It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

Atypical Glandular Cells - Biopsy Results

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
akoszy
(female)

akoszy HB User
Atypical Glandular Cells - Biopsy Results

Hello All!

This board has been a blessing for me, a lurker; while dealing with the waiting game with results.

Background:

CIN 3 in 2007- I was pregnant at the time, and after I delivered my paps came back negative.

2011- Cervix at 6 o'clock, biopsy:
- Severe squamous dysplasia (CIN-3) with human
papillomavirus cytopathic effect and
endocervical glandular involvement. Had a leep- clear margins at the end of 2011

2013 clean Pap, told to come back in 15.

This month- found AGC, so we did a coploscopy a biopsy. I just got the results. It states: A. Endometrial biopsy:
- Fragments of proliferative endometrium.
- Negative for atypical hyperplasia and malignancy.

B. Endocervical curettage:
- Superficial fragments of endocervical mucosa with focal squamous metaplasia
and focal microglandular hyperplasia.

My doc just says to come back in a year for another pap. I feel that since I have a High Risk HPV, and every 4 years Im at level CIN3- Its time to get a hysterectomy. My doctor is ABSOLUTELY against it. He was against me getting my tubes tied (so DH had his done). I have repeated Ovarian Cysts (two have had to be surgically removed for being 5cm+) He is very anti hysterectomies...

Im also concerned that AGC- it had to come from somewhere. From what I have read, the few people that get the all clear- have to get a second opinion because false negatives are a problem.

I just feel lost and confused. Do I want a hysterectomy? Of course not- but as a DES kid and watching someone I love have cancer come back 5 times because their dr wanted the "least invasive" method-- I do not want that to be me.

Thank you for all your help ladies!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2015, 08:07 AM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: Atypical Glandular Cells - Biopsy Results

I am sorry you are going through this. Is your doctor a regular gynecologist or a gyn oncologist? Hysterectomy is one of the top overused surgeries (after c-section) so, in my opinion, it is refreshing to hear of a gyn who does not fit into that mold. But, by all means, if you are not comfortable with his recommendation and he is not an oncologist, it would be wise to get a second opinion from a reputable gyn oncologist.

What were you told about AGC and the biopsy results? Of course, the lining is proliferative in the first half of the menstrual cycle but don't know if that is when the biopsy was done. If you are in perimenopause, the lining can be thicker than normal but typically ends up shedding before anything sinister happens. And of course there are always hormone medications to thin it out if that is a concern. Glad to hear there is no atypia or malignancy. Would a D&C with another biopsy give you more peace of mind? Of course, you still have the cervical issues but maybe it's isolated to that.

My mother also took DES but I did not seem to have any negative effects from it (aside from secondary infertility). I had a hysterectomy but in my case it was unwarranted and I was not given adequate information.

Best of luck to you in getting more information and deciding how to proceed!

Closed Thread