It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• "atypical duct hyperplasia"?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2003, 11:09 AM   #1
    kimberlina

kimberlina HB User
    "atypical duct hyperplasia"?

My mother has a lump in her breast that has been diagnosed as "atypical duct hyperplasia". It has been explained to her that this is not a cancerous mass - nor will it ever will be - but rather an "indicator" of cancer. They want to remove a significant amount of her breast and she is feeling very saddened by this. Is the doctor simply choosing the easiest method of dealing with this? Is there another avenue that could be looked at? Or is this indeed the best route? Any insight/help/words of encouragement appreciated. Thank you so much!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2003, 12:04 PM   #2
    mnemosyne
    (female)

mnemosyne HB User
    Re: "atypical duct hyperplasia"?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kimberlina
    My mother has a lump in her breast that has been diagnosed as "atypical duct hyperplasia". It has been explained to her that this is not a cancerous mass - nor will it ever will be - but rather an "indicator" of cancer. They want to remove a significant amount of her breast and she is feeling very saddened by this. Is the doctor simply choosing the easiest method of dealing with this? Is there another avenue that could be looked at? Or is this indeed the best route? Any insight/help/words of encouragement appreciated. Thank you so much!!!
    First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your mother's situation. I wasn't specifically familiar with your mother's condition, but I did look it up. I'm not clear as to what your mother's doctor is recommending - is it a localized excisional biopsy? If so, that apparently is the standard follow-up for atypical ductal hyperplasia, unfortunately, and is necessary to ensure that the results of the core biopsy are correct and that your mother really does have atypical ductal hyperplasia and not something a bit more troubling.

If your mother isn't sure about the surgery, or is concerned about the amount of tissue her surgeon thinks necessary for a thorough evaluation, she should seek a second opinion. Also, does her surgeon specialize in breast surgery? If not, she should find someone who does. This can help minimize the amount of tissue they need to remove. In addition, your mother should ask that at least two different pathologists review the cells obtained in her biopsies. Many people don't realize that a second opinion can be obtained (and should be obtained!) from a second pathologist regarding the actual biopsy tissue. Pathologists aren't perfect, and sometimes the differences between weird benign cells and weird malignant cells are subtle, so for peace of mind, two pathologists, for sure!

It's really understandable that your mother is saddened, but both you and she should look on the bright side: most women with this condition do not develop breast cancer, and there are treatments that can further reduce her risk to something equivalent to the rest of the population. If she has a family history of breast cancer, she should mention it to her doctor, and she'll need to be diligent in monitoring her condition after the excisional biopsy comes back negative (and I'm sure it will!), but she will have the satisfaction that she's taking good care of herself and that her vigilance can only help keep her healthy, or, in the alternative, catch something early should the worst happen.

Good luck to both you and your Mom. I'm sure that she'll be just fine!

Old 01-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #3
    Mara

Re: "atypical duct hyperplasia"?

There are different things they look at to diagnose. I don't think someone can guarentee it "will*never* be" ca. If that statement was made, I suggest you gather all reports (radiology, cytology, biopsy...) and consider a second opinion prior to surgery. History is important. It all factors in. Read up all you can. Take Care, G

Closed Thread