It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Lumpectomy/sentinel node yesterday

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2007, 03:58 AM   #1
    vallegrrl
    (female)

vallegrrl HB User
    Lumpectomy/sentinel node yesterday

I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node dissection with guide wire and radioactive dye stuff yesterday afternoon, have been home about 12 hours.
    I was entremely anxious with all I had heard about the wire and the dye shot. Neither was completely painless but neither was near as bad as I had heard, both were easier than the biopsy.
    I am sore this morning but moving around the house freely and very glad to be home. Worst part was just feeling weird from anesthesia and Vicodin, and the anxiety beforehand.Now that drugs have worn off I am just using an ice bag and am feeling clear headed and very glad to be home.
    Those of you who have this surgery coming up, try to relax, what I had heard was so much worse than it really was.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
    cjammom
    Inactive
    (female)

cjammom HB User
    Re: Lumpectomy/sentinel node yesterday

your so right vallegrl, everyone responds differently..and have varying degrees of pain threshold..
    Did you get all the info about your type of cancer..and treatment plan..?
    Hope you had a good day today!
    hugs,
    cj.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
    vallegrrl
    (female)

vallegrrl HB User

yes, pathology report said clear margins and negative nodes. I go back to the surgeon next week; she is sending me to a radiation oncologist to start radiation as soon as incision heals enough.
    And in the middle of all this I go back to the hospital two weeks from today for a total hysterectomy- I have hyperplasia but can no longer be treated with progesterone because my breast cancer is strongly estrogen and progesterone positive, so they're pulling everything out, which is what I wanted in the first place.
    I am about 48 hours post lumpectomy now, have taken no pain meds except tylenol yesterday morning, am moving around, stitches under arm are slightly annoying because they pull a little, other than that no complaints except slightly tired.
    I didn't think I would feel this good this soon. All in all the surgery was easier than I thought it would be. Looking back, the roughest part, for me, was the ultrasound-guided biopsy, and even that was bearable- I didn't scream or cry, was able to tolerate it and stay still,just could feel it.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:07 AM   #4
    bharkins
    Veteran
    (female)

bharkins HB User

Yes, Vallegrrl, I felt just as good as you after my lumpectomy and node surgery. The surgery under the arm felt sore longer than the breast, but I must say that the entire experience was not bad at all. The radiation treatment was nothing. The killer is the side effects of the femara which has to be taken for five years after. Good luck to you.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
    Survivor 1957
    (female)

Survivor 1957 HB User

Hi, I am so glad you are recovering so well, I had the same thing and I am still having pain under my arm and the swelling has not gone down. The Dr drained some of the blood out last Monday and if it does not go down on its own they will drain it again. i have not go back to work yet and it has been 3 1/2 weeks. the Dr kept me out till the 14th.

I bruised quite a lot and when I take a deep breath it hurts. The Dr states it is because of how deep they had to cut. I start chemmo on the 12th and that was a disappointment. Then it is 31 treatments of radiation.

k

Old 11-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
    gilly033
    (female)

gilly033 HB User

I'm almost seven weeks post-surgery now, and can finally stretch my arm all the way over my head without shooting pain down the arm. Still have some puffiness in the breast above the incision - the lymph site is doing very well, but I agree that the pain there was worse and lasted longer... although I am having lingering pain in the breast and shooting pains through the nipple. I guess it's all so individual - how big the lump, where, age, health, skill of the surgeon, etc. For those experiencing swelling at all I recommend lymphatic drainage massage - very effective, soothing and non-invasive. It has helped my post swelling dramatically. Also pure lavender oil helps the wound heal faster and reportedly helps minimize scarring. It's very healing.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
    vallegrrl
    (female)

vallegrrl HB User

I am now 8 days post lumpectomy, go back to surgeon today. I am still sore and somewhat swollen under the arm, a little heaviness in the breast, slightly more tired than usual. I take tylenol at night, have not used any prescription pain meds so far. Had swollen hand part of one day, elevated it, okay by next morning. Wearing an industrial strength bra helps a lot.
    I sleep well at night, am up and around mornings- started driving day 4, have taken a couple of short shopping trips. Need a nap by afternoon, not much stamina.
    I am scheduled for a total hysterectomy next week so don't know if I will try to go back to work between or just stay at home and take it easy. I am not
    in pain and do not feel sick but am not 100% yet either.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #8
    freckles47
    (female)

freckles47 HB User

Hi Valleygirl,
    Bless your heart, breast surgery, followed by hysterectomy--you have a lot on your plate. I'm three weeks post lumpectomy, and have started chemo. Feeling good, so far. I had a hysterectomy 14 years ago, and it was the best gift I've ever given myself. Went on Premarin for most of that time, so didn't have any side effects to speak of. Although breast cancer wasn't estrogen positive, I'm now off hormones--so my hot flashes are really a bummer now.
    Be thinking of and saying a prayer for you these next few days.
    Best wishes.
    Freckles

Last edited by freckles47; 11-07-2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: misspelled word

Old 11-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
    vallegrrl
    (female)

vallegrrl HB User

I saw the surgeon today- incision is fine, she said underarm discomfort is normal for this stage and will slowly get better. She okayed me to return to work 4 hours a day until my hysterectomy next week. Also told me to get the strongest support bra I can find and wear it all the time.( I am a 48DD and gravity is quite a force to deal with)
    I worked 4 hours today, am tired but no worse than I feel by the end of the day at home, and less bored. I am lucky to have an employer who is glad to have me work whatever hours I can, very flexible.
    I am not looking forward to another round of surgery. Also was referred by my surgeon to an oncologist and a radiation oncologist- will meet with the radiation guy before my surgery, the other oncologist after it. I understand I am likely to have 6 weeks of daily radiation on top of the two surgeries.
    On the bright side, I have two wonderful tiny grandchildren and a lot to look
    forward to once I get through the next few months.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
    vallegrrl
    (female)

vallegrrl HB User

I am now 11 days post lumpectomy and starting to feel normal- enough energy to shop and visit with friends today, worked half days Wednesday and Thursday. Still slight discomfort under arm but much improved, also much better energy level and better mood, able to enjoy what I usually enjoy.
    Unfortunately, I am having a total hysterectomy in five days and will also start radiation as soon after that as I can, so I expect to be knocked on my butt again- but this chance to feel good for a few days inbetween is wonderful. It does improve each day.

Closed Thread