It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Help! So scared - Complex Ovarian Cyst

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #1
    Sky1105
    (female)

Sky1105 HB User
    Help! So scared - Complex Ovarian Cyst

I was just diagnosed yesterday with a 2cm complex ovarian cyst and uterine fibroid. I went to the Drs due to prolonged bleeding. They did a transvaginal ultra sound, saw the fibroid and the cyst in the right ovary. I'm terrified, went for blood work today to test my C 125 levels. I'm so afraid that this will be cancer. I have no pain just from the fibroid. What can I expect next! I can't sleep, eat nothing. Also waking up feeling nauseous can this be from the fibroid? I feel drained no energy and I think that is from the consistent bleeding g from the fibroid as well, do fibroids ever stop bleeding? Can someone please take some time to answer my questions I'm so scared.

Last edited by Sky1105; 03-15-2018 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Additional information

The following user gives a hug of support to Sky1105:
    Froodie (03-15-2018)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2018, 03:41 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Help! So scared - Complex Ovarian Cyst

Oh dear! So sorry this is impacting you this way. Ovarian cysts and fibroids are almost always benign.Would be very surprised if yours are anything else. And please note that the CA125 test is notorious for false positives. Birth control may help with your bleeding or the fibroid may need to be removed.I'm sorry if your doctor led you to believe otherwise.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #3
    Froodie
    (female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User

I had ovarian cancer four years ago. I had the CA-125 and it was normal, yet I had cancer so don't let them rely on that for a diagnosis.

Your cyst is only small mine was 9cm x 6cm. I don't know anything about fibroids.

Whilst I was waiting for results and answers I had support from my GP, who prescribed amitryptiline to help me sleep.

You will get through this, I did and I'm really well now.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I'm sorry this is causing you so much fear and angst. You didn't say what your doctor told you but most ovarian cysts, even complex ones, are benign / non-cancerous and most ovarian cysts resolve on their own. 2cm is very small so a follow-up u/s may be the recommended plan? Fibroids are common benign growths that oftentimes cause no symptoms. If bleeding is abnormally heavy there are hormonal and non-hormonal options to treat it (contraceptives or Rx tranexamic acid or NSAID's).

CA125 is not useful for diagnosing ovarian cancer since there are too many false positives and false negatives... so not sure why they even do it.

I had a large complex cyst (9.5 cm) that probably needed to be removed but my gynecologist should have removed just the cyst (cystectomy) since the frozen section (done while under anesthesia in the operating room) showed it was benign. He continued to remove all my female organs (uterus, ovaries, tubes). It upended my life in ways I never could have imagined. That was 12 years ago and not a day goes by that I don't regret it. Sure, if I'd had cancer, it would be a whole different situation. But I didn't.

I personally did not think I had ovarian cancer since a very small percentage of women ever get it and I have no family history. But my gynecologist instilled fear in me and rushed me into surgery.

So take a deep breath and don't let fear take over as it can cloud our judgment resulting in bad decisions that can leave us with regret. Cyber hugs.

Reply Reply