It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Swelling and Pain After Breast Cancer Surgery and Radiation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2004, 05:32 AM   #1
    SapphireSky

SapphireSky HB User
    Swelling and Pain After Breast Cancer Surgery and Radiation

I had surgery for breast cancer in April, and radiation in May/June. I am still experiencing some swelling and pain in my breast and wondering how long this is going to last!! It is not something that is alarming, just pretty annoying at this point. I realize that my body is still recovering from the radiation. I can't sleep on my right side at all, can't wear certain bras and need to "hang on" when going over bumps in the car.

My radiation oncologist scheduled my follow-up visit and mammogram for the first of February, and today I contacted her to try to get it delayed (still waiting for a reply). I don't think I would be able to endure it at this point. It will hopefully be done more towards the 12-month mark instead of now.

Anyway, any tips on how to deal with this would really be appreciated. I know my doctor will most likely have me come in to be examined after my call to her office, so I will get info from her, too......but sometimes it is nice to know what others have done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2004, 11:21 PM   #2
    pooh5474

pooh5474 HB User
    Cool Re: Swelling and Pain After Breast Cancer Surgery and Radiation

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SapphireSky
    I had surgery for breast cancer in April, and radiation in May/June. I am still experiencing some swelling and pain in my breast and wondering how long this is going to last!! It is not something that is alarming, just pretty annoying at this point. I realize that my body is still recovering from the radiation. I can't sleep on my right side at all, can't wear certain bras and need to "hang on" when going over bumps in the car.

My radiation oncologist scheduled my follow-up visit and mammogram for the first of February, and today I contacted her to try to get it delayed (still waiting for a reply). I don't think I would be able to endure it at this point. It will hopefully be done more towards the 12-month mark instead of now.

Anyway, any tips on how to deal with this would really be appreciated. I know my doctor will most likely have me come in to be examined after my call to her office, so I will get info from her, too......but sometimes it is nice to know what others have done.

I think the pain is mainly from the surgery...I know it takes a long time. The swelling though, I would definitely have them check it out to make sure you don't have an infection at the surgical site. Maybe try some cool compresses to help with the pain. IF it is red and hot to touch where it is swollen, definitely do not try to doctor it at home and demand they see you.

Closed Thread