HealthBoards (
-   Cancer: Breast (
-   -   Needle Biopsy or Wait 6 Months? (

chippiebing 11-06-2012 01:14 PM

Needle Biopsy or Wait 6 Months?

I am hoping for advice from others that have had a similar situation. I am 36 and starting having regular mammograms last year (I had a baseline when I was 30). My mother was diagnosed at age 45 (and probably had the tumor for a number of years). My doctor said I should starting getting regular mammograms when I was 10 years younger than that. This year I had a call back and they did extra mammograms and an ultrasound. They found a "cluster of cysts" and gave me the option to get a needle biopsy or wait 6 months for another mammogram and look for changes. The radiologist said she wasn't too concerned because breast cancer is such a slow growing cancer for most people (not too sure about that one). Anyway, since I am an obsessive worrier, I scheduled the biopsy for this Thursday. Should I reconsider this? I still have to meet my deductible and insurance is estimating out of pocket costs around $1,700. I don't feel good about either option at this point.

Thanks for any advice!

slenderella 11-06-2012 05:03 PM

Re: Needle Biopsy or Wait 6 Months?
I know that the economic price is steep, but this is your LIFE we're talking about!
If I were you I would have the biopsy done. That way you can enjoy the upcoming holidays knowing you are perfectly fine, instead of wondering, each and every day.

mmisty 11-06-2012 05:46 PM

Re: Needle Biopsy or Wait 6 Months?
I recommend that you do the biopsy. I had a needle biopsy with negative results. Why worry for 6 months?

ddeb1 01-18-2013 01:20 PM

Re: Needle Biopsy or Wait 6 Months?
I just had a stereotactic core needle biopsy on a cluster of microcalcifications noted from my mammo this past December. These had been there about 5 years but because they were now clustered, they recommended biopsy.

I was very scared and nervous and had a horrible experience with the procedure itself. If you can, ask for a sedative.

I too questioned whether I should have done now or wait 6 months, since they had been there for 5 years. My results came back B9.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:56 PM.