It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Ultrasound tomorrow! Nervous!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
    BabsB8
    (female)

BabsB8 HB User
    Ultrasound tomorrow! Nervous!

Hello! I've posted here before, but without much response. I am 32 and for the past 9 yrs (since I was pregnant with #1) I've had a lump in my right armpit. My OB at the time said it was 'normal' breast tissue. It is very cyclical in nature. It gets sore and swollen when I am on PMS or due to caffeine, and sometimes hurts so much that it is uncomfortable to put my arm completely down at my side. The armpit area is abnormally fatty and puffy, whereas my other armpit looks normal and you can even see my tendon in that arm.

Today I had my yearly GYN visit and finally discussed with my doctor that this lump needs some attention. For the past year I have been frequently awakened at night because my entire arm is painfully numb! And I explained to him how the lump has increased in size, and how the pain and the numbness and the fattiness is very frustrating.

I told him that it would be fine with me to just have it removed, but he informed me that surgery in that area is tricky and can actually cause damage (lymph &/or nerve damage) and that he doesn't recommend surgery if it is just normal tissue. However he scheduled me to have an ultrasound to rule out any abnormalities.

At this point, the knot is still believed to be axillary breast tissue, but the u/s tomorrow will determine if this is something more. Of course I tend to worry about it being cancer. Has anyone else here experienced something similar? Whether it was cancer or just axillary tissue?

Last edited by BabsB8; 10-27-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
    BabsB8
    (female)

BabsB8 HB User
    Re: Ultrasound tomorrow! Nervous!

U/S was today. The tech did the routine of both breasts and also searched around in the lumpy armpit area, but she didn't make a note of anything out of the ordinary there. She only showed me where the 'vessels' (blood vessels) are located that could be having some pressure at night while I sleep, causing the numbness. She did note that I had lots dense fibrous tissue, but then she also went back to my right breast and showed me a dark spot! It was a very symmetrical circle shape that she said was probably a fluid filled cyst. She asked if I had any discharge. I told her about a month or so ago that one of my montgomery glands had been infected, and there was ***** discharge from that gland, but it was not from the nipple itself. I just thought that was probably a normal 'pimple' like occurrence. Waiting to hear back from the doc now which will take several days. Keeping my fingers crossed all is normal!

Last edited by BabsB8; 10-31-2011 at 07:00 AM.

Closed Thread