It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

Complex Ovarian Cyst, teratoma

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
mrsmister1994
(female)

mrsmister1994 HB User
Complex Ovarian Cyst, teratoma

So I go to my ob/gyn with a complaint of heavy period with blood clots, she sends me for a Ultrasound of the Uterus and ovaries. Well, my US showed that I have a 4.7x4.5x6.1 cm complex cystic mass on my left ovary. So when she calls me to inform me of this, she also recommends having a hysterectomy at the time my ovary is removed. She plans on leaving my rt ovary intact. the dr's nurse called it a teratoma and said it had teeth and such and it needed to be removed. Im like OMG.......teeth. She said the hysterectomy was needed because of my heavy periods and we had mentioned doing an ablation at the time of visit but since I needed to have the ovary out, just do a hysterectomy at the same time so it could be done transvaginally. I also have anxiety that is well controlled on medications. I do have a copy of my US and other than the lt ovarian teratoma, the rest of the US was fine. So, which brings me to my questions....

I love the thought of not having a period, but I do not want to go into surgically induced menopause nor have my hormones go wonko. They went wonko when I had my babies and that's a road I NEVER want to go down again. The panic attacks was HORRIBLE and I felt horrible for asking for help.

I also have fear of general anesthesia.....although its perfectly safe. I fear the pain afterwards, I pain being a total pain in the rump, I fear so much stuff.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2017, 05:10 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Complex Ovarian Cyst, teratoma

OMG! You complain of severe periods and they want to do a hysterectomy? RUN as fast as you can from this doctor. That is no reason to do this. It may be that you need to lose that one ovary, but not your uterus too. Find a surgeon who is experienced in removing cysts and leaving the ovary in tact if at all possible.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
sweetpotato13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

I couldn't agree more.I actually had a teratoma as well (when I was 20) but I just had it removed. Many years down the road (at 47) I did have a hysterectomy with an ovary removal, but that had NOTHING to do with the teratoma. Get yourself another opinion.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I agree; this is overkill! But hysterectomy is one of the most overused surgeries so it's not surprising. All you should need to lose is the teratoma / dermoid cyst if you have a surgeon with good cystectomy skills.

The removal of the uterus and/or one ovary can permanently impair ovarian hormone production. We need our ovaries' hormones our whole life for good health. Despite hysterectomy being so common, it has a number of other negative effects... certainly not something to be taken lightly. I can speak from experience and wish that were not the case!

Best of luck to you in getting proper / restorative treatment.

Reply Reply