It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Discharge and tissue from LEEP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2003, 11:18 PM   #1
    aurakat

aurakat HB User
    Discharge and tissue from LEEP

I'm so distressed. I sick of not feeling normal. I just had the LEEP procedure done last Thursday (Dec 4) and I had no bleeding (thankfully, i think). I didn't really have any discharge right after the procedure. Day 1 after I had very very very light yellowishbrown stuff that smelled like iron or burning metal. I hear that this is normal. But yesterday and today this brownish watery discharge is continually getting worse. I wasn't too terribly worried until today. Tonight I passed a large piece of tissue (about 3/4 inch long and 1/4 inch wide). Now here it is 1 am and I can't sleep again. Has anyone else had tissue come out? Or has anyone else had this metalish smelling discharge??? I know different people have had different responses, but is this normal? I get married on Jan. 1 and I'm terrified that I won't be able to enjoy my honeymoon because I'll be so worried still. Help please anyone. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 07:12 AM   #2
    twhite
    (female)

twhite HB User
    Re: Discharge and tissue from LEEP

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aurakat
    I'm so distressed. I sick of not feeling normal. I just had the LEEP procedure done last Thursday (Dec 4) and I had no bleeding (thankfully, i think). I didn't really have any discharge right after the procedure. Day 1 after I had very very very light yellowishbrown stuff that smelled like iron or burning metal. I hear that this is normal. But yesterday and today this brownish watery discharge is continually getting worse. I wasn't too terribly worried until today. Tonight I passed a large piece of tissue (about 3/4 inch long and 1/4 inch wide). Now here it is 1 am and I can't sleep again. Has anyone else had tissue come out? Or has anyone else had this metalish smelling discharge??? I know different people have had different responses, but is this normal? I get married on Jan. 1 and I'm terrified that I won't be able to enjoy my honeymoon because I'll be so worried still. Help please anyone. Thanks.

Hello, well I been through the leep procedure which was on 11/3, but no tissue came out, but when I had a colpo done which was on 10/8 where they scrap the cervix which I believe you may have went through before going on to the next step well anyway I did in fact have some tissue that came out of my cervix. I wrapped it up in some tissue and showed my mom b/c shes a nurse she said all it was some scarred tissue that was left inside of my cervix that they didn't get, so that night it happened I called a hospital for some med advice and the nurse told me the same thing over the phone, but never heard of it coming out after the LEEP, but if your really not sure ask your doc but Im pretty sure thats all it was.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:14 AM   #3
    Lucky87531

Lucky87531 HB User

I had a cold cone biopsy, and never bled once after it, but I did have some tissue come out later. About the same size that you are talking about. If you are very worried about it, definatly call your doctor. she will know best!

Annie

Old 12-10-2003, 12:23 AM   #4
    aurakat

aurakat HB User
    Smile Re: Discharge and tissue from LEEP

Thanks for responding... Today was a little better with a little less discharge. I did have another very small piece of tissue today, but nowhere near the size of the other one. I'm beginning to emotionally feel better. Does anyone know if I can do situps now? I feel so lazy.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:59 AM   #5
    twhite
    (female)

twhite HB User

I think you should be just fine doing sit ups.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:32 AM   #6
    tracy3803

tracy3803 HB User

My guess is the dark color and smell are from the burned area and/or the charcoal-type solution they use to stop the bleeding. My doctor had told me I might see a dark discharge with a funky smell afer mine that sounds like what you described.

I had a LEEP a month ago. After two days I didn't really have any bleeding but I had a discharge for a few more days. 5 days after the bleeding stopped I felt lazy and I did 80 situps. The next night I started bleeding again. After a week of bleeding and discharge I woke up and passed something that looked like a cherry (ick). I called my doctor's office that day and they said it was probably just a clot, and if the bleeding wasn't heavy, to wait for my 2 week follow up, which was the next day. My doctor said I was healing fine and as long as I wasn't going through more than a pad an hour, even if the bleeding / discharge kept up for another week it should be ok. After a couple more days, my period or what was left hit. When that ended I finally stopped bleeding, about 3.5 weeks after the LEEP. Longer than expected, but finally done.

My advice is take iron, and take it easy. Or go for a walk, but I would be scared to recommend situps! That probably had nothing to do with it...but it made me leery of doing them again until it all stopped.

Good luck!!

Has anyone else had tissue come out?

Old 12-11-2003, 04:27 PM   #7
    xine78

xine78 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aurakat
    Thanks for responding... Today was a little better with a little less discharge. I did have another very small piece of tissue today, but nowhere near the size of the other one. I'm beginning to emotionally feel better. Does anyone know if I can do situps now? I feel so lazy.
    I watched my LEEP on the screen, so my doctor showed me what it is. It's some kind of gauze they put in there after the procedure. She said some people kind of absorb it & it never comes out and others will expel it. She said it was normal either way.

Mine came out in the shower (how convenient) and it was a pretty big chunk. There are also the smaller chunks that come from the medicine they put on to stop the bleeding, but I don't think I had any of that.

Old 12-11-2003, 04:30 PM   #8
    xine78

xine78 HB User

PS... She said not to do anything that would raise my heart rate for 4 weeks (which would include sit-ups I imagine) and to tell my fiance that jewelry soothes me :-)

Old 12-11-2003, 09:17 PM   #9
    aurakat

aurakat HB User

Well, I thought it was all getting better, and today the discharge got bad again. I know it's sad to say, but I really hate my doctor. He doesn't answer questions and he doesn't explain anything. I've found almost all of my info online or here. I would change doctors, but since he is the one that started it, I didn't really want to change. I don't know, but I'm going to have to call someone about this. It's driving me insane. Thanks to all of you - I'll keep you posted

Old 12-12-2003, 09:23 AM   #10
    aurakat

aurakat HB User

Thanks everyone. I called the doctor's office today and they called in a prescription. They said that it is just an infection. It obviously happens all the time since they just called it in over the phone with no trip in to the doctor. Hey, works for me!

Old 12-13-2003, 11:11 AM   #11
    aurakat

aurakat HB User

Last night I used the medicing - they gave me metrogel vaginal - does anyone else think this is stupid? They tell us nothing intervaginal and then they give me meds to put in there? crazy. anyways. i used it last night, and today I am in major pain. I'm not sure what's going on. I'll keep you posted. I was proud, I finally got guts to tell my sister about it today. She's a nurse.

Old 12-15-2003, 11:21 AM   #12
    Lucky87531

Lucky87531 HB User

Aurakrat, that seems very weird that they just assumed it was an infection. If what you are using is just an antibiotic, it doesnt seem weird to be putting it up there. What is weird is that it hurts. My sister had to go through several leeps that were unsuccessful with a doctor that was mean and didnt answer any questions. actually, my sister asked her a question and her doctor said "look it up on the internet" so needless to say my sis switched doctors and got her dysplasia taken care of on the new doc's first try. You might want to think about a new doc eventhough you are hesitant since you started with this one Let us know how you feel!

Annie

Closed Thread