It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

Back pain after mastectomy

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2018, 05:13 AM   #1
Lady221
(female)

Lady221 HB UserLady221 HB User
Back pain after mastectomy

I had my mastectomy 2.5 months ago and since then I have had back pain. It seems to go from upper to lower pain at different times. Has anyone had this? It worries me because I keep on thinking it's cancer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
KiliLee
(female)

KiliLee HB User
Re: Back pain after mastectomy

Hi Lady221,

I had pain in my back as well. I had my surgery back in 2005 and occasionally have back pain but it improved after 6 months or so. I suspect yours may improve with time as well.

Pain with breast cancer is is not a typical symptom its actually less common, most times people feel no pain with their cancer (unless it spreads to other areas of the body) which is why with out self exams we might never catch it.

My humble suggestion, ask for some physical therapy, they can help with some safe stretching and exercises that can help improve your back muscles that should also help improve the pain.

I know your gonna say how does stretching and exercising my already sore muscles help with pain, well it actually helps the muscles you have not have to work as hard so in turn they hurt less.

Hope this helps
Kili

Old 10-11-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
Lady221
(female)

Lady221 HB UserLady221 HB User
Re: Back pain after mastectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiliLee View Post
Hi Lady221,

I had pain in my back as well. I had my surgery back in 2005 and occasionally have back pain but it improved after 6 months or so. I suspect yours may improve with time as well.

Pain with breast cancer is is not a typical symptom its actually less common, most times people feel no pain with their cancer (unless it spreads to other areas of the body) which is why with out self exams we might never catch it.

My humble suggestion, ask for some physical therapy, they can help with some safe stretching and exercises that can help improve your back muscles that should also help improve the pain.

I know your gonna say how does stretching and exercising my already sore muscles help with pain, well it actually helps the muscles you have not have to work as hard so in turn they hurt less.

Hope this helps
Kili
Thank you for your response. It has improved already. It took 3 months but I do feel better. I had PT and went for chiropractic adjustments. Also, the fact that I didn't have any breast prosthetics didn't help any. Now that I do my balance is better. Thank you for posting. This really scared me. You know how our minds start to wonder.

Reply Reply

« Letrozole | - »