It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Dense Breast

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
    Bernice
    Veteran
    (female)

Bernice HB User
    Dense Breast

On Tuesday, I had my yearly mammogram. My doctor's office called me today and told me that I have really dense breasts and there's one area in my right breast that they can't see clearly and they want me to go back on Monday for another mammogram. I am freaking out. They do not state that there is a mass, tumor or anything else there. They just want to take a better look and make sure it's nothing. What do you think? Has anybody gotten a call that they had to go back for another mammogram and it was nothing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #2
    MEC44
    (female)

MEC44 HB User
    Re: Dense Breast

Hello!
    I was called back for the same reason, I have dense breasts. They had me go back for an ultrasound. I was also so nervous and it ended up being nothing.
    They may just want to be thorough. I have a friend who went all the way to biopsy and it was nothing.
    Itís better to be thorough. Breath and try not to stress too much. I know itís easier said than done but one day at a time

Old 09-08-2018, 06:53 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Some states - Alabama is one- require that they tell you if you have dense breasts. So every year that statement is on my letter. The facility I use has you wait and they will call you in for more testing right then if they see something like this. That way you don't have to go back days later for the ultrasound. Happens to me periodically as I have a fibroid cyst. Not all facilities have 3D mammo units yet but I would check and see if any in your town do and use those in the future.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:05 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I also have dense breasts and it says as much on every mamo report. I have had to go back and get extra films taken, as well as ultrasounds and one year even a MRI- they saw "something" but couldn't figure out what it was. Eventually I had a needle guided biopsy- and my "something" turned out to be nothing more than a fluid filled cyst which was ruptured with the biopsy.

Its the scariest thing in the world hearing this- but most of the time it is just your doctor being extra careful. Try not to worry- go get the test done and remember, you have nothing to worry about until someone tells you that you have something to be concerned with. Right now- its just "making sure" that there is nothing to be concerned about. Try to relax and go through the steps before you make yourself crazy.

Good luck and happy thoughts coming your way.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #5
    Scruffy60
    (female)

Scruffy60 HB User

Iím another one! Dense breast is something a lot of us deal with, same thing for me on several occasions I get the call to come back in for another mamogram, the last time they ordered A ultrasound, the doctor told me he was probably chasing a shadow but wanted to be sure so he told me to either get an MRI or come back in six months for another ultrasound I chose the ultrasound and again in six months it was nothing, so please try not to worry this is so common with women with dense breasts! I hope this helps you because I do know that absolute fear and stress this causes even though I know to expect it. Praying all goes well with you! Please let us know how things turn out

Old 09-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
    Bernice
    Veteran
    (female)

Bernice HB User

Thank you all for your replies. I am still nervous but I won't be completely relieved until the radiologist says it's nothing. I wonder if we who have dense breasts should get mammograms twice a year and maybe even ultrasounds? A few years ago they did see 3 little cysts, I had to go back for an ultrasound and had a mammogram every 3 or 4 months for a year....now the cysts aren't there. My doctor's office did tell me that the radiologist did not see any mass, tumor or anything else like that. They said that my breast tissue is kind of clumped together and they want to take a closer look at it and make sure it's nothing. But I'm still freaking out about it.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:11 AM   #7
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I don't think you need to go to that extreme. Again, the 3D mammo machine gives much more detailed and clearer pictures. If you can find a facility that has one, I'd go there in the future. that's what I do.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:14 AM   #8
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Insurance wont pay for more than one mamogram a year; so if you did want to get checked more often you would have to pay for it...besides this, the radiation from the mamo is not good for you, or your body- you want to keep that to a minimum!

Old 09-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #9
    Bernice
    Veteran
    (female)

Bernice HB User

I went and had my repeat mammogram today. They said it was glandular breast tissue or top of tissue. What a relief. Thank you all for responding and help ease my mind a little.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #10
    Scruffy60
    (female)

Scruffy60 HB User

So happy for this report, I know what a relief it is!!

Reply Reply