It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

just scared

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
Gigi45
(female)

Gigi45 HB User
just scared

My c.t. scan results:
1. Very Large low-attenuation mass in the lower abdomen and upper pelvis highly suspicious for neoplasm likely uterine or ovarian in origin.
2. Possible fluid and air containing structure in or adjacent to the distal ileum. Further evaluation with fluoroscopic small bowel series recommended.
3. Lobulated low-attenuation lesion in the right lower quadrant possibly an enlarged lymph node.

My ca-125 was 123

I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Tuesday. Scared they will find cancer in my colon. I just don't know my future and cant do anything at this point.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: just scared

Gigi45,

I'm not exactly sure what all of those results mean, but it seems that nothing was said about cancer, right? So that's good, don't get depressed over it.

As far as the colonoscopy, I wouldn't worry about that either. Cancer doesn't run in your family and you are a vegan. That's a huge plus. Studies have shown that lots of fiber from natural whole foods keeps things moving in the colon. Vegans often have two large ( bulky) bowel movements per day. That lowers your risk considerably.

What the doctors are doing may be called "defensive medicine". They may be aware that cancer is unlikely but are doing it to protect themselves against any possible law suit in the future. Plus the fact that your insurance is going to pay for it.

There has been lots of cancer in my family - all kinds of cancer. But no colon cancer. So with my lifestyle as a vegan and no history of colon cancer in my family, I have always been very confident. I have never had a colonoscopy and am a very healthy 77 year old who has never had any kind of cancer. I have no health concerns of any kind and am not in need of any medications. The average senior my age takes at least 3 medications per day, and 5 or more is not uncommon.

Keep a positive attitude.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
Gigi45
(female)

Gigi45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Gigi45,

I'm not exactly sure what all of those results mean, but it seems that nothing was said about cancer, right? So that's good, don't get depressed over it.

As far as the colonoscopy, I wouldn't worry about that either. Cancer doesn't run in your family and you are a vegan. That's a huge plus. Studies have shown that lots of fiber from natural whole foods keeps things moving in the colon. Vegans often have two large ( bulky) bowel movements per day. That lowers your risk considerably.

What the doctors are doing may be called "defensive medicine". They may be aware that cancer is unlikely but are doing it to protect themselves against any possible law suit in the future. Plus the fact that your insurance is going to pay for it.

There has been lots of cancer in my family - all kinds of cancer. But no colon cancer. So with my lifestyle as a vegan and no history of colon cancer in my family, I have always been very confident. I have never had a colonoscopy and am a very healthy 77 year old who has never had any kind of cancer. I have no health concerns of any kind and am not in need of any medications. The average senior my age takes at least 3 medications per day, and 5 or more is not uncommon.

Keep a positive attitude.
I have to have a colonoscopy first then I have a 7" mass on my ovaries. so I have to get that removed. scared it is cancer because they told the indicators point to cancer. It is enough to drive you crazy.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

What indicators?Everything I seen that you've posted says "no"except for the CA125 test which is notorious for false positives.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #5
Gigi45
(female)

Gigi45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
What indicators?Everything I seen that you've posted says "no"except for the CA125 test which is notorious for false positives.

They did an additional sonagram besides the ct scan and the doctor told me she saw fluid, blood and material in the mass. I am slightly anemic. They also said won't know anything until they take a tissue sample during the operation.

The following user gives a hug of support to Gigi45:
Harri3t (02-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

But those are not signs of cancer per se. I would not be having a complete hysterectomy based on that. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #7
Harri3t
Senior Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

Hi, Gigi, Please just take things one day at a time. I think it's only natural to worry but don't let it eat you alive. Even in the best of health, all any of us are assured of is this moment.

You said you're having an ovary removed soon for biopsy, not a hysterectomy, correct? FWIW, that seems reasonable to me judging from your test results. A second opinion is always an option but biopsy of a suspicious mass sounds like a good move to me. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you the very best.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:14 AM   #8
Gigi45
(female)

Gigi45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri3t View Post
Hi, Gigi, Please just take things one day at a time. I think it's only natural to worry but don't let it eat you alive. Even in the best of health, all any of us are assured of is this moment.

You said you're having an ovary removed soon for biopsy, not a hysterectomy, correct? FWIW, that seems reasonable to me judging from your test results. A second opinion is always an option but biopsy of a suspicious mass sounds like a good move to me. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you the very best.

Well the mass is making my ovaries hidden so they don't know what they are dealing with until I have the surgery. They want to do a complete hysterectomy. The mass is 7 inches big. My aunts and grandmother had hysterectomys because they had masses too but no cancer. Cancer never ran in my family just heart disease.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:43 AM   #9
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

WEll then, I certainly would not have a complete hysterectomy under those circumstances. Your organs have other functions that will be compromised. Just have the one ovary removed if you can't find a surgeon good enough to just remove the mass...but only once it's determined to be benign.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:43 AM   #10
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Gigi - I know the thought of cancer can be overwhelming... been there. I wish I had not let that fear drive my decision making. I am one of the millions of women who have had an unnecessary hysterectomy. I had always trusted my gynecologist of 20 years and he used cancer scare tactics and was deceitful about my condition. I have done so much reading on this subject in the last 11 years. The large majority of hysterectomies and oophorectomies are unnecessary. I've read that less than 10% are done for a cancer diagnosis.

The #1 killer of women is heart disease. Hysterectomy without ovary removal has been shown to increase risk of heart disease. And ovary removal increases that risk even more. Keep in mind that heart disease is a silent killer. There are many more increased health risks associated with female organ removal. Removal of only one ovary with the uterus and other ovary left intact has even been shown to increase risk for some chronic health conditions. And removal of just the uterus with ovaries left intact has other long-term negative effects besides increased risk of heart disease.

Fear is normal but can make for decisions we later regret. And of course in this case, it cannot be remedied or reversed.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:20 AM   #11
Harri3t
Senior Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

Thanks for the clarification Gigi. I definitlely misunderstood. I think I'd ask for a second opinion or at least a less radical approach for now. Have you asked your doctor what ALL your options are? As said, a total can't be undone.

Take some slow deep breaths and hang on. You'll get through this. If anything, considering your family history of the same, you certainly have hope on your side.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
Gigi45
(female)

Gigi45 HB User

So the colonoscopy was clear which is great.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:13 AM   #13
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Glad to hear the colonoscopy was clear. Have you discussed keeping all your parts if the frozen section of the cyst is benign? Or at least everything but the one ovary? Far too many women lose organs unnecessarily. If you had a benign cyst or growth on your kidney, they would not remove your entire kidney much less the other kidney along with a third organ. Unfortunately, the gynecology consent forms are usually open ended so the patient has to revise and have the doctor sign off on all the changes or you have no recourse if parts are removed unnecessarily.

I discovered after the removal of my parts that residents have to do a certain number of hysterectomies and that may have been part of the reason my perfectly healthy uterus was removed. But neither of my ovaries needed to be removed either. Cystectomies are more tedious and time consuming than oophorectomies but I've read that doctors don't get paid more for them.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #14
Gigi45
(female)

Gigi45 HB User

So I got a lapenscopy done where they went in and took sample from everywhere - the big tumor and small ones - they tested them and it came back neg for cancer. Now I have to find a surgeon to take out the mass. I am getting a second opinion because I didn't like the first surgeon.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:22 AM   #15
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

So glad to hear it's not cancer! It's good you were persistent in getting a diagnosis versus just taking the recommendation for a "complete hysterectomy" / removal of uterus, tubes and ovaries (which is called a hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy).

I wish you the best in finding a good surgeon who will remove just the mass leaving your organs intact along with their lifelong functions. There are times when the ovary cannot be saved but I've read that surgeons with good cystectomy skills can almost always save at least part of the ovary leaving you with the hormones it will produce your whole life. It may be helpful to get a copy of your medical records to take to surgeons.

Reply Reply