It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• ECC or LEEP

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-11-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
    bethA
    (female)

bethA HB User
    ECC or LEEP

I had a colposcopy done two weeks ago after a LSIL pap. During the colpo, the dr. took a biopsy and did an ECC. The biopsy came back mild squamous atypia which the doctor said was something that would normally clear on its on and is just a watch and see result. However, for the ECC results the pathologist noted "A minute fragment of markedly atypical glandular cells in a background of otherwise unremarkable endocervical glandular tissue". My Dr. said the pathologist even called her to discuss the findings because it was literally like 10 abnormal cells and even went so far as to say it could have been contamination of the sample. The other glandular cells were normal and the small size of abnormal cells made it impossible to get any additional information from them. Now my Dr. has said I can have the ECC done again or have a LEEP procedure. Jumping straight to the LEEP seems excessive to me but I'm worried that if I just have the ECC either 1) it comes back with atypical glandular cells again and then I'll have to have other procedures done (probably including a LEEP) or 2) they don't find any more atypical glandular cells and I'll be worried that cancer is hiding (and growing) somewhere. And I wonder if the atypical glandular cells could be coming from elsewhere (uterus, ovaries, etc) and even if I have the LEEP, it won't take care of the problem since we don't really know for sure where the problem is. Any advice on what to do or what could be the cause of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    atypical glandular cells, cervical cancer, colposcopy, ecc, leep