It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Breast Lump Felt but Not Seen?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
    starr92
    (female)

starr92 HB User
    Unhappy Breast Lump Felt but Not Seen?

Hello All,
    I have been having alot of pain (tender, Sore) in my left breast for about 3 weeks. I was doing a breast exam and felt a small lump about the size of a pea.I went to my gyno yesterday he also felt it and sent me to get a mammogram/ultrasound. Which i got done today, the mammogram showed nothing,(they said probalby because of my age i'm 30)so they did the ultrasound. the lump i have the tech said is very mobile and she had a hard time seeing it on ultrasound she actually had to hold her finger on the lump and then place the wand right over it to try and catch it.
    When the doc came in he really did'nt say much, but i did ask if it was a cyst and he said no. He suggested i get another ultrasound in 3 months, but i have an appt with a breast surgeon on Thursday so i will see what he thinks.
    Sorry this is so long but i can't sleep or eat i am so scared when i think of breast cancer. Has anyone had an experience with a lump you can feel but not see?? I also have pain in my breast as well as under my arm, any ideas what this could be?? Any help would be great

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
    lafs4me
    (female)

lafs4me HB User
    Re: Breast Lump Felt but Not Seen?

Hi. It could be a lymph node. That happened to me last Nov. I was nursing my son and discovered a soft grape sized lump in my left breast. Because I was still nursing and have fibrocystic breasts, I had an ultrasound - the radiologist told me it was just a lymph node. It has shrunk and grown (no bigger than originally felt) over the months. It hurts from time to time (does now). I'm going in for a follow up next month to check it out again. If it is any comfort, the doctor told me that if it hurts its likely not malignant. It could be hormonal. The surgeon's see this stuff all the time. I'm sure they will be able to give you a definative answer.

I know what you mean about not being able to sleep or eat. I felt the same way too when I was waiting to get my ultrasound. The waiting is the worst. But the stress and worry take their toll too. Look at it this way, you're taking the proper steps to find out what's going on. Try not to freak out - I know its hard to do when you're worried. Good luck.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
    smithn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

smithn HB User

Yes, there are many women who have lumps that are felt but are not seen - and seen but not felt. If it helps at all, a lump that is mobile is less likely to be a breast cancer. Also, please keep your appt. with the surgeon. He can try to aspirate the lump to see if he can get any fluid out of it to rule out a cyst for certain. (It may very well be just a cyst). I would be eager to know what the US impression reads. Ask for a copy of it as well as your mammogram and be sure that you either take these reports and your films to the surgeon's office when you see him. Or, ask your referring doctor to make sure they are sent ahead so that they are there in the office while you are having your exam. Two days prior to your appt., call your surgeon and ask them if your films have arrived yet. If not, go to your hospital's radiology dept. and sign them out yourself and hand-carry them.

Old 05-20-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
    starr92
    (female)

starr92 HB User

Thank you both for the input. I did fill out a form so i can pick up all the results on Monday or Tuesday to bring to the surgeon on Thursday. You are right about the waiting it is driving me NUTS!! I can't stop thinking about it. But i am so lucky i have wonderful family around me who are very supportive and a great husband, i thank god for that. The fact that the lump is mobile, and is painful is a good sign but you never know. I also have a pain in my left shoulder blade which the gyno said could be from this, but the doc today said no?? So that is confusing also? It is so scary when this happens. I thank you again and i will keep you posted as i find out more!

Old 05-21-2005, 10:22 AM   #5
    smithn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

smithn HB User

The discomfort you feel in your left shoulder-blade area could simply be due to the many times you have been holding your arm back a little (or over your head) to feel your breast lump. If you are like any of us and have something like this, you have probably been feeling for this lump frequently, trying to keep track of the size and whereabouts of it, etc. You might have just been overworking the muscles in your shoulder. I'm happy you have a good deal of support. So many people don't. You would be surprised at the number of patients that are left alone to deal with their fears. I feel so sorry for them. Yes, do let us know how you make out with your situation!

Old 05-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
    twiggy7977
    (female)

twiggy7977 HB User

Hi,
    I had a lump in my breast back in April that i had removed and biopsied was benign...but it started out the same way...i could feel it..the doc and techs could feel it but couldn't see it on either the ultrasound or mam.
    Because we couldn't see it my doc sent me to a breast surgeon and we decided for my peace of mind ( he thought all along that it was benign) that we should remove it. Like he said...we can't be 100% sure by just feeling it.
    So we removed it. It was about the size of a quarter.
    If it worries you at all...ask for it to be biopsied. That is the only way you will know 100% what it is...and for your own peace.
    Let us know how things go..
    hugs,
    Twiggy
    (Oh...i am 32)

Last edited by twiggy7977; 05-25-2005 at 05:06 PM.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:59 PM   #7
    starr92
    (female)

starr92 HB User

Hi Guys,
    Went to the surgeon today, he's pretty sure it is a fibroadenoma. He gave me the option to either leave it or have it removed. I think for MY piece of mind i might have it removed to be 100% sure. He said it would be done at the hospital (outpatient) with a local.

Twiggy thanks for your input since you just went through this, how did the removel go? How long did it take? was it done in a hospital? How big is the scar? Sorry for all the questions but i have never had any kind of anything done to me! LOL A little nervous! My lump is about the size of a pea.

Thanks Again for all you help!

Old 05-26-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
    twiggy7977
    (female)

twiggy7977 HB User

hi..
    glad to hear that he thinks it is benign...
    I did the out paitent as well..it was done in the hospital...had a local. The whole thing took about an hour. I got to watch the whole thing...was quite interesting in a odd way...
    Saw what the 'lump' looked like...
    I took the day off work the next day as it is uncomfortable....was very sensative for over a week...
    My scar is about an inch long...he did the incision around my nipple as the lump was kinda 1/2 under it...so the scar should fade into the nipple...ya!
    My fibroadenoma was about the size of a quarter...so i am thinking maybe your scar will be smaller?? not sure.

When do you go in to get it removed? I think you are doing the right thing...it would have drove me nuts to have it in me and not be 100% sure what it was...even my surgeon said that..
    Glad that i did it..

Please let me know how it goes for you!
    hugs,
    Twiggy

Old 05-26-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
    starr92
    (female)

starr92 HB User

Well that doesn't sound to bad... i don't know if i could watch though! I would be curious as to what the "lump" actually looks like though. My is kinda on the outer part of my breast closer to my armpit, so maybe the scar will not be that noticable. At first i was thinking i would just leave it but the more i think about it, it's driving me NUTS! Better to get it out and be safe. I am going to call the surgeon's office in the morning and see when i can get this done. I will let you know when i get a date hope it is soon. Thank You so much for taking the time to answer my questions, it really does help!

Old 06-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #10
    twiggy7977
    (female)

twiggy7977 HB User

Hi Starr92
    was wondering how things are going for you? any update?
    let me know..

Twiggy

Old 06-07-2005, 06:46 PM   #11
    starr92
    (female)

starr92 HB User

Hi Twiggy!
    You must have read my mind as i just thinking about posting to you for more questions!
    I have a date set for June 16th for pre-admission testing? blood work etc.
    The surgery date is set for june 22 at noon. They told me to report at 10:30A.M. for admission etc. Is this how it worked for you?
    I really am looking forward to getting this over with, but i am very nervous about getting it done!! if that makes any sense? They also told me i would be given a local with sedation? Is this what you had or only the local? I am not sure if i want to be sedated, i just want to kinda of get in and get out of there ya know! LOL
    Also i am worried because alot of what i have read says that fibroadenoma is not painful? My breast is tender right around where the lump is and a dull ache in my armpit, (the lump is on the outer part of my left breast close to my armpit) Did you also have pain like this with yours?
    Sorry for all the questions but this waiting is so hard... I THANK YOU so much for taking the time to answer my questions! i really am grateful!

Old 06-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #12
    twiggy7977
    (female)

twiggy7977 HB User

Hi,
    Glad to hear from ya..and that you have your apt.
    I was to be at the hospital at least an hour early...and then of course had to wait longer than that! ha! they were a bit behind.
    I did have a local...the breast was totally frozen...feels very odd..
    I didn't have any sedation...i was pretty calm and didn't want or need any.

I can understand your nervousness..i was too...extremely. Mostly cause i didn't know what to expect...with the whole procedure. It was a lot eaiser and better than i expected....we always think the worst right?!

My lump was almost under my nipple on the inside of my right breast...
    I didn't have any pain with it at all.

I was at my doctor this morning as i am still having pain under where my incision is...running down to the middle of my ribcage. He thinks it is nerves healing...
    was odd cause the pain didn't start till a month after my surgery...just feels like a bruise..no color or anything..
    guess it is normal..
    ha!

I hope this helps abit...and please ask as many as you want!
    glad i can help..
    keep me posted!!
    hugs,
    Twiggy

Old 06-08-2005, 06:43 PM   #13
    starr92
    (female)

starr92 HB User

I do not think i want to be sedated either, although i am very nervous it's really the waiting that get me! I think once i am there and know it is going to be done i will be fine.

Two more questions for ya..LOL How long after the procedure was done were you able to leave the hospital? Right after or do you go to some kind of recovery? And last how quick do you get the results back?

Thanks so much for listening and helping!

Old 06-09-2005, 01:03 PM   #14
    twiggy7977
    (female)

twiggy7977 HB User

I left right away....they sewed me up...bandaged me...gave me a prescription for pain killers...and home i went..
    My hubby was with me of course...i didn't want to have to drive...

I got the results over a week later...but the surgeon was pretty sure by seeing the lump that it was fine...that made me feel good. although I still stressed till the moment i heard it was benign...
    then i cried... didn't realize how stressed i was about the whole thing till it was over.

Must say i am parinoid now....i worry about it more...more aware i guess..
    which i supose is good..to a point..

Hang in there! thinking about you!
    Twiggy

Old 06-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #15
    starr92
    (female)

starr92 HB User

Thank you so much for all the info...just talking with someone who has been through this helps so much and knowing more what to expect at the hospital also puts my mind at ease....alittle! lol

My husband will be going with me also, I am counting the days till this is over and praying for good news. I know what you mean about being parnoid this experinece has already made me much more aware of my body and has changed my way of thinking! I promise to keep you posted as the days go on!
    Thanks Again!

Closed Thread