It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

Post menopausal bleeding

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
Kat2u
(female)

Kat2u HB User
Post menopausal bleeding

I am so afraid. I am 58 have not had my cycle in maybe 5 years. 2 days ago I had some dark brown show in my underwear. I freaked out made appointment. They did a pelvic and said my uterus is slightly enlarged. But blood looks like old blood. Couldn't see anything. Waiting for a referral for ultrasound and biopsy of uterus. This time waiting is making me so emotional and frightened.
There is no family history of female type cancers. But there is a fibroid history. I'm looking for help getting thru this next week or two till I know what I'm dealing with. Anyone have similar experience ??

Last edited by Kat2u; 02-19-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
rainbowsrock
Senior Veteran
(female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User
Re: Post menopausal bleeding

Hi, yes, I had bleeding 4 years after my last period
My Doctor sent me for a Hysteroscopy (camera investigation) which revealed a polyp and thick lining to the womb
I had surgery to remove the polyp and lining. Both were tested. Tests came back negative. No further problems.

On the other hand, my daughter who was then 37 had a Hysteroscopy at the same time as me, for irregular heavy periods. She also had a polyp and thick lining. Her post surgery tests revealed pre cancerous cells in the lining. She ended up choosing to have a full Hysterectomy

Try not to worry until you know what you're dealing with

Old 02-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
stellaalex
(female)

stellaalex HB User

My mom has on and off postmeno bleeding and it's because of atrophy. The way the doctor explained it is that after periods stop, the vagina loses some of its elasticity and the skin surface becomes very thin and can bleed very easily. She uses a topical estrogen cream and it helps but still bleeds often. She also had a biopsy etc etc but the doctor did say most women that have postmeno bleeding is for that reason. Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by stellaalex; 02-20-2016 at 10:06 AM.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
Froodie
(female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User

Any woman who has post-menopausal bleeding should be thoroughly investigated. I was told mine was vaginal atrophy but it wasn't that, it was ovarian cancer. This was only found after I eventually got referred for tests. I had an ultrasound and they found a tumour. I had it removed together with a full hysterectomy, which saved my life. This was two years ago and I doing just fine.

Make sure you get properly checked if you have post-menopausal bleeding.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:10 PM   #5
Kat2u
(female)

Kat2u HB User

Thank you so very much for your replies. I know it will be awhile before I know what exactly is going on. Until then I'm going to take care of me. And when I get too overwhelmed by the unknown, I'll try to distract myself.
I know that the odds are in my favor. It's just difficult not knowing. I just keep telling myself that if it is the worst case scenario the odds are still in my favor.
I have regular paps and such. And this is the very first sign I have had that there is anything amiss. So I'm doing my best to be proactive. It's everything I can do.
I so appreciate any I put. Thank you again!

Old 02-25-2016, 07:04 PM   #6
Kat2u
(female)

Kat2u HB User

Freaking again. Ultrasound showed a large complex cyst on my ovary. I'm am feeling like things are going down hill. HELP!

Old 02-26-2016, 06:28 AM   #7
Froodie
(female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User

It's a very scary time for you but you will get through it. My cyst was cancer but here I am, fit and well.

What are they planning to do for you?

There is a good possibility that your cyst is benign, so don't think you've got cancer until they actually tell you that's what it is.

Having said that, make sure you see a cancer doctor in case it is cancer. This is really important, as a gynaecologist might want to operate but it should be a cancer doctor. You should also have open surgery rather than keyhole.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #8
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

As you said, the odds are in your favor! Most ovarian cysts, even in post-menopausal women, are benign. And most cases of post-meno bleeding are benign. But of course, it all needs to be investigated to rule out anything "sinister." It is always good to catch anything abnormal early when conservative / less drastic treatments tend to be effective.

I was over-treated for a 9.5cm complex cyst and wish I had known as much as I do now. I would have done things very differently.

Keep us posted on what you find out. Hoping it is nothing serious.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #9
nikschick
(female)

nikschick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLouisgal View Post
As you said, the odds are in your favor! Most ovarian cysts, even in post-menopausal women, are benign. And most cases of post-meno bleeding are benign. But of course, it all needs to be investigated to rule out anything "sinister." It is always good to catch anything abnormal early when conservative / less drastic treatments tend to be effective.

I was over-treated for a 9.5cm complex cyst and wish I had known as much as I do now. I would have done things very differently.

Keep us posted on what you find out. Hoping it is nothing serious.

What do you mean you were over treated?

Old 03-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #10
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikschick View Post
What do you mean you were over treated?
Both ovaries, tubes, and my uterus were removed when all that should have been removed was the benign cyst. Studies show that removal of ovaries for benign conditions causes more harm than good. The uterus also has life long non-reproductive functions which became apparent very quickly post-op.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:40 AM   #11
Froodie
(female)

I had everything removed and I'm perfectly well, with absolutely no ill effects from the surgery. It's really important, in my opinion, to listen to your doctor's advice. Their practice is evidence based and is far more reliable than anything posted on here.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:43 AM   #12
rainbowsrock
Senior Veteran
(female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

My 37 year old daughter had her womb, ovaries and tubes removed. She changed her HRT tablet once due to continuing hot sweats. But with the right tablets and careful attention to nutrition she feels confident she made the right decision
She had CIN3 of the cervix at 18 when pregnant with her first child. This was treated after the birth and she went on to have 2 more children. So the discovery of pre cancerous cells in the womb lining meant she wasn't prepared to risk it turning up elsewhere in her reproductive system

Each case is different, just wanted to say complete hysterectomy needn't be something to fear, it can be a reason not to live in fear

The Following User Says Thank You to rainbowsrock For This Useful Post:
Froodie (03-05-2016)
Closed Thread