It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Inflammatory Breast Cancer-Important Question!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
    Chelsea22
    (female)

Chelsea22 HB User
    Unhappy Inflammatory Breast Cancer-Important Question!!!

For those of you that have been diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer, or know of someone that had it- how long did you show symptoms before you were actually diagnosed??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
    StitchinDeb
    (female)

StitchinDeb HB User
    Re: Inflammatory Breast Cancer-Important Question!!!

Hi - My friend told me about this board and your unanswered question! I hope you're still checking here. I am an IBC survivor (yeah!) cancer free since at least Dec 2004 (that's when I had surgery - pathology came back cancer free)

I didn't have ANY symptoms that I noticed until literally one day I noticed my left breast twice the size of my right. I was wearing a shirt I'd bought just the month before for vacation that had fit me fine then - but I was busting out if it the day that I noticed it. I went to my gyno the next day and had a mammogram and ultrasound the next day - and was pretty much told I had BC at that point - didn't get "official" confirmation until after the biopsy and then found out it was IBC - which like most of us, I'd never heard of. (explains why you haven't gotten an answer!) I'd had a mammogram the Sept.2003 before - this all happened the first week of July 2004 - and it was fine. So it happened really fast - although traditional mammograms aren't very good at catching IBC - but it made me feel better to know I'd at least done what I was supposed to do - no "what if's". As I read more on IBC I saw where an itchy nipple can sometimes be a symptom - and I had that happen a few times probably about 3 months before diagnosis. I just thought it was dry skin after going to Walt Disney World and swimming at spring break - and maybe it was!

Anyway - I'd be glad to answer any other questions or offer support if needed. I didn't find anyone who'd had IBC until well after my treatments were over - when I looked on the internet it was ususally doom and gloom - so I quit looking. I can say that I believe Herceptin saved my life.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
    dianemam
    (female)

dianemam HB User

ok, well, I have a question....
    I don't have ALL the symptoms listed for IBC, but do have a few. I have the ichy nipple, discharge, pain, lumpy feeling, and my breast has gotten a bit larger, and more solid. I had a mamogram, which they said showed cysts, which look benign. But, I made an appointment with a surgeon anyway, because of these symptoms, and my question is----what do I ask the surgeon?
    Am I suppose to ask for a biopsy, or will the surgeon tell me if he thinks its necasary? These symptoms are not getting worse, except the pain is more noticable.
    Am I just looking for trouble?
    Thanks for any info you all would have.
    diane

Old 08-10-2006, 05:58 AM   #4
    rushell
    (female)

rushell HB User

diane, recently I have had a similar experience both with lumps and itching. I also find that my breast tends to feel fevered a bit but it is not any larger. My dr. also said that because of my symptoms, he wants to check for ibc.My next step is a biopsy, which i'm sure is the next step in your case too.

They will either do a needle aspiration or take a small sample of the lump and test it. The surgeon will decide which is more preferable.

Be glad that they are paying attention. You seem to be in good hands. Do what needs to be done, that way you are not wondering "what if".......lots of hugs. rushell

Old 08-10-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
    dianemam
    (female)

dianemam HB User

Rushell,
    Thanks for the response.
    I have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow, so will let you know what he says.
    I think, with something like this, I would rather know for sure what is going on. And if its not some kind of cancer, I want to know what there is to treat it. My doctor wants me to go off my hormone pills, but take a few months to do it, so that may help.
    Whatever the surgeon decides to do, it doesn't sound fun at all. I don't know anything about any biopsies.
    So, let me know what you find, also, please.
    And what's your weather been like in PE....I live about 20 miles from Trail, BC
    diane

Old 08-11-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
    rushell
    (female)

rushell HB User
    Wink Re: Inflammatory Breast Cancer-Important Question!!!

diane, just a couple of questions. Where exactly is your pain and how long have you had it? And also, how long have you been taking the hormone pills?

I finally got some hydrocortisone cream for the itching yesterday and my dr. said that if it is not completely gone by sunday to come right back in. He seemed more concerned about the itch than anything?!? Anyway, i've also noticed a few little blister-like spots around my areola and my nipple has just started to hurt. (like someone pinched it REALLY hard.)
    I'm still waiting for my app. with my surgeon so i'm really interested in whet happens at your app. today.

My dr. said that my mammo and ultrasound show the cysts and said they appear benign but still wants to do the biopsy anyway. He said that you can still have benign cysts and have ibc.

As for our weather here, had alot of thunderstorms lately but it's really nice today, no humidity and 20 degrees. a little like fall in the air.....fresh.
    I'll be looking tonight to see how your app. went. I'm hoping the best for you. tc......rushell

Old 08-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
    dianemam
    (female)

dianemam HB User

rushell,
    my appointment yesterday went well. I really liked the surgeon, and felt like he was truely listening to me. He said that I have several issues and none of them point to ibc. I have no history of breast cancer in the family, and also, my symptoms have not changed quickly, like ibc would. So, he agreed that I need to go off the hormone pills, which I have been taking for 2 1/2 years. I need to take about 4 months to go off, and also, cut back on the caffeen, as he believes I have that fibercystic disease. He says I will feel much better w/o the hormones, because it makes the pain in the breasts worse. (he doesn't know how I am w/o hormones, so we shall see WHO feels better)
    So, I feel a whole lot better now,anyway, just talking to him. He also said, If anything changes, call him right away.
    So, there ya go. Let me know what you find out too, please.
    thanks for asking about me
    diane

Closed Thread