It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

Opinions on my ultrasound - complex cyst

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
andia
(female)

andia HB User
Opinions on my ultrasound - complex cyst

Hi,

I finally obtained a copy of my ultrasound as I wanted to see for myself what it said. Can anyone give me their thoughts on it as it's very vague.

Findings:
The uterus is bulky and heterogeneous in appearance measuring 9.5cm. The endometrium is within normal limits at 9mm.

The right ovary contains a simple cyst 1.7cm in diameter

The left ovary contains two cysts measuring 3.7 and 2.1 cm in diameter. The latter cyst is mildly complex and there appears to be an internal separation present. Consider a follow up in 3-4 cycles time to ensure resolution of the latter finding.

The remainder of the study is unremarkable.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds like the right approach waiting 3-4 cycles? My Dr didn't seem to be worried, but I am very worried waiting so long. I feel pain on my left side (bearable, but noticeable). I also have a hydrosalpinx tube on that side as my tube is fluid filled and has adhesions. I wonder if they maybe looking at my tube as I didn't mention the hydrosalpinx when I went to the ultrasound. I imagine they would've mentioned it in the report if they saw it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: Opinions on my ultrasound - complex cyst

Most cysts usually do resolve on their own in 3 cycles or thereabouts so your doctor's recommendation sounds completely reasonable. I have read that a hydrosalpinx can be mistaken for an ovarian cyst so that could be the case for yours. But even if that is not the case, these cysts are small and have a very good chance of resolving on their own. So try not to worry and keep us posted.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
andia
(female)

andia HB User

Thank you again, I am trying so hard not to worry. Waiting this long is so hard. Especially since my periods are so irregular now since having the cyst. The pain is more noticeable and that worries me as well. I have 2 young kids and I am 46 so I am extremely anxious. I appreciate your reassurance.

I wanted to add that in my report it is meant to say "there appears to be a septation" not a separation. I do wonder if all the scarring and hydrosalpinx could have anything to do with my cyst.

The following user gives a hug of support to andia:
Froodie (02-26-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 09:49 PM   #4
andia
(female)

andia HB User

Hi,

I had my 3 month follow up u/s on my 2 cysts on my left ovary. I am really worried now as they have changed.

The left ovary 3 months ago had a 3.7cm simple cyst. It's grown to 4.5 and has some internal echo in it.
The other cyst was a 2.1 mildly complex cyst with one septation is now grown to 2.5cm with a 6mm mural nodule with no flow.

I am very scared. I am seeing a gynecologist in the next few days and will need to do the CA 125 and likely an MRI.

I am worried sick I can't eat or sleep and noticing all sorts of symptoms now such as diarrhea, no appetite and pain in pelvis. I don't know if it's anxiety induced or real. I don't have a distended stomach but I always had one so can't say.

If it's ovarian cancer, how quickly can it grow? The cysts didn't grow huge amount in 3 months, but they grew.

Any advice? I am freaking out!

Old 03-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
mustluvdogs
(female)

mustluvdogs HB User

I'm so sorry. That must be very scary!
I had a dermoid cyst several years ago on my ovary that was almost 5 inches! I didn't feel it or know it was there. The ob/gyn found it during my annual checkup. They removed it via surgery and now I'm fine.
Does cancer run in your family?
I don't know your answer, but
just try to breathe and stay out of the negative thinking. We can really talk ourselves crazy thinking the worst.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #6
andia
(female)

andia HB User

Hi,

Thanks, yes, I am scared. I am 46 and premenopausal. There is no cancer in my family, so hopefully that stays true.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I'm sorry these cysts haven't resolved. Ovarian cysts, including benign ones, can grow quickly and get quite large. I've heard of some being the size of melons.

I've read in quite a few places that the CA-125 test is not very useful at diagnosing ovarian cancer. A number of benign conditions, gynecologic and otherwise, can cause an elevated result. For me and a friend who both had benign ovarian cysts, specifically mucinous cystadenomas, my CA-125 was in range (less than 36) while hers was in the 1000's.

We both ended up being overtreated and suffering the fall-out (and still do). I wish I had done things differently. My gynecologist failed to fully inform me and instead instilled fear of a diagnosis, ovarian cancer, that was very unlikely for me to have.

Best of luck with your upcoming appointment. Be sure to make a list of questions especially since doctors tend to be rushed and only allot so much time for each appointment. I know I was rushed and didn't get complete answers to my questions. And in hindsight, some of those answers were flat-out wrong and / or deceptive. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
andia
(female)

andia HB User

Just to update incase anyone is wondering. I had my ca 125 (i did it during my period, so was scared it would cause false positive) but it came back at 11.

I finally met with gyn/onc and will be having surgery within the month. The Dr thinks it benign, from looking at the u/s and ca 125, so I am trying to get some hope from that. I am still very worried as I read about false negative ca 125, where some women have advanced ovarian cancer and low ca 125. The Dr also mentioned that the 2 cysts might actually be one big one which would be about 7cm.

I am also having a lot of symptoms which makes me more worried. IBS, feeling pressure and fullness in my abdomen, rib pain on the side of the cyst, shortness of breath. I am also having extreme anxiety, so not sure if that is adding to my symptoms.

Anyone else going through this?

Old 03-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #9
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's the problem with the CA125 - false positives and negatives - which is why I don't understand why they bother doing the test.

I hope your surgery goes well and it's a benign cyst(s) as most are!

Old 03-29-2017, 08:48 PM   #10
mustluvdogs
(female)

mustluvdogs HB User

Hi Andia-
Thanks for the update! I'm sure you're stressed. Try to keep positive and keep busy so you don't over think it. (I know that's easier said than done).
Hang in there!

Old 04-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #11
andia
(female)

andia HB User

Thanks, I'll update the thread after surgery. I find a lot of people don't update with final outcome, so I'll make sure to incase anyone else goes through this. I also wanted to mention that my surgery is a laprascopic to remove the L ovary and L hydrosalpinx tube. They don't want to do a TAH unless frozen biopsy comes back positive for cancer. I am in canada and I guess they don't like to take all the female organs unless there is a good reason.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #12
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm sorry to hear they're removing your left ovary and tube but it's good they aren't removing any other organs since they have non-reproductive functions.

I hope all goes well!

Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 PM   #13
andia
(female)

andia HB User

Hi,

Just to update.. i had surgery almost 3 weeks ago. Had my L tube and L ovary removed. The final pathology came back benign. I had a simple cyst as well as a complex cyst on ovary. The complex was a serous cystotedoma. I am very grateful to have it come back benign. It was the scariest thing to go through.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:00 AM   #14
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad to hear it was benign! Mine was a mucinous cystadenoma.

Reply Reply