It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Mammogram results. Please help..

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-08-2021, 03:57 PM   #1
    tiredofissues
    (female)

tiredofissues HB User
    Mammogram results. Please help..

Hi. I just had a 3D mammogram on Friday and I got the results back today. It said I have 2 asymmetrys in the upper outer quadrant of my left breast... middle depth. And they want me to come back for more imaging. What can this mean?. I have an appointment for next week but I'm very nervous. I am 50 years old and this is the first mammogram I've had in nine years.

The following user gives a hug of support to tiredofissues:
    quincy (03-09-2021)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2021, 10:05 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Mammogram results. Please help..

Did you happen to have a covid vaccine before your mammo?

q

Old 03-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi tiredofissues!

You have two areas of breast tissue in your left breast that are different than your right breast. This is quite common. Asymmetries are normal in our bodies. For instance, the left side of our faces is somewhat different (or asymmetric) than the right side. In most cases asymmetries are not cancerous. But, as you know, anything that shows up on a mammogram must be further checked to rule out cancer.

Regards, Bob

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:20 AM   #4
    tiredofissues
    (female)

tiredofissues HB User

No I did not

Last edited by tiredofissues; 03-09-2021 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Wrong

Old 03-09-2021, 08:25 AM   #5
    tiredofissues
    (female)

tiredofissues HB User

That's why I'm so scared because I have to go back and it's not until next week so I'm just going to freak out until then. I thought a 3D mammogram would be more helpful but I guess it wasn't

Last edited by tiredofissues; 03-09-2021 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Wrong

Old 03-09-2021, 03:55 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It was - it picked this up. The regular may not have. And do you know if you have dense breasts? It's been a long time since your last mammo and things can change normally in that length of time. Could be dense breast tissue, small cysts, almost anything. Perfectly normal to be called back in since they don't have one from last year to compare it to. Get them regularly from now on!

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    busygrandma00 (03-11-2021)
    Old 03-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #7
    tiredofissues
    (female)

tiredofissues HB User

Yep. No kidding. The report says I have scattered fibro glandular density.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:12 PM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Probably what's going on. Keep us posted.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:02 AM   #9
    tiredofissues
    (female)

tiredofissues HB User

The letter they sent me said that there were some findings that require additional Imaging but that these findings are mostly benign. You would think that would help to put my mind at ease but it has not. 😕

Old 03-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #10
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

i can understand. But I'm glad they double check things that are probably benign. That should give you some ease in that it's probably nothing. If they didn't double check the benign ones, think of all they could miss of those that didn't seem to be.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:46 AM   #11
    tiredofissues
    (female)

tiredofissues HB User

So I had my repeat mammogram yesterday and they still had some suspicious findings so they did an ultrasound. Actually they ended up doing it twice once the radiologist read the results she wanted to do the ultrasound again. They found two spots. One they are sure is just a lymph node and the other is either a lymph node or a cyst of some sort. They said the chance of it being cancer is less than 2% and I have to go back in 6 months for a repeat mammogram. I hope it all turns out okay.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #12
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Perfect! That's a great report. Just make sure you get your mammos annually after this.

Old 03-19-2021, 04:51 PM   #13
    tiredofissues
    (female)

tiredofissues HB User

I really hope it all is okay. I did the mammogram and then they made me wait for the ultrasound. The technician took a really long time to do the ultrasound and she said the radiologist would read it and let me know. And then the radiologist came in and wanted to do the ultrasound again and it just took a really long time I was concerned. She said she's really confident that it's nothing bad but that she's only human and that's why she wants me to come back just to be sure. But yes after I do the 6-month mammogram , I will make sure to keep up with them yearly after this. This has scared me to death.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:55 AM   #14
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I can imagine. When I went thru it I was about 35 and it was scary but I was glad they were doing all the imaging! I was also advised to get off caffeine as it can impact the cyst. After a couple of years, the cyst was gone. Let us know if the 6 month mammo shows any changes

Reply Reply