It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Awaiting results of biopsy - help............

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2003, 05:59 AM   #1
    KAS1

KAS1 HB User
    Question Awaiting results of biopsy - help............

Hi everyone,

I had my colposcopy and biopsy (which was extremely uncomfortable) and I am awaiting my results. I have been told this can take anything from 4-6weeks and I am absolutely terrified. I know that it isn't Cancer. However, as much as I try NOT to think about the treatment which I will need to have its the mai thing on my mind!

I have a very supportive partner whom I have been with for 2 years. We discuss my concerns and fears on a regular basis. I guess Im worried about the grading which was desribed as "slight minor changes" when they took the initial first two smears at my doctor BUT moving to slightly minor/moderate when the Consultant took my colposcopy and biopsy. Im so scared about the treatment. How long does it take? How does the Llettz (if thats how its spelt??) treatment differ to the laser treatment? Is it as bad as the biopsy and colpo? What about a burning smell which has been described?

Im pretty sure that I won't get the results until after the Christmas and the hospital say "I have nothing to worry about". To them its just routine procedure. To me,its very upsetting to know that after years of normal smears, this has changed to abnormal which may be a result of HPV (first two abnormal smears did not show HPV but who knows). I just want the whole thing over and done with. Ive never been so scared as I am now.

Can you actually feel the pain of the treatment? How long until you can do normal things e.g.work/study/drive etc.....Does it leave a huge hole in the cervix and if so, how long does this take to heal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 09:35 PM   #2
    Lucky87531

Lucky87531 HB User
    Re: Awaiting results of biopsy - help............

KAS... well, every doctor seems to have different opinions and solutions to abnormal cells. I dont think it is possible to tell the severity of the abnormalities through a pap smear. That is what the colpo/biopsy is for. So I dont know how the doctor told you that it is now mild/moderate without having the test results back. So, I would NOT worry about it until you do get your results back. Depending on your biopsy results, the doctor will suggest a treatment. If it is just mild, the doctor might want to wait and see if your body can conquer the abnormalities on its own. But seeing as how you have already had a few abnormal paps with no biopsies, you may be past that option. If your biopsy results come back as moderate dysplasia, your doctor will probably suggest a procedure called a LEEP. This is where they burn off the abnormalities in the tissue by using a laser, and it can usually be done in the doctors office and the whole procedure takes about 1/2 hour. As for the Llettz (?), i have no idea what that is, sorry. The only other option I have heard of for treating dysplasia is a cone biopsy, which is what I had due to severe dysplasia. I had to have this because the abnormal cells had started to spread further into my cervical canal, so they took a cone-shaped biopsy out to make sure they got all of the cells. However, this had to be done in an in-out patient hospital and i was knocked out for it. If you let your cervix heal properly after these procedures, you should heal up fine with minimal scarring. And it is still possible to get pregnant and make beautiful healthy babies. So try not to stress out about your biopsies, especially when you dont know what you have. We are very lucky to have treatments for these conditions these days anyway!!! But we will be praying for you, let us know how it [email protected]

Annie

Old 12-17-2003, 07:24 AM   #3
    Lucky87531

Lucky87531 HB User

KAS, just to answer a few more of your questions that i missed.... As I understand it, they numb the cervix when they do a LEEP, and a lot of women hardly feel a thing... maybe just some pressure. For the burning smell, they often times use a vaccuum to suck up the smell so you might not even smell anything. As for recovery... you should probably take it easy for a few days. I had my CKC done on a Friday so I had all weekend to rest until Monday. However, my surgery was a little more envasive compared to a LEEP, and I went shopping for 4 hours the next day. The only trouble I had was my back started to cramp up but not bad enough to take any meds ( i think it was my swollen cervix putting pressure on it). I never even once bled after surgery, but did have some funky discharge. No biggy though. In fact, I never even had to take Mortin or pain killers of any kind. I dont know if I just have an awesome doc or I just got lucky or what, but a lot of surgeries happen will smooth sailing. So don't assume you will have a horror story surgery, everything will probably go smoothly without a hitch!!! In fact, I can almost guarantee it!!! And recovery should be a breeze!!! let us know how everything goes, adn try not to worry. If you end up having to have a LEEP, you can ask for a Vikoden or some other relaxing medication to take before you go to the office. That seems to help a lot of women who are experiencing anxiety. Ok I will stop writing now... I didn mean to write so much, but I hope this helped!!! Feel free to ask any more questions!!

Annie

Old 12-18-2003, 02:32 AM   #4
    KAS1

KAS1 HB User

Thank you so much Annie. That has really HELPED. I guess I just want the whole thing over and done as it is affecting my ability to sleep, but as you said I should wait for the results and then I will know everything.

I guess im scared about the results (even though the most severe CIN can be treated),the invasive uncomfortable procedure and the after effects. I was in quite a bit of pain after the colpo and biopsy and the tissue and other things that were coming out of me was HORRIBLE.

Your right we are very lucky to have these treatments available in this day and age.

I shall let you know when I get the results. Are they quite detailed - do they say if you have HPV? and how long did you wait to have the treatment after receiving the results? or does this depend on the severity of the abnormal cells?

Old 12-18-2003, 08:45 AM   #5
    Lucky87531

Lucky87531 HB User

Well, for me, the colpo/biopsy was more uncomfortable than the actual surgery to treat my dysplasia. But then again, I was asleep during my surgery. It is assumed that if you have dysplasia, you have HPV. I have only heard of about 2 cases where the doctor tested for HPV and they were negative. I found out that I had Severe Dysplasia (CIN3) and I waited about a month and a half, or two months after I found out to have the procedure due to school. Eventhough my doc told me it takes years for dysplasia to turn into cancer, I was still afraid because I had gone from normal paps to severe dysplasia in about 7 months. Recovery was a breeze for me. LIke i said, I never even had to take any pain meds. I have to go in for my follow-up pap in about 2 months, so I guess we will see if it has returned!! Let us know how your results are!

Annie

Closed Thread