It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Tamoxifen And Arimidex Conflict

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2007, 06:05 AM   #1
    redsands
    (female)

redsands HB User
    Tamoxifen And Arimidex Conflict

endocronologist thought it would be a really bad thingto switch to Arimidex. - my bone density scores aren't good at all- to switch over to Arimix after my 2 yrs of Tamoxifen.I had to take 1and a half years of an injectable drug called Forteo to bring up my scores a bit- ( still take Fossamax- but it wasn't doing the job. and I had to do the Forteo injections. My endocronologist said I was lucky I didn't get breast cancer first- or I wouldn't have been able to take Forteo- which definitely helped)- taking arimidex would just knock it back badly( my scores) on the bone density- the problem is - the numbers- and my oncologist- who keeps telling me that my chances of recurrence are diminished by taking 2 or 3 yrs of Arimidex or Femara- so I guess it boils down to- want to have fractures of a spine. or another breast cancer- what a choice- guess nothing is easy . any feedback out there

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
    cjammom
    Inactive
    (female)

cjammom HB User
    Re: Tamoxifen And Arimidex Conflict

Gee RedSands..I am so sorry to hear about all this..you truly have some dilemma here! I can understand your endo's concern as I have read about women having bone density problems with these drugs..I guess that for me..I would have to say that quality of life would be most important in my mind in deciding..as a matter of fact, I have decided that after my 5yrs is up..because of side effects that I experience..I will not take any other medications for breast cancer..Im done..The meds are taking their toll on my body, and I am very worried about long term effects..
    This is a tough journey we take! I can understand how confused and worried you must be feeling about all of this..I will pray for you, for peace, in your heart and in your mind.. these decisions are just so tough!

many hugs to you,
    cj.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
    redsands
    (female)

redsands HB User

hI cJ
    wHAT MEDS ARE YOU ON?/I AM STARTING my third yr of tamoxifen- it too has taken its toll- up and down emotions, dry vaginal walls, hot flashes- it is a hard road. I am erpositve- no nodes, lumpectomy and radiation her negative. Keep in touch
    Best
    Red

Old 09-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
    cjammom
    Inactive
    (female)

cjammom HB User

Hi Red, how ya doin??
    I am on arimidex..switched over from tamoxifen (after two years and a half)..I had become surgically menopausal so I began aromasin..just recently I had to take a 6week break from that because the side effects were very painful and unbearable..after the break I began arimidex..I am looking to complete my 5yr total plan so I have about 9 more months to go.I was estrogen + by only 5% and progesterone-,her2-. So I really feel as though its such a shot in the dark whether any of these hormonal treatments are working at all..but Im trying to hang in there..per my Oncologists request to make the 5 yr. mark, and then Im done..will not continue any further with those meds..no matter what!!
    You are right..tough road..and my journey never seems to end..was just dx with cardiomyopathy..maybe caused by chemo..so Im adding 2 more meds to my list!! UGH!
    Have you tried any meds to help you deal with those side effects?
    We gotta hang tough though, no matter what!!
    keep in touch, Ill be here!!
    hugs,
    cj.

Closed Thread