It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

Scared; IBC?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
horizons
(female)

horizons HB User
Scared; IBC?

I am a 31 year old female, no kids, with a family history of traditional breast cancer.

Early last month I noticed a red bump on one of my breasts that I thought was a pimple, but it didn't have a head. After a couple of weeks it hadn't gone away. I started examining it and found it had what looked like an "eye" in the center, going down into the lump. I squeezed it and got a small amount of pus out of the eye. I was relieved to believe it was a pimple, but after another week or so it still hadn't gone away. I squeezed it again and got a small amount of oil. After that it started to seem to be getting better.

The area where the red bump was is now not raised or bump/lump like, but I can still tell where it was as the former area of the bump is now a black/blue and looks like a tiny bruise.

However, when my cycle started this month I noticed redness surrounding the now purple spot. Sometimes it itched, sometimes it didn't. After a couple of days into my period the redness went away. Sometimes throughout the last week the redness would come and go. I wasn't that concerned since it wasn't constant. Now that my cycle has ended the redness is back (and hasn't gone away yet), and I was horrified to find when I took my bra off to shower earlier that the area I've had redness issues with now also has thickened skin. The thickness is only confined to the area that is red, which surrounds the purple dot where the former bump was and is a little larger than a quarter. The purple dot is relatively small, maybe the length of my fingernail. The dot and red area is a few inches above my nipple.

This has all taken place over a period of about a month and a half.

I'm horrified because I can't find anything online with thickened skin on the breast being anything but IBC; I was hoping maybe I had some kind of infection of something (even though with no kids I'm not breastfeeding). I will note that I do have a good bit of loose skin on my breasts due to weight loss, so I'm not sure if this could be a factor of skin issues.

Could anyone give me some peace of mind that maybe this isn't IBC? Can anything else cause localized thickening of the breast skin besides IBC? What do you think this could be? (I don't mind hearing any ideas, even if you do think I'm looking at IBC - I really just want some thoughts of possibilities as to what this may be.) Regardless I'm calling my OB/GYN tomorrow for an appointment.

Last edited by horizons; 03-14-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply