It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Brain Message Board

Tyramine-free diet! Any information!?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
emiesk890
(female)

emiesk890 HB User
Question Tyramine-free diet! Any information!?

I am starting a new chemotherapy for a brain tumor called TPCV, which is a cocktail of Thioguanine, Procarbazine, CCNU, and Vincristine. The Procarbazine is a drug that reacts with tyramine so my Doctor is asking me to stay away from foods containing large amounts of tyramine. I am vegetarian, but I mostly eat anything else besides meat. I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with information on a Tyramine-restricted diet!
Thank you!
Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
SamQKitty
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Tyramine-free diet! Any information!?

Tyramine-restricted diets are also advised for people on MAO inhibitors, which I've had some experience with.

The main things you have to avoid are red wines; beer; hard cheeses (cottage cheese, cream cheese, farmer's cheese and American cheese are okay), yeast supplements (yeast in baked goods is okay), many pickled things such as pickled herring, sour cream (yogurt is okay); meats cured with salt and nitrates or nitrites, such as summer sausage, pepperoni, salami; fermented cabbage such as saurkraut and kimchee; soy sauce, shrimp sauce and fish sauce; broad bean pods such as fava beans (string beans, wax beans, etc. are okay.) Also, be careful about eating leftovers...don't eat that ham that's been in the fridge for 4 days already!

Your oncologist should have given you a list of foods to avoid. Depending on who you talk to, some things can be eaten on MAOI's, and some can't. Example..I was never told to avoid soy sauce, and I ate plenty of Chinese food and never had a reaction. Some people say to avoid chocolate, and I didn't have to. But it's also true that, for MAOI's at least, the foods that just contain trace amounts of tyramine are apparently not that much of a problem. However, I don't know how severe the reaction would be with the chemo.

Ruth

Closed Thread

Tags
brain, chemotheraphy, diet and nutrition