It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Radiation - PLEASE SHARE

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
    Kit50
    (female)

Kit50 HB User
    Radiation - PLEASE SHARE

Could anyone please share with me their radiation treatment experiences? Any details, no matter how small, please please share with me if you are willing.

Does our hair thin.

Do we get nausea.

What does it feel like.

How long is a single "zapping."

Do we feel a burning sensation during the irradiation? I know we feel like we are sunburned afterward but what about during the treatment itself?

Will I do worse than my darker "sisters" out there due to my being so d*** pale?

Sandra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
    shagamuffin
    (female)

shagamuffin HB User
    Wink Re: Radiation - PLEASE SHARE

I had 44 radiation treatments back Feb/Mar 2008. The treatments themselves were painless but because I had 12 lymph nodes removed, it became quite difficult to put my right arm above my head for the actual radiation treatment. My skin began to turn red in my right armpit area (I had a right breast mastectomy and 12 lymph nodes removed in my right armpit) about 2-3 weeks into treatment and about on week 4, the skin actually peeled as if I had been burned in a fire. I don't mean to scare you but that's exactly what it looked and felt like. My doctor told me to use a cream called Silver Sulfadiaziane (SSD) - so we would put the cream on (very delicately), tuck a wash cloth under my armpit (so it wouldn't get on my t-shirt) and then put on my shirt. My armpit "burn" started to subside shortly after the radiation treatments ended. Today - more than 16 months after treatment, I have no side effects or burn scars from radiation. Please do not hesitate if you should have any more questions or if any clarification is needed. Good luck and God Bless. Maureen.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
    shagamuffin
    (female)

shagamuffin HB User
    Re: Radiation - PLEASE SHARE

Hello,
    I noticed that I did not answer any of your questions in my reply...sorry.
    Hair thinning - did not happen to me and I don't remember it being a common side effect.
    Nausea - did not happen to me and again, it is not a common side effect of radiation.
    The treatments themselves did not feel like anything at all - the "zapping" of radiation is where you see green lights around the room, they position you to the enth degree on the table and you're not allowed to move AT ALL once they position you - that's how precise the treatments are.
    The "zapping" takes just a few minutes - placing you on the table and positioning you takes longer than the procedure itself.
    I did not feel any burning sensation at all during the radiation treatment. And no, you will not feel sunburned during the radiation treatment.
    I, unfortunately do not have an answer for your question about doing worse than "darker sisters". Good luck again - Maureen

Old 09-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Sandra

Both my mom and I had radiation .... my mom for breast cancer, me for a sarcoma in the thigh.

On the first visit, they will find your exact position on the table.. just like a table in a doctor's office. On me, they put four little permamnent blue dots to show where the radiation would be hitting. I don't know if they did this on my mom. The first visit is always the longest as they need to determine the position of your body... they will know for all the next visits.

To me, the radiation room always made me feel like I was in the Starship Enterprise... lots of stainless stell and gadgets. Smiles. Once we are set up in position, the radiation is given. You will not feel anything at all. You will only know it is over because they will tell you... only takes a very shrot few minutes. Getting undressed and then dressed again takes the most time.

As the treatment goes on, you may start to feel fatigued. This is normal and will go away in a while after treatments end. Also, as the treatments go on, some have some skin burning to the breast area that is radiated. My mom had very, very little. There are great creams the doctors will give you that help tremendously. If for any resaon you have pain with any burning, the doctors will also provide pain relief meds.

I know it is frightening, Honey. However, I think after your very first visit you will see that it really is not horrific or anything. I have never found any radiation staff to be anything but greatly caring and supportive. One nurse actually used to put my shoes and socks back on me after a treatment. I told her I could do it, but she said that everyone in treatment deserves a bit of pampering. Sweet, huh? That's how all the staff was for both my mom and me and we were in different facilities.

Rest easy about this and be peacful. It is a measure to ensure your health and is a good thing. Keep us posted

Hugs
    reach

Old 09-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
    Kit50
    (female)

Kit50 HB User

Thank you VERY much for all your kind responses. Radiation sounds do-able. I am such a coward. Whey is radiation used vs. chemotherapy and/or vice versa?

Sandra

Old 02-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
    harry327
    (male)

harry327 HB User

Sandra
    Dont worry about it .You will do fine Ihad radition once eight yrs. ago and i am having it again in a couple weeks again.I had no problems at all No hair loss no nausia no sore spots It nent very well .I had twenty one treatnents The only thing i didnt like was going there for twenty one days strait. You will do fine dear. let us know how it went.

Harry

Closed Thread