It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Stereotactic Breast Biopsy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 AM   #1
    willo1980
    Veteran
    (female)

willo1980 HB User
    Stereotactic Breast Biopsy

I go for this on Monday morning. What can I expect? They said local anesthetic (sp) but will I still have pain? Will the doctor doing it know anything then? Does cancer look a certain way in the needle? I'm just of questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
    bharkins
    Veteran
    (female)

bharkins HB User
    Re: Stereotactic Breast Biopsy

Hi Willow,

I had a stereotactic biopsy. They put you face down on a table with a hole in it for the breast to be exposed. They raise the table and the doctor sits down low at the head of the table so that he can take the tissue to be biopsied from the exposed breast. The doctor will give you a needle to numb the breast area where he will take about six samples of tissue that is then sent to the lab to determine cancer or not. Just make sure that the area is good and numb before he takes the tissue. Make sure that he waits enough time for the numbness or you will feel some pain. It should be fine. Good Luck.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
    BioAdoptMom3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

My experience was about the same as the PP's. I actually didn't even feel the numbing much because the breast is compressed and that helps to eliminate a lot of any pain you may feel. My radiologist did tell me afterwards that it looked like it probably wasn't cancer, but it took two days to get the results from my GYN. Good luck and let us know your results.

Nancy

Old 11-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
    willo1980
    Veteran
    (female)

willo1980 HB User

Thanks guys. I just got back from the procedure, and in itself, it wasn't bad. I didn't feel any pain just uncomfortable tightness from the compression. Even the numbling shot wasn't bad. They were concerned because A) the spot had grown 2 mm since May, B) It was sitting directly on top of a blood vessel, and C) there is not a 3 mm spot deeper in the breast and on the same vessel that WASN'T there on my mammo from Nov. 5!! They took out the 5 mm one. I couldn't really see anything in the specimen cup but blood. I bled so bad that I am now wrapped in a bandage! There was blood everywhere! Hopefully, it comes back benign and I can move on with my life. I'm in pain now though, the tylenol isn't doing too much. I'm stinging A LOT!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
    bharkins
    Veteran
    (female)

bharkins HB User

Hi Willo,

Glad you came through all right. I hope the info made it easier. Best wishes for a good report.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
    BioAdoptMom3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Are you taking the Tylenol before you are feeling pain? Be sure to take it about every three to three and a half hours or so before you have a chance to feel pain. It should be tons better tomorrow. If its not, I would call and let them know.

Nancy

Old 11-20-2007, 06:04 AM   #7
    willo1980
    Veteran
    (female)

willo1980 HB User

They actually had be take the tylenol before I left the hospital and I'd been taking before pain was felt all day and night. I should've taken it next at 5:30 this morning and I slept through it (actually I sort of woke up but was worried I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep if I woke up so I dozed on and off). Now I am in PAIN! I took my tylenol almost an hour ago and it's not doing much. I have pain from the side of my breast all the into my armpit. They told me a nurse would be calling me so thats good,.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
    BioAdoptMom3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Did the nurse call? I remember being very sore for a few days afterwards, but do not remember having actual pain after about the first 24 hours. I hope you got some answers and are feeling better by now.

Nancy

Old 11-21-2007, 05:48 AM   #9
    willo1980
    Veteran
    (female)

willo1980 HB User

Nurse just called me and had me take the bandages off. Said to use some ice because it's still a little swollen. It's red around the incision area but I can't tell if that's from tape irritation or what. I'm gonna take my tylenol like she told me to. And will call her back if it's not getting better.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
    lala-whatsnext
    Inactive
    (female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

I go in Tuesday afternoon for this biospy. They told me they would give me a Valium so I needed a driver. I am sure it will help me get through it. It seems like if anything happens, it happens to me. So I am hoping for the best but trying to be prepared for the worse. I can't help but be scared, cancer is such a scary word.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:58 PM   #11
    willo1980
    Veteran
    (female)

willo1980 HB User

Cancer is frightening, Lala. Hope your biopsy goes as smoothly as everyone elses did. Hope you don't have cancer, either. I will find out Tuesday. Such an awful long time to wait.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #12
    lala-whatsnext
    Inactive
    (female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

yes it is.
    I went back for my second mammo thinking nothing of it because I've had cyst show up before. But right away I knew it wasn't cyst when she showed it too me. I'm going to try and stay busy with the granddaughters this weekend to keep my mind off of it. I'll watch for your post to see what your results were.
    fingers crossed for you.....lala

Old 11-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #13
    lala-whatsnext
    Inactive
    (female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

I had mine today. I will know the results on Thursday or Friday.
    Did willo get her results yet?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 AM   #14
    willo1980
    Veteran
    (female)

willo1980 HB User

Got my results last night: BENIGN!!! It was lymph node tissue!!!! No more mammo's until I'm 35!!!!!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:04 AM   #15
    lala-whatsnext
    Inactive
    (female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

getting my results today. They are supposed to call at 3:30. I know the odds are in my favor but boy these last hours are the worst!

Closed Thread