as the 30th is getting closer. Tomorrow morning have appointment for the pre-op tests.
    I get colonoscopies more often than the average person as I have Crohns and as such, am more prone to polyps. At least the surgeon said there would only be a 10% chance of malignancy.
    Wish me luck and thanks again!

Old 01-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User

You're welcome. Good luck with the surgery and here's hoping for the benign 90%!

Old 01-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
    Igirl
    (female)

Igirl HB User
    Exclamation Re: Recent Colonoscopy Results

:wave
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChuckStr View Post
    You're welcome. Good luck with the surgery and here's hoping for the benign 90%!
    Thanks! Just had the pre-op tests this a.m. Getting a little jittery.

Last edited by Igirl; 01-24-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Closed Thread