It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Lesion on Left Breast

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
    Britybrit
    (female)

Britybrit HB User
    Lesion on Left Breast

A little over a month ago I noticed a small light pink bump on the inner side of my left breast. I just figured, ew a pimple. Well within a few days it got a bit larger and a little darker in color, more of a red. It eventually turned into a small circle that resembled ring worm. So I called and made an appointment with my doctor to get it looked at. She immediately told me it was a fungus and told me to use an anti fungal cream.

The anti fungal irritated the lesion worse and it continues to get slightly bigger. I then contacted my doctor again and let her know I was experiencing slight breast pain as well. The lesion itself does not itch, burn, hurt, peel..anything. It's just there. So I saw my doc again and she took a culture to confirm it was an infection instead and prescribed antibiotics. The results came back that the skin was normal. So it's not an infection nor a fungus.

I saw my doctor again today and am waiting to see a dermatologist. I went to get a mammogram today but was told that I am too young to have one and that unless a mass is found or my mother had been diagnosed with breast cancer in the last 30 years I could not have one. I find this absolutely ridiculous. I do have a family history of breast cancer as well as all other sorts of cancer.

I am just concerned, the lesion is still there and my left breast is very tender, painful and sore. I was just curious of anyone had experienced anything close to this and what they found out?

Last edited by Britybrit; 05-06-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
    diane777
    (female)

diane777 HB User
    Re: Lesion on Left Breast

I think it is ridiculous, too, that they won't prescribe a mammogram in this case. Some women never develop lumps (I'm one of them)! There is something you can do without a doctor's prescription because it's safe. But is costs about $200. If they won't do a mammo, you can get thermography done which can detect the heat in your breast. Cancer gives off more heat than healthy breast tissue so it can give them an idea of what is going. Thermography is also excellent as detecting inflammatory breast cancer before it is manifest -- mammo's can't do that. At least that's what I read.

Diane

Last edited by moderator2; 05-10-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: please do not quote when you are the first to reply

Old 05-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
    Britybrit
    (female)

Britybrit HB User

It is completely ridiculous. I just hope the dermatologist can provide some answers. Although it's unlikely to be cancer I'm horrified. Where can you have a thermography done at? Thank you for the comment.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-10-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Please try using the Quick Reply button instead of the Quote Reply button

Old 05-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
    diane777
    (female)

diane777 HB User

Good luck! Let us know its going for you in the meantime.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-10-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
    diane777
    (female)

diane777 HB User

I'm going tomorrow and will let you know what I think of the experience.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-10-2010 at 08:19 PM.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
    Britybrit
    (female)

Britybrit HB User

I saw the dermatologist today. He wasn't able to tell what was going on because the skin came back "normal". He brought in another doctor to examine and they left to talk and he came back in and said he needed to take a biopsy and ordered a mammogram. I told him I tried to last week and they refused but he ensured me they would. Well, the mammogram tech refused again! Right after they took a small chunk of my boob! So tomorrow I am going to a breast clinic to get their opinion i guess to see if they'll do a mammo or at least an ultra sound. A month later and i still no nothing and have nothing but worried thoughts. :/ Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 AM   #7
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User

You had a doctor's order in hand for a mammogram and took it to the radiologist department and they refused to honor the doctor's order? That is not their decision to make. If there is a doctor's order they have to do what it says. Take the order back and give it to them and if they refuse have them call the doctor's office. That will straighten it all out. They cannot refuse to give you the mammogram if you have an order from the doctor.

Last edited by herekittykitty; 05-11-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
    Britybrit
    (female)

Britybrit HB User

I'm not sure if the woman who refused to do the mammogram both times was a tech or radiologist. I was referred to the breast clinic and saw an oncologist and she would not do a mammogram either because she said it wouldn't make any difference, it would be pointless because my breasts are so dense and everything is so tight inside. In regards to an ultra sound she didn't do that either because the area they would want to focus on is where the lesion is located and since the punch biopsy has been performed already it would be hard to get accurate results because it could be results from the biopsy. So basically we are waiting on the biopsy results. The oncologist doesn't seem to think it's cancer related and possibly a skin condition although I saw a dermatologist yesterday and he seems to not know what it is and is concerned for cancer. AHHHH!!!!! It's so frustrating! What is causing the breast pain then? The pain seems to be progressing and it now hurts in my under arm region too sometimes. I just hope to get results soon.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
    ladyabby
    (female)

ladyabby HB Userladyabby HB User

Hi,
    Take the script that the doctor gave you and go to a different radiology facility. No one has the right to refuse to do what your doctor is ordering. I think I would then report them to the Better Business Bureau or the governing board of radiology in your state. Good luck.

Closed Thread