It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• best "pain meds"?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-21-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
    maria konoff
    (female)

maria konoff HB User
    best "pain meds"?

i would like to know which pain meds have been the most successful for others. having lots of pain and issues w/finding the right pain meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
    WannaBeFreeToRoam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
    Re: best "pain meds"?

Hi Maria,

Some gynocologist, mine included think that there are different pain meds for female problems than for other illnesses. They can give you muscle relaxers, which do help with the pain. But, some of them hardly help at all. And it depends on how long you are going to take them and if you are going to try and work while taking them and if you have children to watch after.

That said, the only pain medications that I have ever taken, were for frozen shoulder, arthritis, sprained ankle and female problems. Hydrocodone works well. It comes in at least 2 strengths. I have only ever taken 5 mg. It also comes in 7.5 mg. I now take Tramadol (Ultram) and it works some. But not as good as hydrocodone. Tramadol is not as addicting or liable to get you hooked. It takes 2 hours for it to work to its fullest. The hydrocodone, takes 1 hour to work to its fullest.

There are lots more meds, but I do not know how they work or if they take a long time. Muscle relaxers help and valium helps. Maybe someone will reply in the am. If you are going to a doctor, it is best not to suggest a certain type of pain meds. Most doctors do not like that. They think you are searching for drugs. Just sort of work with them and talk to them and tell them what you have already taken and why it did not work.

Sorry, that I cannot be of more help.

You may want to go to the pain board.

Wannabe

Old 01-11-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
    Kalie
    (female)

Kalie HB User

Hi there Maria!

For pain caused by my bone mets I take Oxycontin which is time released and long-acting. I take Oxycodone for breakthrough pain. The Oxycontin doesn't make me drowsy or anything, I just take it three times a day and I'm ok.

Pain caused by cancer is unlike any other pain I've had in my life! I was a Division I athlete in college and had 4 operations on my ankle, but it never hurt as bad as my bone mets do. Unless you've experienced it, there's no way to know what it's like. Vicodin and Percocet didn't cut it for me, but the Oxycontin does the job. Cancer pain is way out of the realm of Aleve and other OTCs.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
    antoinettev3
    (female)

antoinettev3 HB User

I too am a cancer patient and can relate to what you're going through. I don't have bone mets but the pain from my mesothelioma was SO bad last year that I finally gave in and did radiation which worked like a charm and I'm off all pain meds.

I had a hard time finding a drug that worked well and didn't make me miserable with side effects. My pain doc never gave me Oxy but I tried Ultram, Neurontin, Dilaudid, Duragesic, Methadone and Vicodin. The Vicodon was the only thing I could barely tolerate but then my body doesn't respond to narcotics like most people do.

I've read where there are specific drugs for the pain that's caused by bone mets. Bisphosphonates (etidronate, clodronate, pamidronate, and zoledronate). Have you looked on line? From what I've read they seem to work pretty well. Radiation is also used for the pain of bone mets. Has your doctor talked to you about that option?

I'm SO sorry that you're going through this. Do you have a pain management doctor or is your oncologist trying to deal with your pain? I highly recommend a pain doc since that's all they do. As a cancer patient you won't run into the same problems with docs being afraid to prescribe stronger or higher dose drugs as people with chronic pain conditions do.

I pray that you will get relief for your pain. Keep us posted when you can.

God Bless.

Antoinette

Closed Thread