It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Suspicious breast calcifications

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
    MammaDee
    (female)

MammaDee HB User
    Suspicious breast calcifications

I'd appreciate any insight or experiences anyone has with this......

I had a mammogram, which showed a suspicious area--calcifications. So I went back for another, more detailed diagnostic one. They found punctate, segmented calcifications in the left breast, which they called "suspicious." They recommended surgical excision and surgical biopsy. I'm also wondering why they didn't take their original next step of an ultrasound--it was already ordered. I'm guessing once they saw the segmentation, they saw it as a red flag and went straight to the biopsy?

I can't have a needle biopsy b/c my breasts are too small.....so it has to be surgical....but I'm wondering why they are recommended the excision--taking the whole area out--without knowing if it's benign or malignant.

Is this common? I mean, once they are surgically in there, is it common to go ahead and remove all of the tissue? Or does this point to a more serious situation they are thinking? They gave me a BI-RAD category 4A.

I'm really all for just taking it out, if that's what they want.....

Once they are deemed suspicious, are even benign calcifications more likely to be something worse down the line?

Any experience with this appreciated!

Dee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
    carlads
    (female)

carlads HB User
    Re: Suspicious breast calcifications

I have a similar situation. I have my yearly mammograms. Just scheduled mine about 3 weeks ago for the end of October. In the meantime I found a soft lump in my left breast. Went to the Dr yesterday he tried to aspirate but couldn't get anything. Said he wanted me to see a surgeon, sent me down for a diagnostic mammogram. They told me if they needed to do an ultrasound they could do it that afternoon so I waited and had it done. Before I even had the ultrasound my Dr called and said he got the results from the mammogram and couldn't say for sure if it is cancer. He had already called the surgeon so I made an appt for Monday. The thing that has me scared is the way the techs acted after the mammo was read. This is a long weekend for me I am trying not to panic! Nobody ever told me exactly what the find was. My worry is catching it in time. Hopefully we will both have answers soon. Please let me know your outcome!!

Hugs,
    Carla

Old 10-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
    MammaDee
    (female)

MammaDee HB User

I have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow, too. Please let me know what you find out......I'll post here, too.

Praying for good outcomes for us both. Hugs.

Dee

Old 10-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
    carlads
    (female)

carlads HB User

Dee,

I will be thinking about you and saying many prayers as well.
    I have done so much re-search this weekend my head is spinning.
    I will post as soon as I know more.

Prayers!
    Carla

Old 10-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
    allbutdissertat
    (female)

allbutdissertat HB User

I also had suspicious calcifications in one breast on my yearly mammogram. Further pictures did not satisfy that it was benign. They tried to do the stereotactic biopsy, but the area could not be visualized because it was way off to the side. So I had a surgical biopsy. The ssurgeon actually did a lumpectomy, removing a large enough margin in case it was cancer. Afterwards, I could not hardly tell there was anything taken out. So, know that sometimes for a variety of reasons a surgical biopsy is necessary, and it is a very easy on the patient procedure that gives 100% accurate results of whether the lump is benign or not. I wish the very best for you. Hang in there! BTW, mine was a small cancer and I feel blessed that it was caught early.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
    MammaDee
    (female)

MammaDee HB User

I'm happy to hear yours was caught early. Was it DCIS? That's what they told me was likely, if it is malignant. But the surgeon today seemed to think it was likely benign. So I feel a bit better after talking with her. I don't know how much they're going to take out.....b/c it's segmented, there are no distinct borders.

They got me in tomorrow......and I'm glad it's so soon. Not looking forward to the wire localizatin part.....did you have that? I'd rather just be asleep for the whole dang thing.

Carla, did you find anything out today?

Old 10-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
    carlads
    (female)

carlads HB User

Dee,

My news not so good. He is 50% sure it is cancer. But good news is he is almost certain it is localized. He said no need for an MRI he is going to do a needle core biospy within the week just to be 100%. I actually feel better now that there is a plan!

So glad yours turned out well. I will keep you in my prayers and please keep me updated!

Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 AM   #8
    allbutdissertat
    (female)

allbutdissertat HB User

Mamma Dee: Yes, mine was DCIS. But I was later found to also have small invasive site in right breast also. I had the localization w/wire done on the left side, and aside from one sharp "tweek" there was no pain. I am afraid you've already gone thru this, so sorry to be a little slow in answering. Let us know what happens.

Carlads: I understand what you mean when you say you feel better having an opinion at least. The totally unknown is always the scariest! Let us know what happens in your case as well.

Blessings to both of you!

Old 10-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #9
    MammaDee
    (female)

MammaDee HB User

Actually I haven't done it yet....I couldn't sleep, so I just got up to wait. Thanks for the info. : )

Carla, I'm sorry your progonosis was 50/50. Did they say what type of cancer it usually is, should it come back malignant? And it could still very well be benign, too! I know 50/50 is scary......but the odds could have been worse, too, kwim? Take it one step at a time.

I agree that knowledge is power. I want to know what I'm dealing with, might possibly be dealing with and what the plan is.

The worst thing my surgeon said was it could come back in the middle. Not benign, but not 100 percent sure of malignancy. No thank you to that!

I'll let you guys know how it goes today. For right now, I just wish I could have some coffee and a dounut!

Dee

Old 10-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
    MammaDee
    (female)

MammaDee HB User

Carla,

I wanted to ask you, too.....did they say what type of calcifications you have? If they are clustered (I'm assuming they are or you wouldn't be going for biopsy) or linear, or segmented in distribution? And what shape they are?

I found a lot of info. online, knowing this about mine.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
    carlads
    (female)

carlads HB User

Dee,

Sorry they never really told me calcifications. I was just commenting on the fact the neither of us knew for sure what they were seeing. They haven't told me what exact type of cancer just that they thought it is contained and I have no signs of it spreading anywhere. Still waiting to hear about my biospy. How did it go today? I think I told you they are going to do a needle core biospy. Keep us posted!!

Hugs Prayers,

Carla

Old 10-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
    carlads
    (female)

carlads HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MammaDee View Post
    Actually I haven't done it yet....I couldn't sleep, so I just got up to wait. Thanks for the info. : )

Carla, I'm sorry your progonosis was 50/50. Did they say what type of cancer it usually is, should it come back malignant? And it could still very well be benign, too! I know 50/50 is scary......but the odds could have been worse, too, kwim? Take it one step at a time.

I agree that knowledge is power. I want to know what I'm dealing with, might possibly be dealing with and what the plan is.

The worst thing my surgeon said was it could come back in the middle. Not benign, but not 100 percent sure of malignancy. No thank you to that!

I'll let you guys know how it goes today. For right now, I just wish I could have some coffee and a dounut!

Dee

Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
    carlads
    (female)

carlads HB User

Dee,

We didn't hear from you yesterday. Hope all went well. I am still waiting on a call from my surgeons office to schedule the core biospy. Been thinking about you!

Prayers,
    Carla

Old 10-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
    MammaDee
    (female)

MammaDee HB User

Oh, I am sorry....I thought I posted here. I blame the drugs. ; )

The surgery went well. I am feeling ok......a little rough, but not bad. They told me I should have the results Friday. Hoping that is so and I don't have to wait for the weekend.

Let us know when you get a biopsy date.

Keeping you all in prayer.

Dee

The following user gives a hug of support to MammaDee:
    carlads (10-24-2012)
    Old 10-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
    carlads
    (female)

carlads HB User

Good I am glad you are doing well, keep us informed and if I don't get a date today I will call tomorrow...
    Take it easy and rest.

Prayers,

Carla

Closed Thread