It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

Complex Cystic Mass & Breast Biopsy

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
Bengal2
(female)

Bengal2 HB User
Complex Cystic Mass & Breast Biopsy

Hi all,

About 2 1/2 months ago I found a big lump in my left breast. I made an app, Dr sent me for a Mammogram & Sonogram, & that led me to getting a breast Biopsy after that. My results were benign praise God! They left a marker in there & told me I had to be screened in 6 months for any changes.

My breast biopsy procedure was much easier than I anticipated. The anesthetic shot was easy to take, needle was real thin & I could barely feel it. I felt only pressure & soreness similar to an old bruise being slightly pressed on when the biopsies were taken. Directly after, I experienced no pain, but a throbbing soreness in my entire breast & under my left armpit. Before the procedure, I was told that I would be sore for 3 days max & then would be mostly pain free after that, & could resume normal activities. The procedure was done exactly the way they anticipated & nothing extra was added or changed. After the procedure, I was given a sheet on what I couldn't do for a week & told to go home & take 2 Tylenol extra strength. I did that, but it didn't Touch the pain once the anesthetic wore off. I was in so much pain the first 2 days I stayed in bed crying with ice packs/mostly just cold packs on constantly. Of course they didn't stay cold that long but I changed them every hour as instructed by the Dr. It hurt so bad that I cried off & on & I couldn't sleep due to the pain. The Dr wouldn't prescribe me anything for pain either.

Now it's been almost 2 months since the procedure & my breast & under arm still hurt. It's not painful just feels sore like a pulled muscle does, all the time. I still feel some pain if I lift my child,or carry him for more than a few min, pick up something heavy, try to work out using that arm, reach in the wrong way or too far, etc. Wearing a normal bra hurts, wearing a bikini top hurts after a couple hours. I can't sleep on that side cuz it puts pressure & feels too sore. I asked the Dr last week when I went in for my pap & she told me that all of that was perfectly normal & that I can expect to feel sore for another 2 months!!!! Why didn't they tell me that when I went in?!! Has anyone else experienced this? To be clear, my breast isn't Painful, but constantly sore, & sometimes the soreness throbs or it aches when I do something just the wrong way or in the instances I described above. Has anyone else experienced this too? Why is it taking so long to feel normal?! Will I ever be able to live like I did before without feeling Any soreness - will my left side feel like my right one does when I use it? I feel deceived & lied to.

Now my Dr wants to do a cervical biopsy due to an abnormal pap & says they don't give anything at all for pain during or after the procedure. I don't trust them at all now. They say to expect discomfort like a period. I'm thinking no way is that possible & how long is That going to hurt?! I live in a 3 level townhouse & I'm wondering if going up & down the stairs are going to be a painful experience for months to come!! Please give me any feedback on this as well if any of you can. I'm so upset I can't stop crying. I'm tired of feeling sore in my breast & do not want to feel sore in my cervix too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Complex Cystic Mass & Breast Biopsy

Hi. As far as your breast goes...try to stop thinking about it. Wear sports bras or something with support, even when you sleep and I promise, one day you will wake up and it wont hurt anymore. It just takes time...

As far as the cervical biopsy goes, I have had one before also. THEY HURT! Really bad. But only when they take the sample...afterwards, it feels like cramps for a few days, but it didnt continue to hurt me after 3 days. I hope you have the same experience.

I actually told my doctor that they SHOULD prescribe something prior to the cervical biopsy...she said "if you ever need one again we will give you a xanax or something prior". My suggestion, call your doctor. Ask if there is something you can take to take the edge off prior to the procedure. You'll be glad you did!

Good luck and Im sorry you are going through this...sometimes I wish we could only have procedures done by doctors who have actually gone through them! I just had my Gallbladder out 2 months ago and what they told me to expect was not what happened. I get where you are coming from. Its frustrating!

Old 07-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
Bengal2
(female)

Bengal2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Hi. As far as your breast goes...try to stop thinking about it. Wear sports bras or something with support, even when you sleep and I promise, one day you will wake up and it wont hurt anymore. It just takes time...

As far as the cervical biopsy goes, I have had one before also. THEY HURT! Really bad. But only when they take the sample...afterwards, it feels like cramps for a few days, but it didnt continue to hurt me after 3 days. I hope you have the same experience.

I actually told my doctor that they SHOULD prescribe something prior to the cervical biopsy...she said "if you ever need one again we will give you a xanax or something prior". My suggestion, call your doctor. Ask if there is something you can take to take the edge off prior to the procedure. You'll be glad you did!

Good luck and Im sorry you are going through this...sometimes I wish we could only have procedures done by doctors who have actually gone through them! I just had my Gallbladder out 2 months ago and what they told me to expect was not what happened. I get where you are coming from. Its frustrating!
Thank you so much for your feedback & honesty. My experience so far has lead me to completely distrust anything they say. The breast biopsy - I was told something completely different before it than I was After I got it. So I feel completely blind sided & lied to. I do not believe them for a second that this is only like a period cramp. Bull. I am glad you suggested to take something ahead of time. I have some Tylenol with Codeine for my migraines & I'm considering taking that, but honestly, I'm going to call around & see if I can find someone who will give me a local anesthetic as well. I'd rather endure a little pain from a shot than the intense pain from the biopsy. They said I'd feel just a pinch of a cramp & then it's over... As if then the pain instantly stops..? Ya right. Why do they tell people that?! Seriously, Why are they so misleading instead of being truthful & why are they still being done without anesthetic?! My Dr said she could put a numbing gel on but I know that won't do much at all. I want a regular anesthetic numbing agent used before the procedure. At least that will provide some pain support for a few hours after while it's at it's peak & then I can take my tylenol w codeine meds the first day or two if I need to.

Was it sore to climb stairs or walk or sit afterward? I live in a 3 level townhouse & there's simply no way to avoid the stairs. I also have a very active 4yr old who I have full time care for & have to drive for my job. Will a week off of work be enough? Is it sore at all or completely sore free - feeling totally normal after a few days.... How long does it take to experience No soreness at all in doing all activities including having sex or using a tampon? Thank you SO much for answering!! It really helps me

Old 07-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #4
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I totally understand your mistrust and apprehension. I was lied to about my condition and treatment options as well as risks/benefits and have been suffering the after effects ever since (unnecessary hysterectomy).

Since abnormal pap smears can be caused by things other than abnormal cells, it's oftentimes recommended that the pap be repeated versus doing a biopsy. Of course, your personal history (e.g., prior abnormal paps, prior dysplasia, presence of high risk HPV type) needs to be considered when determining next steps. Also to be considered is that cervical cancer typically takes many years to develop from abnormal cells which is partly why it's so rare.

When I had an abnormal pap many years ago, my gyn merely suggested repeating it in 6 months or so. I've never had another abnormal one.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Forgot to mention - I also had an abnormal mammogram (not long after the unwarranted hysterectomy) that showed some calcification. They had me do another one several months later and it was still there. So I had to do a third one. But this time I asked if I should stop taking my calcium supplement for a period prior to the mammogram. They said "yes". Guess what? The calcification was gone. Here I probably could have been spared all the anxiety from each of those abnormal mammos!

Old 07-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

i've had 2 abnormal paps in my life. Both times they retested after 6months and all was fine. I"d wait if I were you.

Reply Reply