It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Pain in breast for the past 8+ months.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2004, 05:40 PM   #1
    Gemini

Gemini HB User
    Pain in breast for the past 8+ months.....

Hello,

I am 33 and I have had continual pain along the lateral side of my right breast for the past 8 months and I had my first Mammo done in Aug. 03' along w/an Ultrasound. There was a suspicious area of asymmetry found on the right breast along w/ductal ectasia. I was also told I have very dense breast tissue. The Radiologist then recommended I have a repeat Mammo done in 6 months only on the right side which I had done last month. The results came back as the suspicious area is unchanged from the last study but I am wondering why I did not have another Ultrasound done then too to compare w/the last one?? I still have a lot of lateral pain which is not cyclical and is present all the time not just before or when I have my period. I saw my General surgeon yesterday who was not concerned and said the pain is from my dense breast tissue?? He told me to come back in 1yr and have another Mammogram done then as well as an exam. I was in a LOT of pain after the breast exam yesterday with the surgeon. The pain was all laterally again and would not let up and I even have it again today. Is that normal?? I do see my Gyn in a week and I will question her about this more. I am concerned because I don't believe I should be having pain daily?? I have been taking pain medication for my TMJ and knee joints but I don't think that would cause the pain. I am seriously considering going to another notable breast surgeon for a second opinion. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks for reading this.

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2004, 07:27 PM   #2
    Johncar

Johncar HB User
    Re: Pain in breast for the past 8+ months.....

Hi Sue, I would recommend going to another clinic... perhaps a "breast" clinic for a second opinion. As a person who has experienced many health ailments, it is my opinion that you need to be an advocate for yourself and find someone who can alleviate your concerns. I would ask your general surgeon, your radiologist, or a 2nd opinion doc if you could have a biopsy. That way any questionable area can be diagnosed as okay or not and you can be treated for whatever you need to be treated for. I have chronic breast pain and it is NOT related to breast cancer.... which I can vouch for since I have had breast cancer. Please don't worry but do be checked until you don't HAVE to worry!

Old 03-27-2004, 04:40 AM   #3
    Gemini

Gemini HB User

Thank you Johncar for your response. I did set up an appt. for the 2nd opinion in 3wks. This surgeon is also the chief of surgical oncology and does deal w/breast problems so I think I'm going to the right Dr. Do you think I should have an ultrasound done again on the right side?? Ok, I'll keep you posted.

Old 03-27-2004, 03:53 PM   #4
    Johncar

Johncar HB User

Hi Susan, you might want to call the doc of the 2nd opinion office and ask if they would like you to have another ultrasound before you see them. They may even want the first results to compare the two. If you have that conversation before your appt you can have all of the slides forwarded to them so that your doc can be informed as possible for the appt.

I'm very glad you are seeking a second opinion.

Deb

Old 03-28-2004, 10:33 AM   #5
    Gemini

Gemini HB User

Hi Deb,

I am seeing my GYN on Wed. anyway and I am going to ask her why another ultrasound was not done at the time of the mammogram . I hope she will order the ultrasound because it would only make sense to compare it w/the one done 8 months ago. I know that the other ultrasound showed ductal ectasia and the mammogram showed asymmetry on the right side. Thanks again for your response. I'll keep you posted.

Sue

Old 04-08-2004, 12:28 AM   #6
    debalicious

debalicious HB User

Several years ago, I too went to the doctor because of pain in my left breast. they almost miss the cancer (carsonoma/ something to do with the milk duct) I was in my 30's and was told that kind of cancer would have been noticibly by age 45. they had
    did a biopsy and it was on the tip the biopsy. Today I'm having chemo because that
    cancer had spread to various parts of my bones and the fluid had settled in the space
    of my right lungs. Be aggressive with that pain please!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread