It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

I don't want to do a LEEP...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #1
SuperScared
(female)

SuperScared HB User
I don't want to do a LEEP...

I'm scared-- l just got my test results back and tested positive for CIN 1.(hpv1?) and a "maybe" CIN 2 (hpv 2?).

My doctor wants to do a keep procedure anyway, but I can't-- not for a maybe.

I can't get over the fact that they are going to take a part of me. It feels to me like mutilation. I'm so scared I might see the difference or my boyfriend feel it. My doctor keeps stressing he won't, but I've seen pictures... He has too!! And even not I can see the difference!!!

What happens if I wait for more cells to show up? Is it really that bad? It's a maybe on the CIN2...not a positive

Last edited by SuperScared; 08-17-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2016, 07:46 AM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: I don't want to do a LEEP...

I would be hesitant too. I don't understand why it would be "maybe" you have CIN2. That would definitely make me suspicious. But then I've been over-treated so if anything seems amiss, I'm suspicious and go into Google mode!

I've learned WAY more than I ever cared to know about gynecology problems since my "event" 10 years ago. I read that LEEP's are the standard for high grade dysplasia (CIN3) but are overused because they are quite a bit more profitable than the less invasive cryosurgery. And as you already know, over-treatment can do more harm than good. For one, LEEP can impair fertility and cause incompetent cervix, a cause of pre-term labor. Cryosurgery does less damage / removes less tissue yet a study I read awhile back shows that it is a close match to LEEP in effectiveness.

Have you kept up with pap tests and all has been normal until now? Do you have one of the high risk HPV types? I've read that two of the high risk types (16 and 18) cause most cervical cancers. Have you seen the pathology report? Other opinions, both gyn and pathologist, may be warranted. Monitoring may be an option for now, new doctor or not, since all cases of dysplasia don't require treatment.

Please keep us posted.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #3
rosequartz
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

don't get the leep.....find a doctor that will use cryotherapy

Old 08-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #4
SuperScared
(female)

SuperScared HB User

I got vaccinated in 08 with gardisil which protects against hpv 6,11,16 and 18.
But, what is Cryotherapy?

My doctor reassured me that the LEEP would not interfere with future pregnancy or fertility. That was, in the past, the misconception. A cone LEEP would, but not the most current type. But, it still seems super invasive. :/ I don't understand how I got a maybe result anyways. I asked my doctor when I got the call about the news a few weeks ago and I remember her saying " most likely it is low grade, but the labs were just making sure, hence why it's taking so long to get the test results back." But then I still get a maybe for CIN 2...

I'm afraid on seeing another doctor. I don't want to do a colpo again since I've heard that they can be harmful as well, if performed too often. And mine was painful. people say it isn't, but mine was!

Anyway, please let me know about a cryotherapy . Is it less invasive?

The following user gives a hug of support to SuperScared:
rosequartz (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
rosequartz
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

cryotherapy, sometimes called cryo-surgery is done in the drs office, they freeze off the surface cells of your cervix and the abnormal areas "sluff off" over the next few days. It's safer and less invasive than the leep and it doesn't hurt at all!

Old 08-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #6
SuperScared
(female)

SuperScared HB User

Btw, does the CIN 2 leave visable lesions to the cervix? Would the doctor been able to see that?
B/c my doctor only saw two abnormal cells... And she said she found only small two ones...is my doctor not being honest with me :/

PS -- I am awaiting to hear from my doctor to see if I can cancel my leep procedure and just wait to see when I get another pap from now says. Please pray for me and/or wish me luck!

Last edited by mod85; 08-19-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
rosequartz
Senior Veteran
(female)

why not just ask the doctor about cryotherapy

Old 08-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
SuperScared
(female)

SuperScared HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
why not just ask the doctor about cryotherapy
For three days-- I can't even get in touch with my doctor ...lol Her doctor office has a voicemail answering system, and it's not her direct voicemail :/ it's a one nurses take

Old 08-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
SuperScared
(female)

SuperScared HB User

Update: just got off the phone with my doctor...

She said that the pathologist who looked at colpo sample did in fact saw some CIN 2. ( I'm still confused to know weather I'm using the right termology or not)

So I have to do the LEEP. But she is only taking .5 cm. which to me is still a huge chunk. And to make things worst she said that they don't know weather that'll be the last of it. I have to wait 6 months till my next pap!!!

I feel super depressed. I feel like I'm losing apart my sexuality. Part of what makes me a woman. Like sex will never be the same. They said that guys won't feel the difference... Is that true? I don't think I believe a thing my doctor says any more...

Even if my boyfriend doesn't, I think I might. If not physically, mentally , perhaps both.
I don't see the point in doing this if they have to keep doing it! I can't see how some think this isn't a big deal...

Last edited by Administrator; 08-19-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #10
rosequartz
Senior Veteran
(female)

you don't have to have the leep....you are in control of your own body. Get a 2nd opinion!

Old 08-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #11
SuperScared
(female)

SuperScared HB User

Quote:
you don't have to have the leep....you are in control of your own body. Get a 2nd opinion!
But if it spreads... It might be worst if I wait. I don't want them taking more out of me!!!!

Old 08-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #12
rosequartz
Senior Veteran
(female)

trust me.....get a 2nd opinion and ask specifically about cryotherapy
I had CIN III over 30 years ago and the first dr wanted to do a cone biopsy with no guarantee that she might take everything out......my mom convinced me to seek a 2nd opinion and it was the best thing I ever did......please....you won't regret it

Old 08-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #13
SuperScared
(female)

SuperScared HB User

Quote:
trust me.....get a 2nd opinion and ask specifically about cryotherapy
I had CIN III over 30 years ago and the first dr wanted to do a cone biopsy with no guarantee that she might take everything out......my mom convinced me to seek a 2nd opinion and it was the best thing I ever did......please....you won't regret it
I don't think I will find one in enough time. I'm in a small city where I don't think there are a lot of options. I wish I had more, I'm scared. Should I look for another gynecologist? And I researched a bit about cryotherapy-- they freeze it. But I don't think they can do a bio on that tissue since it's frozen.

And do they take less than . 5 cm when they do cryotherapy? How much tissue do they take?

Btw, I want to thank you. I've noticed that you been answering and listening to me. It's very supportive. Thank you.

Last edited by SuperScared; 08-19-2016 at 02:58 PM.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #14
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Don't let fear take over. It can make for bad decisions and regret. This is not an urgent situation. Sometimes a second opinion(s) is a good idea.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #15
SuperScared
(female)

SuperScared HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLouisgal View Post
Don't let fear take over. It can make for bad decisions and regret. This is not an urgent situation. Sometimes a second opinion(s) is a good idea.
Thank you. My parents are trying to set me up with another doctor to get a second opinion. I'm sure that doctor will suggest the same thing. Thank you though to you and rose quartz for taking time to offer your support and suggestions. It really does help me. I don't have many people personally I can turn to, so I'm so great full there are kind people like you two out there.

Closed Thread