It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

Can't stop crying..

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2017, 11:52 PM   #1
nerd1992
(female)

nerd1992 HB User
Can't stop crying..

Today I found out I have an abnormal pap and positive for high-risk HPV. This doesn't make sense to me because over a year ago I was completely clear. This is the first time I've had an abnormal pap. I can't help but feel terrible about myself. I haven't had sexual intercourse in a little over a year now. I was with an ex for 3 years and then I did hook up with 3 people after him but I ALWAYS USED PROTECTION. I feel like a **** even though I never really went around like I knew other people did. I am terrified of getting cervical cancer, scared that my life will never go back to normal again, or even find someone who will want to end up with me after knowing I'm positive for HPV. I've read that its very common and almost everyone will have it at least once in their life but still... I can't help but feel like crap about myself and that I'll never be healthy again. I'm 25 years old. My GYN told me that I shouldn't worry but how can I not worry!? I'm going back to get a colposcopy soon. Has anyone has an abnormal pap and pos for HPV and then it went away on its own? I'm so worried. HELP! What can I do to get myself out of this mess? UGH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2017, 05:11 AM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: Can't stop crying..

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I did have an abnormal pap many years ago and my doctor merely suggested doing another in 6 months or so. I've never had another abnormal one. That was prior to HPV testing.

You're correct that many have HPV and it's transient / comes and goes. I've read that two of the HPV types cause most cervical cancers. Do you know what type you have? And have you checked into the accuracy of HPV testing?

If it's any consolation, cervical cancer generally takes many years to develop from abnormal cells. And oftentimes abnormal cells revert back to normal especially in young women like you.

I hope that eases your mind a bit. Please let us know what more you find out.

Reply Reply