It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Nipple discharge/sore

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
    RLK77
    (female)

RLK77 HB User
    Nipple discharge/sore

Starting in July I developed severe anxiety that was pretty bad for about 2 months. During a breast exam, a clear discharge came out of my left nipple. The discharge was completely clear and was liquidy (like a tear). A small drop or two continued to come out over the next few weeks only when I squeezed. I made an appointment with my gyno for a complete physical (I was due). She said (as did my other gyno when I was in my teens) that I have fibrocystic breasts- especially in my left breast where the discharge happened. But she took a smear of the discharge, sent me for an ultra sound and took a cbc and tested for my prolactin level (my prolactin level was slightly high the year before). All the test came out fine, no growths, no problems with my ducts or inflamation, prolactin was normal and the sample of the discharge came back fine. The girl doing my ultra sound said she saw a lot of fibrocystic tissue in my breast. My doctor said that it could be stress related and to stop messing with it. I have pretty bad health anxiety and once I believe I have a disease or problem I start to develop symptoms. Which could be why my breasts weren't sore until I saw the discharge. I am still kind of worried about it because it still releases discharge when messed with and since I found the discharge it has been painful off and on. I am 25 years old and have been on birth control for a little over a year. My mother was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer at age 59. She also had discharge (think and yellowish) but her smear came back abnormal. They believe her cancer was related to her being on an estrogen patch for 12 years. My question is do you think the discharge/pain could be related to severe stress from the anxiety, the birth control pill (loestrin 24) or the fibrocystic disease? My insurance isn't too good so I don't want to have more tests if ultra sounds are pretty accurate. Thanks for all your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
    TearZ
    (female)

TearZ HB User
    Re: Nipple discharge/sore

Do you have other symptoms with the discharge? Such as inverted nipple, swelling, redness….?

Hope the tests come back ok! Let us know how you go?!

Hope someone answers you soon……I hate waiting for replies when im stressing out

Old 11-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
    RLK77
    (female)

RLK77 HB User

No other symptoms. At times I think the nipple with the discharge is sometimes a little more swollen.. but it could just be my head playing games because I'll look again 10 minutes later and its fine. I did already have an ultra sound, smear, blood work in the summer and all tests came back good. No masses, blocked ducts, inflammation, etc. I didn't know if I should have anymore tests or if those are pretty much the procedure. Also didn't know if birth control pills, stress, fibrocystic breasts could be doing this to just one breast?

Old 11-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
    TearZ
    (female)

TearZ HB User

I know stress does ALOT of different things to the body but im not to sure to what extent. Maybe you can google symptoms on all the reasons you just suggested and see if any of them match yours?

If the nipple with the discharge isnt scaling,sore, scabby etc then thats a really good sign and the tests coming back positive is even better!

If you dont trust the results they gave you, you can always go back to a diff/or same doc and tell them your still not secure with the results...but you seem to of had a few done and if they are all ok then i would trust that. Its not like it was a hand examination i wouldnt feel happy with their answer if that was the case but you got scans etc done so something would have showed up.....

I felt like i lost 100kgs when i got my results back..and left it as that- but each to their own.

Have you seen a doc about your anxeity?? That plays a massive part on you worrying about this so much.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
    RLK77
    (female)

RLK77 HB User

Thanks for the advice! I'm trying hard not to worry even though the results came back ok. My gyno did tell me that I have a lot of cystic lumps in my left breast(more than my right) and the tech doing the ultrasound said I have a lot too. Could that be the reason for the clear discharge- fibrocystic breast disease?

Old 12-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
    engineer1961
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

Clear discharge is generally not something to worry about too much..so says my doctor ...but dark green , grey or black is not good. I've had clear discharge for many years (15+)and have just started having black (which is old blood).......it's not fun but they said that I don't have cancer ..so I'm happy..good luck.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
    RLK77
    (female)

RLK77 HB User

Glad to hear you're ok. Wondering about the discharge though.... have you had it in only one breast? Or both? And does it occur only when you squeeze? Just seems weird to me that it's happening in only one breast. But the doctor says I have more fibrocystic tissue in that breast so I'm assuming that could be the reason? I should have asked..

Closed Thread