It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

Two Positive Mammogram's, Third One Negative, Two positive Ultrasounds

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
bestoldies04
(female)

bestoldies04 HB Userbestoldies04 HB User
Two Positive Mammogram's, Third One Negative, Two positive Ultrasounds

I am very confused. I have had three Mammogram's in the last 8 months. The first one was positive, then had a second one and a Ultrasound both positive. They showed me on the screen what they were seeing you could definitely see something. I went back this week for my third Mammogram and second Ultrasound. The Ultrasound was positive but the Mammogram did not show anything. I am confused how two Mammogram's can show something then all of sudden nothing. But both Ultrasounds were positive. It was uncomfortable having the Ultrasound this week. Has anyone ever had multiple Mammograms and Ultrasounds on the breasts and they are all different?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Two Positive Mammogram's, Third One Negative, Two positive Ultrasounds

If your breasts are cystic, meaning they have cysts in them, cysts can show up on a mamogram as a dark spot- but dissappear on their own. Some cysts are simple cysts, which just dissappear as they are fluid filled...these are non cancerous.
I have had "things" show up on a mamogram which have dissappered two weeks later only to show up on an Ultrasound...Ultrasounds do not hurt- what was uncomfortable about it?

If you really want to know what is going on, consult a breast surgeon who can do a biopsy of the spot to see if anything is there. I had one needle biopsied and ten minutes later in another mamogram it was gone. We assumed she aspirated it and that was that. Once the fluid is taken out (or goes away on its own) nothing is left to be worried about IF it is a cyst.

What is being suggested?

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
sweetpotato13 (01-12-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If it is a cyst, that can make the u/s uncomfortable as cysts do get sore. This is particularly true if you use caffeine. So a couple of cups of coffee b/4 the u/s could be the culprit.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #4
bestoldies04
(female)

Thank you both for replying.

I am confused because a total of three Mammograms showed something. The first one they didn't tell me they wanted to wait and see what the next one would show which was a year later. The next two Mammograms still showed something, also the two diagnostic Ultrasounds. They pointed out the areas of concern. You could see something without them showing me. They said it was puzzling because it is no longer on the Mammogram but they can still see it on the Ultrasound very clearly. I will remember that next time I have the Ultrasound not to have caffeine. I did have one and a half cups of coffee that day. Thanks again.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #5
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If it's a cyst,you need to get off caffeine altogether. I had to. It just hurts too much....

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
bestoldies04 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #6
Namaste902
(female)

Namaste902 HB User

I had both done due to a lump in my left breast and the mamogram NEVER picked up the cyst. I remember the radiologist even wanting extra pictures even though she was done just to make sure and in the additional pictures it still never picked up the cyst. I guess that is my Gyne, when she order the test it was a stat ultrasound and they only did the mammogram because they did not have one as a base line for me since I was 41 at the time. Well, radiologist came in and talked to me and told he was unable to see anything in my left breast but that the one thing that would for sure pick up what is in that breast would be the ultrasound. Sure enough there it was. I seriously had the best radiologist. Even after the ultrasound tech did my exam and took the pictures, he came in and also did my ultrasound to confirm it to me that it was just a fluid filled cyst. He literally took the time and sat there and should on the screen showing me the cyst and he was able to see it was water filled because it was literally jet black. It is now gone and actually went away the following month. I prayed everyday that it was nothing.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-05-2017 at 08:14 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Namaste902:
bestoldies04 (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
bestoldies04
(female)

I can understand your frustration. I have several cysts in both kidneys, and several nodules in my lungs. (no I never smoked) The radiologist has not told me what have is a cyst, she said they don't know at this point. She showed me on the screen what they were seeing. The area was lit up in different directions all most like lightening.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
felinefab
(female)

felinefab HB User

I was diagnosed in one appt. Had the mammogram and it looked suspicious so they did an ultrasound then a doctor came in and did the biopsy right there and only waited about 1/2 hr. to find out I had invasive lobular breast cancer. I had stage 2 going into 3 and it was my own fault as I had missed my mammogram 2 yrs. in a row. Please everyone go for your mammograms…it would have saved me all the hell with chemo and rads.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:51 AM   #9
bestoldies04
(female)

I am so sorry to hear this felinfab, not a diagnosis either of us wants to get. I will pray for you. I had my third Mammogram and Ultrasound, they are still wanting to watch, no biopsy yet. I will have my fourth diagnostic testing in June.

The Following User Says Thank You to bestoldies04 For This Useful Post:
felinefab (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #10
Namaste902
(female)

Namaste902 HB User

I just had my yearly Gyne appt today. I have a mammogram and ultrasound schedule for Monday. She wants to be safe regarding the cyst in my left breast. At the time I had my mammogram, it never picked up the the cyst but the ultrasound did. The radiologist did the ultrasound himself as well and told me I had 4 water filled cyst in my left breast. So, I'm having both done on Monday to make sure it's nothing else because there still there. They are still there and painful somewhat and annoying.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:14 PM   #11
Scruffy60
(female)

Scruffy60 HB User

I had a mammogram and ultrasound done today, the radiologist said he saw something on the mammogram that has been there for the last several years but it just jumped out at him today and he said he's overly cautious that's why the ultrasound, then he said I'm probably just chasing a shadow , but I would feel better if you would have a MRI done, or come back in 6 months for another ultrasound. I have very dense breast, so who knows, I think each radiologist just interprets differently

Old 03-22-2017, 05:32 AM   #12
bestoldies04
(female)

Thank you for sharing this information, I feel much better knowing some of you have been going through the same thing. When I go for my next diagnostic Mammogram I am going to push for further testing since my breasts are very dense. This going every six months is a pain, I either have something or I don't. I am sure most of you feel this way, it's added stress.

Reply Reply