It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• 38 year old thyroid cancer survivor; but have a question on breast cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
    Phoenix415
    (female)

Phoenix415 HB User
    38 year old thyroid cancer survivor; but have a question on breast cancer

Hello, I am a 38 year old female and a 16 year survivor of thyroid cancer, I was diagnosed and treated for it in 1997. I have never had a recurrence of my cancer, and I have been on a synthroid regimen since 1997. Regarding all of the advertisements I see about getting tested for breast cancer, I have a few questions.

Now, I have never had breast cancer. Breast cancer is not in my family's history (that I know of...I am adopted; however, to my knowledge, breast cancer was not in my birth family's medical history, nor is it in my adoptive family's history). I have never had any risk factors for breast cancer. I had regular gynecological checkups with my doctor until about three years ago when my insurance ran out. I have not had a checkup in 2-3 years due to not having insurance and my employers did not offer insurance. I have done self exams on my breasts and never felt any lumps. All of my life, I have been told that it was something that I really didn't need to worry about until I reached my 40s and did not need mammograms until I was 40. I will turn 39 years old April of 2014.

Now, this just may be my fears playing into all of the breast cancer awareness month advertisements that I see on tv, but I was wondering that given my past cancer history and health problems and being hypothyroid; SHOULD I go ahead and start having mammograms now and getting tested now or just wait until after I turn 40??? Like I said, it just may be my fears playing into everything, however, I just want to be sure.

I appreciate any advice that you all can give me. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
    noelle840
    (female)

noelle840 HB User
    Re: 38 year old thyroid cancer survivor; but have a question on breast cancer

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2006 with no family history of breast cancer. Although I have relatives on both sides who have had cancer. The fact that you have had cancer prior is a good reason to have a mammo before you turn 40.

<edited by administrator>

Closed Thread