It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

Hysterectomy LGSIL anybody?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #1
Tanr86
(female)

Tanr86 HB User
Hysterectomy LGSIL anybody?

Has anyone had LGSIL and high risk HPV and decided to have a hysterectomy?

Background: My primary doctor told me I only needed anpap every 3 year years so I hadn't been. My gynecologist was mad at my doctor and said that I needed to come in yearly and that right now the general practitioners and gynecologist are st war over this issue. Well I started having issues and wrote it off as my IUD but last month I had a gut feeling that something was wrong so I called and made an appointment. Well last week my gynecologist called and told me that my pap was abnormal (LGSIL). She said given my symptoms and the fact that I have not had a pap in three years she wants to do a biopsy. She wanted to wait six weeks as I just had a bladder sling put in last week but I'm calling her Monday and telling her that that is not acceptable. I can't sit here for six weeks worrying and wondering. I have not received my HPV results yet but I suspect I will be able to get them Monday or Tuesday but if my gut is right which I have found it usually is I will test positive and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it's high risk. Now I am 31 years old and I have two beautiful children one which has recently been diagnosed with high functioning autism and he is amazing but he is like having two kids. So what I'm saying is I am done having kids. I couldn't handle another. So given my family histoy with cancers I just feel like if I test positive for high risk HPV I should just have a hysterectomy. My dad had lymphoma (he survived thank God), my sister has had pre cancerous cells on her cervix removed, my grandmother died of liver/colon cancer and my grandfather died in his 40s of a brain tumor. So I do not want to mess around with stuff.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: Hysterectomy LGSIL anybody?

I'm sorry this abnormal pap has you so concerned. It may ease your mind a bit to know that low grade dysplasia oftentimes resolves on its own. HPV is so common and comes and goes and most types do not cause cervical cancer. I read that the reason pap smear guidelines changed from every year to every 3 years was because women were being treated when many cases would not have needed any treatment. Plus cervical cancer usually takes many years to develop from abnormal cells.

I don't think there's any link between the various cancers your family members had and cervical cancer.

Although hysterectomy is a common surgery, it has a number of negative effects since the uterus has lifelong functions. I had one 11 years ago and regret it every day. If you're seriously considering having one, make sure you understand the repercussions since there's no going back. Good luck to you!

Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
LG123
(female)

LG123 HB User
Re: Hysterectomy LGSIL anybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLouisgal View Post
Although hysterectomy is a common surgery, it has a number of negative effects since the uterus has lifelong functions. I had one 11 years ago and regret it every day. If you're seriously considering having one, make sure you understand the repercussions since there's no going back. Good luck to you!
STLousgal, could you share why you regret your hysterectomy?

Reply Reply