It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Any info will help please, I'm desperate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2016, 04:21 AM   #1
    Tylerr
    (male)

Tylerr HB User
    Any info will help please, I'm desperate

Hello, my name is Tyler.All I'm telling you know is 100 % true, please understand my situation, I really am desperate.

I have a friend, I will call her Annie to protect her identity.Annie is from Philippines, I am from Europe, we met on social media 3 months ago and we became really good friends, really fast.I can actually call her my best friend right now.

Annie told me she was diagnosied with Cervical Cancer 2 months ago, but she only told me about 2 weeks ago.I don't know too much details and I'm sorry for that, I will just share here everything I know from her.

2 months ago she went to a doctor, the doctor told her she has a tumour which wasn't visible at that time but it was there, the doctor told her she needs to get 3 shots as treatment(I suppose vaccine ?).She refused because she didn't have money.Annie lives in a poor family and she is also so stubborn that she doesn't want anyone's else help.

Since she told me I kept bugging her to go to the doc again, she went yesterday, the doctor told her that the cancer didn't spread yet but she needs to take those shots AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.And possibly a surgery too to remove the cancer.

Can anybody tell me what does this mean ? I swear I don't know anymore details because Annie doesn't want to scare me even more, and she is difficult to talk with about this subject.

Can anybody assume how bad is it and if the shots that she needs will help ? Are those shots to prevent the cancer ? I mean, if those are vaccine then they should prevent right, but if the cancer is already there how they are going to help ? Do you think those shots are actually chemo ?

I don't know how much any of the info I gave you will help, I really am desperate and I can't afford to lose Annie.

Any piece of info will really help me right now, thank you.I posted this on other forums too in case you find my post.

Last edited by mod85; 09-23-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Any info will help please, I'm desperate

I'm not aware of shots for cervical cancer. You mentioned it could be a vaccine. If you're referring to the HPV vaccine (known as Gardasil in the U.S.) that is not a cure for cancer. It is supposed to prevent the types of HPV that are most likely to cause cervical cancer. But the vaccine can cause some permanent negative effects; however, I don't know the percentage of girls or women who experience that. She should do her own research and possibly seek out another doctor for a second opinion.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
    Tylerr
    (male)

Tylerr HB User

Yes, I know I gave you only vague information but this is all I could get out of her.I tried to talk with her again and told her what you told me, that those shots are to prevent cancer not to cure it and she told me that her doctor told her that "yes, they may not be that effective".And apparently the doctor told her to get a surgery to remove the cancer.That's what she told me, "the cancer", so I suppose it must be a tumor right ?

I need you to understand that my intention is not to mislead you into anything, I'm just trying to share everything I know, even if it is so little.Given the fact that she requires surgery already, how bad do you think the cancer is right now ? Does she have more time ? She is really refusing to do anything.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Your first message said she was told "And possibly a surgery too to remove the cancer." Maybe she's skeptical of what's being recommended? I don't know what to think.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:17 AM   #5
    Tylerr
    (male)

Tylerr HB User

Ok, I managed to have a proper talk with her and I have more info.I'm sorry if this contradicts with everything I said so far because I think it does, but this is what she told me.

2 months ago she actually took a pap test, and the doctor found a lump which he said is infected with HPV.It was not cancer and it was not cancerous either, YET, so that is why the doctor recommended her to take the shots against HPV virus.

Now she went and took another pap test, she will have the results on the 3rd of October, so that lump can still be infected but not cancerous yet right ? Or it might have gotten cancerous by now.This is why the doctor also mentioned about surgery, to remove the lump before it gets cancerous.

Does this now make more sense than before ? Sorry if not, I will mention again that I have no medical knowledge.

What do you recommend me to do now ? Wait for the results on the 3rd of October ?

Also she mentioned that she doesn't know how she got the virus since she always used condom, any explanation for that ?

And one more thing, she told me that she has regular head aches, almost every day, could they be in any way related to her condition ?

Thank you and I hope this helps you more than it did before.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:28 AM   #6
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

There are many types / strains of HPV. HPV is common and most HPV infections are transient / go away over time. I've read that there are two types that cause most cases of cervical cancer. She may want to find out which type she has and read up on it. If her "lump" is indeed shown to contain abnormal cells then treatment typically depends on the severity which in the U.S. has three grades / levels. Low grade ones are usually monitored to see if they go away on their own. Moderate and severe lumps are frozen or cut off and paps are then done more frequently.

Many lumps (anywhere on the body) are not cancerous and won't become cancerous. For example, I tend to develop cysts. I had an ovarian cyst which was benign / non-cancerous. I also have / or had (not sure it's still there) a cyst in my vaginal canal which the doctor wasn't concerned about... said it only needed to be removed if it bothered me. I have cysts on my kidneys and liver and no one is concerned about them. One on my arm was removed and came back.

I don't really have much else to offer except I hope all turns out ok for her.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:50 AM   #7
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I concur with the other responses. I also want to add that most people do not realize that the HPV infection can be passed from an infected mother to child during birth. And then it probably would not be detected until the child begins getting Pap smears or could continue being dormant for some time. That being said, it sounds like she needs to follow her doctor's recommendations.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:45 AM   #8
    Tylerr
    (male)

Tylerr HB User

I understand, if I can get a copy of that pap test and show it to you will it help ? Will you be able to have a proper insight of what's happening ?

And what about the head aches, can they be in any way related to the cancer ?

Thank you so much.

Closed Thread