It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Ignoring Doctor advice on Colposcopy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2003, 03:51 PM   #1
    joaniegirl

joaniegirl HB User
    Unhappy Ignoring Doctor advice on Colposcopy

I had my first abnormal pap in july '02. Since then I've had one colposcopy -- horrid and awful in my opinion.

My abnormal cells are ASCUS and are caused by HPV (determined by special testing). This much I know. After my Colposcopy my Doc said "come back in six months 'cause sometimes this stuff clears up on its own."

So, on my last pap they determine I'm still "Abnormal" but the amount of abnormal cells is smaller. Doc then says: So it looks better than the last pap and it may be "clearing itself"...then she tells me to come back for another colposcopy. (??!!)

My feeling is this: if it looks like things are "improving", so to speak, why put myself thru another torture treatment?? Instead my gut instinct is to wait another 3-6 months and have a repeat pap then. In the meantime I was considering trying some alternative treatments, such as Beta Mannan.

I'd like to know what others who have been through this think. I sometimes feel like you have to do what you think is right...not the doctors. And since I am not high-grade at this point I'd like to stay away from unnecessary medical procedures.

Adding to my stress: I just got married and desperately want to get pregnant but now worry about all this crap messing that up for me. :0(

Please send prayers and happy thoughts my way and I'll send them right
    back- atcha!

Thanks for listening!
    joaniegirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2003, 05:08 PM   #2
    cassia

cassia HB User
    Re: Ignoring Doctor advice on Colposcopy

hello .... i just wanted to share my story which is similar to your's. my pap test i took was abnormal , but it was my first abnormal pap since i started getting them.. my doctor told me i had pre-cancer cells.. then in nov i had to go for a colposcopy ..which was uncomfortable .. my results came back which was to that i had an option... to wait and in 6 months go for another biopsy or go for a leep procedure to clear the pre cancer cells .. so i spoke to them and i decided to go for the leep which is on thursday.. i just feel like why wait to see what will or will not be if i can just remove the bad cells... so my fingers are crossed that it comes back cleared.. so i guess the biopsy is just a precaution to see the status on your cervix... stay well

Old 12-13-2003, 06:40 PM   #3
    liz109

liz109 HB User
    Re: Ignoring Doctor advice on Colposcopy

I'm an advocate for medical treatments. A colposcopy is not going to hinder you from carrying a child.

I had an abnormal pap. Had a colposcopy. Came back as severe dysplasia. Was supposed to have LEEP, but doc recommended a cone. Had that done, and low and behold, something that wasn't supposed to be anything but dysplasia was stage 1BII cervical cancer, which I just had a hysterectomy to remove 3 weeks ago.

A pap is not a good indicator of your stage of dysplasia. A colposcopy is. Would you rather wait and find out that cancer had been growing inside of you all this time, and you choose to ignore it? I'm sorry, I'm not meaning to sound harsh, but I'm only 28, and NEVER thought that ANY of this could happen to me. And it all happened in a 1 year time frame. Do yourself and your husband a favor, go through the 10 min torture test. It could save your life!

________
    Stage 1BII cervical cancer
    Diagnosed 11/14/03
    Radical Hysterectom 11/25/03

Closed Thread