It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board

• Abnormal test results ... advice please on CT vs PET scan

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2015, 06:34 AM   #1
    jacqsmith1010
    (female)

jacqsmith1010 HB User
    Abnormal test results ... advice please on CT vs PET scan

My mom who is 76 has had a history of cancer of her right breast and a mastectomy done about 5 years ago. During her routine check up scans on 1/16, they've found some abnormalities as followed:

Chest Xray shows:

Cavitating lung lesion in left lower zone measuring 2.5cm x 4.5 cm, which was not seen on CXR from Oct 2013.

No Mediastinal and hilar mass is seen.

No focal rib lesion seen.

Ultrasound of Hepatobiliary System shows:

New, solitary, hyperechoic lesion in segment VI of the liver, measuring at 1.87cm x 1.27cm x 2.17cm. Border of this lesion appears irregular. No other focal lesion is seen. In view of the clinical history, metastasis has to be considered.

A heterogenous lesion is noted in the gallbladder wall near the fundus. It does not move with positioning. There is no interval increase in size (compared to US done in Oct 2013), measuring at 1.26cm x 0.95cm x 1.15cm. This can be due to focal adenomyomatosis. However, gallbladder tumor cannot be excluded.

Above reports seem worrisome, correct? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. My mom was given 2 options, to either do CT of chest and abd, or to proceed with a PET scan.

She has to pay for these tests out of pocket, and CT vs PET scan is approx. a $700 difference. She's in a dilemma as to which would be the best way to proceed, in addition to being very scared and worried.....

I was thinking if she had the CT scan done and they indeed found metastasis, would she need to have a PET scan done for staging as next step? I'm inclining to have her bite the bullet and just go right ahead to have the PET scan.

What would you all recommend in light of this situation?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jacqsmith1010; 01-21-2015 at 06:36 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to jacqsmith1010:
    bubblegirl (02-12-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2015, 04:25 AM   #2
    bubblegirl
    Veteran
    (female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
    Re: Abnormal test results...advice please on CT vs PET scan

My sister recently had a full CAT scan after experiencing back pain. Sadly it showed mets in the bones & lungs. She is now having treatment without more testing needed. Hope this helps! :-) Best of luck to your Mum!

Closed Thread