It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Moderate free fluid on pelvic ultrasound, very scared!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #1
    carysmom
    (female)

carysmom HB User
    Unhappy Moderate free fluid on pelvic ultrasound, very scared!

I'm so scared! A transvaginal ultrasound showed moderate free fluid in the pelvis the radiologist suspects are ascites, plus an enlarged ovary and unknown hypoechoic mass "possibly a subtle fibroid." I went in for worsening bladder/pelvic pressure and change in bowel habits over the last couple months, though I've had bloating issues on and off for a while now. Everything I've read says ascites mean advanced cancer, and the symptoms I've been having match symptoms for fluid. I have an appt with a gynecologist next week and assume he'll schedule a CT scan, though I'm tempted (and also terrified) to just go to the ER and get one done asap.

I'm a 36 year old mom of a four year old I thought I'd get to see grow up. I'm a wreck-haven't slept in days (though insomnia has been present for months now), appetite has vanished since I saw the report. I can't focus on anything, not even my family. I don't know what to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2019, 10:34 PM   #2
    TreeFrog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB User
    Re: Moderate free fluid on pelvic ultrasound, very scared!

carysmom,

That also may also prove to be a treatable infection or just benign fluid.
    Try to remind yourself of this fact so you can breathe and relax.

A radiologist has no business terrifying you with 'suspicions'.

This is a time to find out the facts before getting upset.
    Let us know what facts you find out.

Hugs,

Old 10-07-2019, 05:27 AM   #3
    sgtgrl
    (female)

sgtgrl HB User

Itís so hard not to let your fears and emotions get the best of you right now. If the radiologist thought it was something extremely time sensitive, they wouldíve sent you straight to CT. Try to deal in facts only right now. The fact is, itís not cancer until they say itís cancer. I have Moderate complex free fluid in cul de sac and it was from a ruptured ovarian cyst so there are lots of options outside of something sinister

Try to relax, if they thought it was really bad, you wouldíve been fast tracked

Old 10-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #4
    carysmom
    (female)

carysmom HB User

Thanks for the replies, all. Still in limbo here, frustratingly!

Gynecologist ordered a repeat ultrasound, which I had last week, and after leaving multiple messages this week I finally got through to his medical assistant who confirmed there is still moderate fluid and a likely fibroid but ďnothing that looks like an emergency, or they would have contacted you.Ē The soonest they can get me in to discuss with a doctor is this Monday.

My CA125 blood test did come back negative (10) but Iíve still got pelvic pressure and my lower abdomen looks and feels fuller and more rounded than normal! Everyone seems to be brushing me off, yet every single thing I read online about more than a little bit of free fluid emphasizes cancer! Feel like Iím losing my mind waiting for answers. :-/

Last edited by Administrator; 10-23-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I have no clue what "sites" you are reading that say ascites are always a sign of cancer but all I could find is one that cites "malignant ascites" which you don't indicate you have. Salt intake and alcohol seem to be more common causes.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #6
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I know our minds tend to go to worst case scenario. But that can make it hard to think logically which can set us up for bad decisions. Hoping you get more info soon.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:32 PM   #7
    carysmom
    (female)

carysmom HB User

Titchou

Youíre right that Ascites is often related to liver cirrhosis and end stage kidney disease, and those are highly unlikely causes for me. But itís also seen in many pelvic/abdominal cancers, as (from what I understand) the cancer cells irritate the peritoneum and cause fluid. Iíve been (stupidly) googling everything related to moderate free fluid in pelvis on ultrasound looking for possible benign causes and havenít had any luck. Minimal fluid isnít worrisome, but moderate seems to be.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:40 AM   #8
    TreeFrog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB User

Dear carysmom,

The wording you gave us is "the radiologist described as possibly a subtle fibroid".
    Ascites definitely does not at all most likely mean advanced cancer. Please for your child's sake if not for your own, stop the googling!

The key words here are SUBTLE and POSSIBLY.
    The definitions of those very words mean that the details are 'difficult to analyze' and 'unknown'.

That, dear, is NOT AT ALL a cancer diagnosis!

First of all, you might not even actually have ascites. But if you do, ascites can be caused by low protein levels, or infection, or occur from drinking alcohol.

Right now, there is no reason at all to assume you have cancer.

Talking yourself into this level of terror isn't helping you at all, even if you did have a cancer. I assume if you did you would want to change your choices and do whatever is healthy and possible in order to function and survive, right? Then you need to settle yourself down and be realistic. Yes, there is something to find out more about. And, perhaps you do need to make some healthy changes in your life.

Breathe, girl.
    This is not the end of your life. You have a child and your child needs you to be realistic.

Reply Reply