It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• lump in left breast

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2003, 09:36 AM   #1
    fairiegoddess

fairiegoddess HB User
    lump in left breast

hello...last night after taking a bath i for some unknown reason checked my breasts and noticed a hard lump in my left breast underneath and to the side of my nipple. it doesnt move but it is real hard and about the size of a dime. i check my breasts every once in awhile so i know my normal lumpiness and this new lump definately is new. i do know that ive had several great*aunts who all had breast cancer...im 27 btw. im wondering if i should be concerned? its not painful and ive not noticed any discharge from that nipple...its just a hard lump. should i go see my doc.?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2003, 04:58 PM   #2
    Weebs37

Weebs37 HB User
    Re: lump in left breast

My first guess would be a clogged duct. Especially since it's the size of a dime so soon.

If you really want to be sure, make an appt. with your doctor. It never hurts. Better to be safe.

When was your last mammogram?

Weebs

Old 11-23-2003, 06:09 PM   #3
    fairiegoddess

fairiegoddess HB User

thanx for ur reply...my mother had said the same thing. i just remember my ducts being clogged after giving birth and it hurt like an s.o.b and this is painless. id say my last mam. was about 5 years ago when i was preggers. i do check myself tho every other month or so since cancer of the breast runs so rampant in my family. i hope it is a clogged duct or something...i will check with my doc; unfortunately imma be worried until then. sigh.....

Old 11-24-2003, 06:26 AM   #4
    liz109

liz109 HB User

Let us know when you get it checked. I have a cyst on my right breast-benign. It's a scary thing to find!!

________
    Stage 1BII cervical cancer
    Diagnosed 11/14/03
    Radical Hysterectom 11/25/03

Old 11-24-2003, 10:02 AM   #5
    Kalie
    (female)

Kalie HB User

Hi there,

Although the lump may be nothing it is extremely important that you go to a Dr. I found a lump in my left breast 2 months after my 25th birthday (last yr). It turned out to be Stage II breast cancer.

I am fine now, but if I listened to everyone who told me it was nothing, I don't think I would be.

Old 11-24-2003, 04:05 PM   #6
    fairiegoddess

fairiegoddess HB User

thanx for ur advice...i went to doc today and he felt the mass under my nipple under left breast...i had hoped i was feeling things but evidently he felt a mass also. So i go for a mammogram tomm. and ultrasound if needed. I am sorry about your havin it and am glad you are doing better also! Ive always put things off but this is one thing im not letting go at all. Some say oh ur too young etc. but id rather be safe than sorry. So.....ill see tomm. and hopefully its nothing. did u just happen to find urs one day? did it hurt and was it big? mines not real big and its not painful...just a hard lump!! thanx for ur help girls!

Old 11-24-2003, 04:26 PM   #7
    fairiegoddess

fairiegoddess HB User

oh yeah one more thing...should i also ask for the ultrasound if the mamm. doesnt turn up anything..i dont know if im young enough for the mamm not to work properly? they said i will have one if they do see aything but even if they dont should i ask..being im under 30...ill be 28 in march

Old 11-24-2003, 04:54 PM   #8
    Kalie
    (female)

Kalie HB User

Hi fariegoddess,

Hopefully this whole thing will turn out to be nothing. I would definitely recommend requesting an ultrasound. It is more difficult for a mgram to detect breast cancer in younger women b/c our breast tissue is denser.

I found my lump by accident one day. It didn't hurt, it was kind of close to the surface so I could poke at it pretty easily. It was kind of mobile in that if I pushed it with my finger I could kind of move it around. It was irregularly shaped. I learned later that as cancer advances tumors become less and less mobile as they anchor themselves into surrounding tissue.

I had some really great experiences with Drs, and I also had some experiences that made me question how these people graduated med school! My obgyn didn't want to send me for any tests at all. She said I was too young to have cancer. I wouldn't leave her office until she wrote me a script for an ultrasound. She isn't my obgyn anymore I also had a second tumor that one Dr missed. This Dr's ultrasound tech didn't pick it up, but another Dr's tech did.

If your tests show that the lump is solid (not a cyst) you will probably need a biopsy, which really isn't too bad. If you need a biopsy (which I hope you don't btw) talk to your surgeon about performing a lumpectomy instead of a core needle biopsy. I wanted a core needle procedure which is less invasive, but my surgeon pointed out that if he used the needle to grab a sample, that sample is not necessarily indicative of the composition of the whole tumor. He was right -- my tumor was part DCIS (pre-cancer), part moderately aggressive cancer, and part very aggressive cancer cells. What if I continued treatment thinking I only had pre-cancer?

I hope I'm not scaring you or getting ahead of the situation by talking about biopsies and stuff, it's just that you never know if people will revisit this board and I just really wanted to let you know about some potential problems that good Drs can help you avoid.

I'll be thinking about you! If you think of anything else, post back! Also, pls post your results if you don't mind -- I hope everything turns out great!

Kalie

Old 11-24-2003, 05:03 PM   #9
    fairiegoddess

fairiegoddess HB User

thank you so much i will defiantely request the ultrasound along with the mammogram...im already scheduled for the ultrasound so ill still demand that it get done whether or not the mamm. comes up normal...otherwise ill not rest until i have one. thats exactly how my lump feels...its under my nipple tho. this is scary! u havent scared me for ive been scared all weekend. id rather know the possibilites and details than be blind and deny the whole thing. Theres alot of history in my family of this cancer and ugh its so scary. Ill know tomm. and i will for sure let u know how it turns out...hopefully its nothing. weird that something told me to check that breast tho..that scares me. anyways im a bundle of nerves lol. im rambling..shaking. i know how u feel about quacky doctors, there seems to be too many of em out there too. Thanks for your help and i will update tomm. imma try and get some sleep now (yeah right lol). Have a good night and thanx again!

Closed Thread