It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Breast Cancer or Benign Scare?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
    Tara Rain
    (female)

Tara Rain HB User
    Question Breast Cancer or Benign Scare?????

This is my first time posting and I'm probably worried for nothing but I would like some reassurance if I am not alone. I have a couple questions if anyone can answer any of them it would help! thank you!!!!

#1. I am a 38 year old woman with a small family history of breast and ovarian cancer. I also have Heterogeneously dense breasts. I had a small fibradenoma last year that was categorized as Bi-rads 3. we did nothing but watched. I had another mamo and U/S last week that showed it has gotten smaller and is no longer a threat. There was, however a new, hypoechoic, noncystic, well defined nodule 1cm from the last one that they categorized as bi-rads 4. Review of the prior images suggested a possible nodule in this location. I assume they think this is also a fibradenoma but they suggested a biopsy.
    I went for an ultrasound guided breast biopsy today. The nurse did a ultrasound on my breast before the biopsy and then my armpit. She took lots of pics of my armpit. The Dr said that she wanted to do a biopsy as well on what she said was an "enlarged axillary lymph node." After the biopsies, the Dr says that she doesn't believe either are anything serious to worry about but if so... then why do the extra biopsy? Anyone have a possible fibroadenoma turn out to be cancer??

#2. are all oval, well defined masses benign? Can fibroadenomas grow in the lymph nodes?
    any answers are APPRECIATED!!!
    thank you Tara Rain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
    ladyabby
    (female)

ladyabby HB Userladyabby HB User
    Re: Breast Cancer or Benign Scare?????

Hi Tara,
    From what I've been told and read, any description stating round, oval, smooth leans towards benign findings. I was recently diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma, stage one. Very close to that mass was a complex firbroadenoma. Pathology on that showed lobular carcinoma insitu which is not a true cancer but a high risk marker...meaning that it could at some point change. Keeping on top of your breast health is very stressful but it is doable. As far as the dr. wanting to do a biopsy on the enlarged axillary node, I think it's a good thing that she did. Show's that she/he is very thorough when dealing with the unknown. It gives me great peace to know that so much is available with testing, diagnostic and treatment options. Remember that 80% of "suspicious" findings turn out to be benign. Let us know when you get the results.

Closed Thread

Tags
    breast cancer, fibroadenoma, ultrasound